The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX80 or Oly E-M1

teeraash

I played with the demo GX80 a couple of hours in the last 2 days. Quite a nice camera. From a quick an unscientific test, I found that its IS can be effective around 2-2.5 stops with PL 15 & 25 and increases to 4 stops with Oly 75/1.8. May be around 1 stop less effective than the E-M1. I haven't tried the dual IS which should be better than body IS alone. Size and weight is nice. EVF is good if I use AF lenses but I have less confidence to MF as the evf resolution is so and so. Of course the EM-1 has a much better EVF and its bigger grip made it more comfortable to hold but around 100g heavier.

What makes me having a second thought of buying the GX80 is that I can eBay the E-M1 for 650$ including import tax but probably having to pay 800$ for the GX80 + kit lens or around 700$ for body only. Of course, the eBay GX80 will have no local warranty and I may have to bear all repair cost if something goes wrong.

What do you think, GX80 or E-M1? Please give me some food for thought.

Godfrey

Nothing you've said sounds like a plus for the GX80 over the E-M1 ... Why do you want one?

biglouis

I'd be interested in the answer, too. I've been eyeing up EM-1s as a second body because the s/h prices are very soft. On the other hand with the GX85 also having no AA filter on the bog standard 16mpx sensor it kinda offers and alternative choice.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me owning an EM1 since almost 3 years I would always go again EM1 instead of another comparable 16MP m43 camera. This answers your question I think ;)

I would be tempted to get a GX8 instead, as this one offers not only slightly more res with 20MP, but also better DR and higher ISO than the "ancient" EM1. PLUS it has IBIS which in combination with the OIS and certain Pana lenses, especially the new 100-400 works obviously like a dream. So one reason for me to get another camera than the EM1 would actually be the GX8 and 100-400 combo.

But I decided I will wait for the EM1m2 anyway, which I apologize is off topic ....

k-hawinkler

Thanks Peter. I am waiting for the E-M1.2 as well.

After the latest firmware update for the Nocticron, I believe it would also work in dual IS mode on the GX8. It also works fine on my E-M1. One just has to choose which image stabilization to use.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While the E-M1 is an excellent camera, there's really only one important reason why I bought mine: Fast AF with 4/3 lenses. I mostly prefer the general ergonomics of the Panasonic cameras (I haven't tried the GX80 though), the menu system is way better and easier to use than that of Olympus and then there's 4K video if you shoot video.

On the other hand, the E-M1 is more of a "real" camera, and could replace any camera out there. And I chose the E-M1 myself of course. I'm quite happy with it too :)

My guess is that when the E-M1 II is launched later this year, there will be lots more of the older model for sale everywhere, and at very low prices. So right now, ignoring my AF needs, I would probably buy the Panasonic and have a renewed look at the Olympus in 6 months.

teeraash

What I like about the gx80 is that it's so light, inconspicuous/low profile look, the menu layout is rational & easy to navigate and it is more responsive than mushy/less responsive buttons of the em1. Track pad implementation is also better. All my lenses are LUMIX except the 75/1.4 which should AF faster on the GX80.

Besides the points that I mentioned above, advantages go to em1. Also the em1 would be better when I use my c/y lenses with the MB Speedbooster as it has much better EvF suitable for precise magnified MF. And it is so fun to play with effective focal lengths of 50mm 75mm and 120mm all at one stop faster than f1.4. (F1.2?) with a 5 stops IS camera!

teeraash

I'd be interested in the answer, too. I've been eyeing up EM-1s as a second body because the s/h prices are very soft. On the other hand with the GX85 also having no AA filter on the bog standard 16mpx sensor it kinda offers and alternative choice.

LouisB
LouisB, I think you and I are on the same boat as I also have the GX8. E-M1 and the 8 should complement each other very well in almost all situations. But the form factor of the GX80 is so damn gorgeous to pass it up!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It will be interesting to see what you end up with. I'll probably use the E-M1 more or less exclusively with 4/3 lenses and will buy another m4/3 camera, preferably a Panasonic, for native m4/3 glass. The menus of the Panasonics are vastly superior to those of the Olympics, or maybe I'm just more used to Panasonic?

Annna T

It will be interesting to see what you end up with. I'll probably use the E-M1 more or less exclusively with 4/3 lenses and will buy another m4/3 camera, preferably a Panasonic, for native m4/3 glass. The menus of the Panasonics are vastly superior to those of the Olympics, or maybe I'm just more used to Panasonic?
I think it has very much to do with what one is accustomed to use. I started with Olympus (E-P1) and then got a G1 followed by a G3. But I never liked the was the menus of the Panasonic are structured. The menu of the first Pens were less well organized than the actual menus of the OMDs. For me it is now well improved and logically organized.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think it has very much to do with what one is accustomed to use. I started with Olympus (E-P1) and then got a G1 followed by a G3. But I never liked the was the menus of the Panasonic are structured. The menu of the first Pens were less well organized than the actual menus of the OMDs. For me it is now well improved and logically organized.
One reason why I prefer the Panasonic menus is probably that they are similar to the Nikon menus, as are the physical ergonomics.

raist3d

The GX80 and E-M1 are really different types of cameras in a way. To me the E-M1 is a no go (for me) because of the size, but it's built to a higher standard.

