The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4/3 lenses on m4/3

k-hawinkler

Thanks Bart. Great shots with little tuna.
Did you notice the AFMA displaying in the EVF when viewing the images just taken?
It's a little erratic and I have no such luck when using an EC-20. :facesmack:
How does one display the AFMA corrections in C1? TIA. :watch:

Knorp

Thanks Bart. Great shots with little tuna.
Did you notice the AFMA displaying in the EVF when viewing the images just taken?
It's a little erratic and I have no such luck when using an EC-20. :facesmack:
How does one display the AFMA corrections in C1? TIA. :watch:
Sorry K-H, but I've not observed any AFMA feedback in the EVF nor any evidence in that regard showing up in C1.
But perhaps I just misunderstand what you're saying here ... :eek:?

k-hawinkler

Sorry K-H, but I've not observed any AFMA feedback in the EVF nor any evidence in that regard showing up in C1.
But perhaps I just misunderstand what you're saying here ... :eek:?
Thanks Bart. How do you know your AFMA parameter is actually used for your lens?

If you have selected the AFMA for your lens and OK'ed in the menu all the way to the menu top level and then take an image,
you can review that image in the EVF or on the LCD in various ways.
If you choose the panel that has the image on the left and lots of info on the right, it might also display your active AFMA parameter.
It has its own symbol like "AF+-" followed by its value like "-2" for my lens.
If you zoom into the image, at the lower right it will display the following 3 pieces of information:

AF+- -2
Tele
Wide

This is useful information for my z tuna 90-250/2.8 as one can set the AFMA separately for Tele and Wide.

Also did you notice when entering the AFMA setting for your lens there is an easy way to set it automatically for all focus points in the matrix? Nice touch. :thumbs:

Knorp

Thanks Bart. How do you know your AFMA parameter is actually used for your lens?

If you have selected the AFMA for your lens and OK'ed in the menu all the way to the menu top level and then take an image,
you can review that image in the EVF or on the LCD in various ways.
If you choose the panel that has the image on the left and lots of info on the right, it might also display your active AFMA parameter.
It has its own symbol like "AF+-" followed by its value like "-2" for my lens.
If you zoom into the image, at the lower right it will display the following 3 pieces of information:

AF+- -2
Tele
Wide

This is useful information for my z tuna 90-250/2.8 as one can set the AFMA separately for Tele and Wide.

Also did you notice when entering the AFMA setting for your lens there is an easy way to set it automatically for all focus points in the matrix? Nice touch. :thumbs:
K-H, you're such a clever chap !
Indeed, I just noticed now for the first time the AF+- in the info screen.
And it shows my correction -8.
I guess we could try the Olympus Viewer software ?

k-hawinkler

K-H, you're such a clever chap !
Indeed, I just noticed now for the first time the AF+- in the info screen.
And it shows my correction -8.
I guess we could try the Olympus Viewer software ?

That's brilliant Bart. Many thanks. :thumbs: :clap:
OV3 shows the info in the Detail panel.
But only when it's used.

So it turns out a lens is different from a lens+EC-14 is different from a lens+EC-20.
All these configurations get their own names and settings. Now those are clever engineers!

Last edited:

griffljg

Olympus E-M1 MarkII with SIGMA 50-500mm F4-6.3 DG HSM through an MMF-3 adaptor

1/500s, f/9.0, ISO:200, FL:363mm

A WWI Bristol Fighter scaring away some ibis.

1/800s, f/10.0, ISO:200, FL:177mm

griffljg

Olympus E-M1 MarkII with SIGMA 50-500mm F4-6.3 DG HSM through an MMF-3 adaptor.

The faster WWII P51 Mustang fighter proved to be a bit more tricky and the images taken at 500mm were a bit softer.

1/500s, f/9.0, ISO:200, FL:500mm

1/800s, f/10.0, ISO:200, FL:208mm

griffljg

Missed this one:

Olympus E-M1 MarkII with SIGMA 50-500mm F4-6.3 DG HSM through an MMF-3 adaptor.

This is the best I managed to get hand-held at 500mm focal length.

1/500s, f/9.0, ISO:200, FL:500mm

Irenaeus

It's been a while so I can't remember all the details, but my 4/3 Panasonic 14-50 doesn't work with the Olympus MMF-3 weather proof adapter on my new Em1mkII. Do I need a Panasonic adapter for it?

(Incidentally, thanks to all who recommended this camera to use with my good 4/3 lenses—it's definitely a keeper!)

Cheers to all,

Irenaeus

Knorp

It's been a while so I can't remember all the details, but my 4/3 Panasonic 14-50 doesn't work with the Olympus MMF-3 weather proof adapter on my new Em1mkII. Do I need a Panasonic adapter for it?

(Incidentally, thanks to all who recommended this camera to use with my good 4/3 lenses—it's definitely a keeper!)

Cheers to all,

Irenaeus
I'm sorry, it does look Not Good: if your lens is type L-ES014050 this is what I've found on the Panasonic website:

Attachments

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm sorry, it does look Not Good: if your lens is type L-ES014050 this is what I've found on the Panasonic website:
That was strange and a bit worrying. Backwards compatibility and fast AF with 4/3 lenses is one of the strong sides of the E-M1/II. The Panasonic 14-50mm was my most used lens when I had the original E-M1. I still have that lens, and if it doesn't work properly with the E-M1 II, that's another reason for me to choose the GH5 instead, even though it focuses slowly with 4/3 lenses. Slo' focus is better than no focus :)

Knorp

That was strange and a bit worrying. Backwards compatibility and fast AF with 4/3 lenses is one of the strong sides of the E-M1/II. The Panasonic 14-50mm was my most used lens when I had the original E-M1. I still have that lens, and if it doesn't work properly with the E-M1 II, that's another reason for me to choose the GH5 instead, even though it focuses slowly with 4/3 lenses. Slo' focus is better than no focus :)
Well, there seems to be another version of this lens (L-RS014050), that is compatible with the EM1II.