The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX80 files are looking good

raist3d

so far. Been playing with the photographyblog RAW files in Iridient (somewhat workable, easier to deal for now in B&W) and RAW digger, and I must say, I see the "crisp" or close to- that I was seeing with Nikon 1/ Fuji which also lack an AA filter.

A lot is said around about Olympus not using an AA filter in several of their cameras (OMD EM1, EM5MKII, PenF) but quite frankly I have yet to see that aspect of lacking an AA filter that shines in those files. Definitively the EM5 MKII does seem to have one.

The PenF is perhaps the one that makes me think maybe it doesn't really have one and what I find interesting too is that Olympus does not list anywhere in their specifications that any of their m43rds line lacks an AA Filter. Why? I say because they still have one, and it's what it seems like.

(if anyone has a link to an official Olympus website specifications page- not a rumors or interview or what nots- Official Olympus specs page, I welcome it with open arms).

The GX80 shows a bit of a difference here, and I am glad to see Panasonic seems to have kept up on that, because I do think it improves the "presence" if you will, at least for B&W.

Anyhow, these are all great cameras, I just prefer no AA where possible, glad to see Panasonic stepped on that plate.
And I believe since no GM line successor is coming, I may very well go that way. When I bought the GM5 I was expecting a GM7 announcement in 6 months with the new sensor. That didn't happen, but looks like the GX80 is fairly small and does a lot of what I want it to do.

- Ricardo

pikme

Olympus has said: "The E-M5 Mark II is equipped with TruePic VII, the same image processor also used on the OM-D flagship model, E-M1. TruePic VII optimises sharpness according to the optical characteristics of the attached lens and aperture (f-number) value, performs high-precision demosaicing optimised for the low-pass filter less sensor, and features Fine Detail II that reduces false colours. It brings out the potential of lenses to achieve sharpness and high resolution."

Perhaps more importantly though, the reviewers who actually talk to Olympus have all said the EM1, EM5ii and Pen F do not have aa filters.

Having said that, reviews seem to show that the Pen F benefits more from the lack of aa filter than either the EM1 or the Em5ii. I'm guessing it is the moire reduction process that has been improved, but just a guess since the reviews have either used jpgs or raws put through Lightroom or even OV3.

I use EM5, but Olympus has let me borrow EM1 for a week at a time in the past and I never saw any difference related to the aa filter in one but not the other (but I wasn't looking for it and mostly used OV3 for converting raws). I did see other differences related to Sony vs Panasonic sensor, though.

raist3d

Olympus has said: "The E-M5 Mark II is equipped with TruePic VII, the same image processor also used on the OM-D flagship model, E-M1. TruePic VII optimises sharpness according to the optical characteristics of the attached lens and aperture (f-number) value, performs high-precision demosaicing optimised for the low-pass filter less sensor, and features Fine Detail II that reduces false colours. It brings out the potential of lenses to achieve sharpness and high resolution."
Perhaps more importantly though, the reviewers who actually talk to Olympus have all said the EM1, EM5ii and Pen F do not have aa filters.
Actually this one to me is the less important one. It falls into the "some executive said"- why again is it not listed on the specs? Why did I notice more sharpness from my AAless Nikon J4 than my OMD EM5 MKII? I also heard a few things on that regard.

Now, don't get me wrong- I appreciate the response. Do you have the original link on where Olympus said that? Was this their press release?

Having said that, reviews seem to show that the Pen F benefits more from the lack of aa filter than either the EM1 or the Em5ii. I'm guessing it is the moire reduction process that has been improved, but just a guess since the reviews have either used jpgs or raws put through Lightroom or even OV3.
The Pen F sure seems to be the first of the m43rds Olympus that seems like it doesn't really have an AA filter. I also thought maybe the moire reduction process Olympus uses effectively takes away enough detail to give it a "has AA filter" look and they do that in the RAW files.

I use EM5, but Olympus has let me borrow EM1 for a week at a time in the past and I never saw any difference related to the aa filter in one but not the other (but I wasn't looking for it and mostly used OV3 for converting raws). I did see other differences related to Sony vs Panasonic sensor, though.
Probably because they both have it :) Anyhow, do you have a URL link to what Olympus said? I do not understand if that's the case why it's not listed in their specs. Every other company makes that clear.

Thanks again,

- Ricardo

raist3d

I found links from Olympus global that go in the direction for what you quoted, for the OMD EM 10II but not the OMD EM5 MKII.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015a/nr150205em5mk2e.jsp

OMD EM5 MKII

"The Zuiko lens produced by Olympus optical technology, the 16M Live MOS sensor bringing out the best in Zuiko image performance and providing rich tonal reproductions as well as high-sensitivity performance, the TruePic VII image processor drawing out the full power of the lens and sensor, and the in-body image stabilization mechanism effective for all lenses"

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2014a/nr140129em10e.jsp

OMD EM10 MKII

"This model is equipped with True Pic VII, the same image processor as the flagship model OM-D E-M1. Clear, high-resolution images are obtained by using Olympus-original Fine Detail II image processing technology, which maximizes lens performance by optimizing optical properties of the attached lens, sharpness correction and magnification chromatic aberration, and applying high-precision demosaicing and false color reduction processing compatible with no low-pass filter."