The GX80 seems a great camera for the money. You also get 4k which the E-M1 doesn't do and the 1080p looks much better anyway (but if you are not interested in video, that doesn't matter one bit).

I expect the AF of the GX80 to be faster than the EM1 with the Panasonic lenses. I have seen my GM5 outperform my OMD EM5 MKII when it comes to AF, and that camera doesn't even have the depth from de-focus tech of Panasonic.

If you are going EM1, I would say wait for Photokina if you can and get the EM1 MKII. That should be quite an upgrade. You really can't go wrong with either- if you want/need smaller size, GX80 it is.

0- Ricardo

Millsart

Having had the GX7, and EM1, and now the GX8, I'd say the GX8 is the hands down best choice overall (at least for me)

I personally hated the GX7 EVF and its 16:9 native ratio, which to my knowledge the GX80 retains. The GX8 on the other hand, has the best EVF of any mirrorless body I've owned, including the Fuji XT1, the Sony A7rII, and the E-M1. Its a huge 0.77x with no flicker or lag, and with no issues seeing into the far corners. Its simply one of the best on the market, and I personally love the flip-up design. While flip out LCD's do work for lower angle shooting, they can still be hard to see, especially in bright sun. So when your shooting action, dogs or kids running on the beach etc, being able to get that cool low perspective and still frame with a good EVF is a real winning combo, and a unique feature to the GX8

I also never found the GX7 comfortable to hold as I had to bend my index finger back to the shutter button. I find having the shutter on the grip, more DSLR style works far better for me, in the same way the A7II was a massive upgrade over my A7.

While the E-M1 is a great camera for the money with pretty good AF, I think the GX8, and likely the GX80, is faster, and at least with my Panny lenses, tracks action better with DFD. I can get a surprisingly high keeper rate with my Noctricon on the GX8 with C-AF.

Video is going to be much better on the Panny's too. No contest there, but the GX80 does give better stabilization for video over the GX8, so that is one point in its favor.

The real show stopper/deal breaker for me though with the GX8/0 vs the EM-1 is that lack of 'track pad' AF on the E-M1. I simply LOVE this feature. Being able to hold the camera to my eye, and use the LCD screen as a virtual trackpad to move the AF point around the frame just plain works. Its far better than a Dpad, and its even better than the XPro2 joystick. Its as fast and intuitive as it gets and when shooting fast glass, like the Nocticron or 75/1.8, it makes putting the AF box right over your point of focus effortless. I so missed it when I was shooting my recently sold EM1

I will say the EM1 has better IBIS, but at least for me, this isn't a real factor. Okay, I can shoot my 75/1.8 at 1/4th a second with the EM1 and maybe 1/20th with my GX8, but neither is really that useful for my typical subjects, which move. I have trouble with subject blur, not camera shake, 99 times out of 100, so while a cool feature, its not really solving anything for me.

I got an import model GX8 for under $800, and changed the video spec to 30/60P with a quick "service mode" button press. Fantastic camera for the money that I think is well worth chekcing out if your a m4/3 shooter. Its not the prettiest camera, or the smallest, but the design is really comfortable, super customizable, and with the big EVF and such its just enjoyable to shoot with

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have also been tending towards the GX8 - and especially if I would buy the 100-400 I would shoot it on a GX8 and nothing else.

Having said this, I most probably will stay for m43 in pure Olympus m43 land and get the EM1m2 later this year. Thanks god I do not have anymore any 43 lenses which I need to make work on the latest m43 bodies.

The EM1m2 would be my last m43 body for quire some time, mainly for making best use of my m43 Pro glass, which I am very happy of.

Otherwise I am tending to move into Fuji territory again - XT2 once it is available and if it really is as great as expected. Plus the XPro2 just for the RF experience (I know it is not up to Leica M level, but hey it is a fraction of the cost and has fast AF and is FUN TO SHOOT). Fuji have just such marvelous lenses for their X series and this makes me connect quite a bit! Including the marvelous film simulations that I am really missing since I left :cool:

Time will tell, I am in no hurry :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Tried the GX80/85 briefly yesterday. Nice camera, but ergonomics aren't revolutionary better than for the GM5. Viewfinder is surprisingly good, but it's hard to switch the camera on and off while holding it with one hand only. It's also surprisingly heavy. I guess that's a good thing, kind of, but it made me wish for a GM6 with 4K video and IBIS :D

AF with the 4/3 lens I had available was lousy, at least in low light. There are many good reason why I should stay with my GM5/E-M1 combo.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nothing you‘ve got said sounds as a plus to the GX80 during the E-M1... Why would you like one?
Because the ergonomics (except for the smaller grip) suit me better, it's smaller and it shoots 4K video. It's also very cheap, little more than a used E-M1 and less than half of the probable E-M1 II price.

If I buy one, I'll probably keep the old E-M1 for sports and action and for 4/3 lenses.