Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica d vario–elmarit 2.8-3.5 / 14 - 50

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica d vario–elmarit 2.8-3.5 / 14 - 50

Anyone using this lens on a OLY body ? I want this lens and Not sure which Camera Body works best. Also, NEED to Have AF. Thank you

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica d vario–elmarit 2.8-3.5 / 14 - 50

You may check thread "4/3 lenses on m4/3" to find your answer.
    But I'd say an E-M1 and MMF-3 adapter should work fine.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rollsman44 View Post
    Anyone using this lens on a OLY body ? I want this lens and Not sure which Camera Body works best. Also, NEED to Have AF. Thank you
    What Bart said. It's the lens I use 90% of the time. It used to be around a thousand dollars, now you can get it for well under half. The quality is still that of a thousand dollar lens. It's my favourite zoom lens with a very large margin to whatever comes next.

It's great for portraits as well. Here's one taken with the L1 that came with the lens, probably at 50mm and f/3.5:

And btw., it's not working "fine". It's working Great.

It works best on the E-M1, since that's the only m4/3 body with phase detect AF. I did however use it with success on the Panasonic GH2 and GH3 for a few years. AF is slower then, but workable. The aperture ring of the lens works only with Panasonic bodies.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This lens is a wonderful match to my ancient Olympus E-1 as it adds image stabilization and extends the E-1's range nicely. It was, of course, an excellent choice on the Panasonic L1 it ships with.

The aperture ring works on all Panasonic bodies and not on Olympus bodies. Not a big deal, though.

It never appealed to me using it with the Panasonic G1 as it was too large and heavy for the body—poor balance; I don't recall whether the AF worked on that body.

It would work best now with the E-M1 fitted with battery grip and mount adapter due to the PDAF support, and the overall weight and balance of the package would be good.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which adaptor will I need with this lens? I have NOT purchased this lens yet so I am trying to see if this the best way to go and Get Excellent IQ from that lens? Any other suggestions. I like the lens and need as much info before I get into this system Thank you

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rollsman44 View Post
    Which adaptor will I need with this lens? I have NOT purchased this lens yet so I am trying to see if this the best way to go and Get Excellent IQ from that lens? Any other suggestions. I like the lens and need as much info before I get into this system Thank you
    Olympus MMF-1, MMF-2 and MMF-3 will all work, as will Panasonic DMW-MA1. All are metal, except the lightweight MMF-2. MMF-3 is weather-proof (but this lens isn't). I use the Panasonic and have never had a problem. Electronics are supposed to be identical an all of these.