Now here's the interesting part. That's saying the True Pic VII has that capability, not that the OMD EM10 MKII sensor is AA-less. In fact, when it comes to the sensor entry, it doesn't say it lacks the filter:

"3) 16 megapixel Live MOS sensor with a maximum speed of ISO 25600, which is perfect for high-sensitivity shooting in dark scenes
This model is equipped with the 16 megapixel Live MOS sensor, inherited from the high-end model, OM-D E-M5. This sensor possesses high-sensitivity performance for detail and color reproduction that exceeds the sensor size, displaying its greatest power in night scenes and dark indoor shooting locations. The rich dynamic range of this sensor also makes smooth gradations possible, as well as beautifully depicting high-contrast highlights and shadows. ISO LOW (100 equivalent) mode expands the low sensitivity end. The bright, fast lens enables use of the widest aperture setting for beautiful defocusing effects."

As such, given my own experience with the OMD EM5 MKII, I can't clearly conclude it lacks one. In fact, the Olympus own text when seen in the context of the original suggests it is not an AA-less sensor.

- Ricardo

- - - Updated - - -

The Pen-F does clearly state it so: (see last sentence)

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2016a/nr160127penfe.jsp

"2. New 20 Megapixel Live MOS sensor and 5-axis VCM image stabilization for the ultimate image quality
The combination of the excellent image quality of the Zuiko Digital lens, the new 20 Megapixel Live MOS sensor, and TruePic VII image processor that brings out the best of the lens and image sensor result in the ultimate image quality. The low pass filter-less construction of the 20 Megapixel Live MOS sensor achieves high resolution and a low sensitivity ISO LOW mode equivalent to ISO 80. "

This makes total sense with the crisp look I am observing of the PenF vs the OMD EM5 MKII. The GX80 raws I have been seeing have that "sharp."

- Ricardo

PS: Thanks for making me look for this- it confirms at least officially the Pen-F lacks one.

pikme

Ricardo - I think you are parsing language too much that is subject to translation (although still clear to me they are saying there is no aa filter - you have to read it in a tortured way to come to your conclusion). All of the major reviews of these cameras state the lack of aa filter and were written by people with access to Olympus executives and engineers. As to why Olympus doesn't put it in the specs, who knows but Olympus has never been quick to jump on marketing fads. There isn't a consensus anyway that lack of aa filter is a good thing, although it is clearly a marketing feature. In any case, I am confident that the EM5ii, the EM1 and the Pen F do not have aa filter, but the Pen F is the only one that clearly shows that in the files.

The language in my first post came from the Olympus Asia website. I don't think it is still there.

Teeraash - my opinions of the difference between Sony sensor and Panasonic sensor are very subjective and come from my own type of photography and what is important to me, plus having used both Panasonic and Olympus cameras for the last 13 years. So understand that I'm talking about differences that mean a lot to me, but others wouldn't and don't notice.

First is the tendency to give a slight magenta color cast to files shot under certain conditions (e.g., outdoors in harsh slanted/backlit conditions). I do not see that with the Sony sensor but immediately saw it with the EM1. That was common with 4/3 Panasonic sensors, too.

Second, high iso files are different. The Panasonic sensor tends to get blotchy (or other technical term - 'splotchy'). Color is also affected with bleeding and hue changes. It isn't that one sensor is better with respect to how high the ISO can go, but when high iso effects show up, they are different. When the Sony sensor is affected by noise, there is 'grain' which I can leave alone or remove with penalty of reduced fine details and 'smearing'. But when the Panasonic sensor is affected noise, there is splotchiness and color changes in addition to grain, neither of which are fixed or adjusted by noise reduction processes. Personally I am practically blind to 'grain' type noise, but I am very sensitive to the blotching and color changes with the Panasonic sensors.

Remember I am comparing EM5 with EM1 - I have no idea whether this is true with newer cameras (but I still wish the EM1ii would get a Sony sensor!).

raist3d

Ricardo - I think you are parsing language too much that is subject to translation (although still clear to me they are saying there is no aa filter - you have to read it in a tortured way to come to your conclusion).
Not sure what you mean by "tortured way." I think the question of why it's not listed under the sensor is a valid question, more so, considering they clearly state it for the Pen-F. This is not a translation from google, but an English document from Olympus.

