The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM-1 at LOW vs 200 vs 200+1 EV

tashley

Subscriber Member
Curious about the bump in quality I found in shooting the EM-1 at LOW, I shot the same scene of backlit tulips indoors on a tripod at LOW vs 200 vs 200+1 EV (files linked by clicking)

The camera metered the scenes so that it 'saw' exactly the same EV for each shot (I shot in aperture priority) but the 200+1 shot presents as a little darker and the LOW shot presents as less contrasty. I don't think the light changed, nor did the camera, so I can't know for sure whether there actually is some difference between 100 (LOW) and 200 + 1EV exposure - even repeating it with flash wouldn't tell me for sure because of the variable output of flash units. But I suspect that there actually is some difference and that the LOW file is a little nicer than the 200+1 file. Not sure how that would happen.

The purpose of this was to understand whether I'm better off shooting at 200 (or AUTO)+1 where subject DR allows, or whether the extra effort of shooting at LOW might be worthwhile. To be continued but I suspect that LOW actually is a little better. What do others think? (RAW files linked above and for reference my preferred processing in LR is sharpening at 50/0.7/70/20 with NR at 17)

In either event both the LOW and the 200+1 files are a lot nicer than the 200 file.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Tim. Have you tried other apps, like Capture One or Iridient?
No, I'm LR only these days. C1 might have a slightly better rendition of some files sometimes but it is such a massive PITA. Keeping to LR means I always have my catalogue in one place and then if a file really needs it I can grit my teeth and go to other developers...

mazor

Images captured with Low vs ISO 200 +1 EV post processed -1EV, should be very close. The differences would be how the image was processed. ie Low lets the camera do the image processing, vs using lightroom, CApture one etc to process?

Based on Olympus's already amazing image processing engine, my bet is Olympus low ISO setting would be quite competitive.