All of the major reviews of these cameras state the lack of aa filter and were written by people with access to Olympus executives and engineers.
I ask for a direct quote from Olympus because believe it or not I have also seen a couple of reviews mention the OMD EM5 MKII has one.

As to why Olympus doesn't put it in the specs, who knows but Olympus has never been quick to jump on marketing fads.
I don' think this is a marketing fad. It's a specification of the camera.

There isn't a consensus anyway that lack of aa filter is a good thing, although it is clearly a marketing feature. In any case, I am confident that the EM5ii, the EM1 and the Pen F do not have aa filter, but the Pen F is the only one that clearly shows that in the files.
Well, one possibility is that whatever processing Olympus is doing is not resulting in the same kind of crisp I have seen from other cameras whose manufacturers clearly state they have no AA filters. It's interesting that as you say, the PenF seems to be the one that clearly shows it and it's also the one that Olympus specifically mentions its sensor doesn't have one.

If all these cameras really have no AA filters then the Olympus processing to me is hampering the OMD EM5 MKII when it comes to the AA-less look.

The language in my first post came from the Olympus Asia website. I don't think it is still there.
The language I posted comes from Olympus global. I used your quote and did a google search.

[del]

Second, high iso files are different. The Panasonic sensor tends to get blotchy (or other technical term - 'splotchy'). Color is also affected with bleeding and hue changes. It isn't that one sensor is better with respect to how high the ISO can go, but when high iso effects show up, they are different. When the Sony sensor is affected by noise, there is 'grain' which I can leave alone or remove with penalty of reduced fine details and 'smearing'. But when the Panasonic sensor is affected noise, there is splotchiness and color changes in addition to grain, neither of which are fixed or adjusted by noise reduction processes. Personally I am practically blind to 'grain' type noise, but I am very sensitive to the blotching and color changes with the Panasonic sensors.
I have noticed more blue channel noise on the OMD EM5 MKII under high ISO than the PenF- another reason the new PenF interests me on the sensor end.

Remember I am comparing EM5 with EM1 - I have no idea whether this is true with newer cameras (but I still wish the EM1ii would get a Sony sensor!).
- Ricardo

biglouis

I can definitely tell the difference between cameras which do and do not have an AA filter.

My GX8 is very good and there are exceptions where the sharpness is very pronounced. However, there is a slight lack of sharpness at 100% which I don't see with, for example, my Ricoh GR or either of my Sony A7 series cameras.

Does it really make a difference? In my opinion for most practical purposes probably not. I'm not disappointed with the GX8, far from it.

If you really want to worry about sharpness - never touch film. And yet for years no one complained because in the final analysis it really makes no difference.

LouisB

raist3d

I can definitely tell the difference between cameras which do and do not have an AA filter.

My GX8 is very good and there are exceptions where the sharpness is very pronounced. However, there is a slight lack of sharpness at 100% which I don't see with, for example, my Ricoh GR or either of my Sony A7 series cameras.

Does it really make a difference? In my opinion for most practical purposes probably not. I'm not disappointed with the GX8, far from it.

If you really want to worry about sharpness - never touch film. And yet for years no one complained because in the final analysis it really makes no difference.

LouisB
It makes a difference to me. I see it, and it's my preference. It's as simple as that. To those who prefer it, it's good to know. This doesn't mean other cameras are bad or anything. There's also the aspect where I want to find the truth about Olympus m43rds and lack or not of AA, and I find curious the company seems to not list when they do.

So, It all depends what your need/want is. And no, I don't shoot film, but film has other aspects I like quite well the very few times I have shot it (medium format) about 4 years ago.

- Ricardo

biglouis

It makes a difference to me. I see it, and it's my preference. It's as simple as that. To those who prefer it, it's good to know. This doesn't mean other cameras are bad or anything. There's also the aspect where I want to find the truth about Olympus m43rds and lack or not of AA, and I find curious the company seems to not list when they do.

So, It all depends what your need/want is. And no, I don't shoot film, but film has other aspects I like quite well the very few times I have shot it (medium format) about 4 years ago.

- Ricardo
Ricardo

Apologies is my response appeared to be criticising your verdict. I completely agree with you that it is personal preference. Like you, my preference is for sensors without AA filters - however for the less well informed, I just wanted to make the point that it is not the be all and end all of camera design and I've been surprised at how forgiving I have been about the GX8 versus my Ricoh and my Leica Q - which both do not have AA filters.

Best wishes

LouisB

pikme

Ricardo, you might be interested in this excerpt from an article on the EM1 and no low pass filter/moire by Dave Etchells at Imaging Resource. The entire article plus sample photos is within the EM1 review on that site. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m1/olympus-e-m1A.HTM. Note his comments about interview with Olympus executives and engineers, weak low pass filters, and built in anti aliasing processing algorithms.

"There's been a strong move in the camera industry lately to remove optical low-pass filters (aka, anti-aliasing filters or OLPFs) from cameras, in pursuit of greater image sharpness. The Olympus OM-D E-M1 is one of the latest camera models to join this trend. At IR, we feel that eliminating low-pass filters (or making them too weak) is generally a bad idea, and a mistake for the industry. While the vast majority of natural subjects aren't subject to aliasing and moiré issues, many man-made objects have the sort of regular patterns that trigger the problem.

The real problem is that once you've got moiré or color aliasing in your images, it can be very difficult, if not impossible, to remove. In an interview of Olympus executives and R&D engineers at the E-M1 launch event, they noted that they'd built a large library of images in which moiré or aliasing could be a problem, and then worked systematically to eliminate the issue in each individual scenario. We'd say that their efforts were largely successful with the E-M1, but not entirely perfect.

[snip]

When we got the E-M1 into IRHQ, we knew we wanted to compare it to the E-M5, which has a fairly weak low-pass filter. We were surprised that there wasn't much difference between the two cameras, and in fact, once we set out to produce moiré in the E-M1, we had a bit of a tough time doing so. Our first stop was our moiré-inducing, wrought-iron patio table which features a distinct woven pattern -- but we failed to find any moiré in either JPEGs or RAW files.

[snip]

The Olympus E-M1 turned out to display a surprisingly low level of moiré artifacts, and only moderately more than the E-M5. In fact, it was quite difficult to get E-M1 images to display moiré at all -- until we turned to the pattern on the office chair above. On our favorite patio table, which did particularly well in showing moiré with the OLP-filterless Sony RXIR, the E-M1 didn't display any artifacts, and neither did the E-M5.

[snip]

Unfortunately, as we said at the outset, most camera manufacturers seem to be moving in this direction, especially with their higher-end models -- mainly for the sake of ultimate resolution. There are still some high-end cameras with OLPFs in the market, but in many cases they're weak OLPFs which don't completely address aliasing problems. If a camera has an OLPF at all, it's unlikely that its image processing algorithms will have anti-aliasing routines built in to address the issue, so you may end up worse off with a weak OLPF than one that's missing entirely, but has image processing to help alleviate the problems that result.

Bottom line, this is looking like something we're simply going to have to deal with as photographers, at least until the no-OLPF fad abates. Or maybe we'll see more manufacturers address the opportunity in a different way, as Pentax recently did with the just-announced Pentax K-3. We at IR are hoping that the industry as a whole will come to its senses sooner than later, and focus on eliminating what become unavoidable problems, simply for the sake of an extra smidgen or two of sharpness. In the meantime, this looks like the face of the future."

raist3d

Roberto-

Thanks for the link and the words from Imaging Resource. What I am inclined to conclude using another data point from Steve Huff Photo comparing the OMD EM5 MKII - he mentions and showed a shot side by side where the EM1 clearly resolved more detail than the OMD EM5 MKII with the same lens. Assuming he did it correctly, my inclination here is to acknowledge the Em1 doesn't have one (it explains that difference + what you linked) vs the ODM EM5 MKII which to me it looks like it has one.

If it really doesn't, then whatever processing Olympus is doing to remove the color moire is getting in the way of realizing the whole look of the lack of an AA filter.

Fuji got around it not by post processing much but by the Xtrans color gird (though it can still have it but it's much more resilient to it). My Ricoh GR i have taken a few shots where it has it and the JPEG engine has a feature to help with it- it helps a bit but when it has it bad, it's very nasty to remove.

I want to see how the GX80 RAWs look once Iridient supports it. Iridient is very good at dealing with AA-less sensors for maximizing detail in general. I don't see the bump from he OMD EM5 MKII_ so again, if it's because of the processing Olympus may be doing, I would imagine the OMD EM5 MKII then sits between what would be a true AA-less censored camera and one that has one instead of looking like one that simply doesn't have it.

Anyhow, all of this does raise the question also- Panasonic mentioned that they are also now removing it with the processor. I saw some of that in the JPEG samples- I wonder if they are also doing something for the RAW files. If they are not, it should have similar problems to the Ricoh GR when it happens.

Fortunately my main interest is in "crisp" B&W More than color, so in that case it doesn't affect much if any.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Just to add one more data point on Olympus - Olympus USA just revamped their website, making it a much more interesting read if you want a point by point "Olympus key features/what we do deal" and it sure suggests when I read it that there's no AA filter, and the Turbo Pic VII has been designed as a step up from the previous/ 4/3rds E-5 to deal with the fine detail avoiding Moire.

I like the new website and like how they explain with diagrams some of the technologies.

- Ricardo

hot

Rainy & cold ...

My "fastest" camera ... yesterday ordered 3pm, sent 5pm, arrived today 9am ( 250km distance)

Last edited: