Site Sponsors

Thread: M 4/3rds alternative by Samsung

Post Thanks / Like

M 4/3rds alternative by Samsung

It looks like Samsung is coming out with an alternative to m4/3rds but with a bigger sensor (23 x 15). There's not many details but check it out:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...mera-20082.htm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M 4/3rds alternative by Samsung

Yup just saw this

http://www.photographyblog.com/index..._aps-c_sensor/

and now

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09...ngnxsystem.asp

looks like I have another booth to visit

terry
    Last edited by Terry; 2nd March 2009 at 05:09.

Ranger 9

Choice is good, but confusion in the marketplace isn't so good.

It seems that so far, other than Panasonic's "road map," things have been eerily quiet (SFX: crickets chirping) when it comes to manufacturers announcing lenses for Micro Four Thirds. That's too bad, because -- although lots of us are having fun (and making good pictures) with our adapted M-mount lenses, C-mount lenses, FD lenses, etc., -- the mainstream market is going to want such features as fast autofocus and image stabilization.

I'm assuming that nothing much has happened on the lens front so far because lens makers are waiting to see if Micro Four Thirds takes off and/or for some other lens manufacturer to jump in first.

Samsung's announcement of a conceptually-similar-but-competing format is going to add even more uncertainty and, I would guess, discourage manufacturers further.

Another wrinkle on the already wrinkly face of this rumorplex: Samsung and Pentax have been known in the past to introduce similar "badge-engineered" P&S cameras, and with the appearance of this leak, there's speculation that they might do likewise with Samsung's NX concept.

Having Pentax on the NX team would lend instant lens cred to the NX standard (whatever it is; Samsung still isn't giving firm details)... possibly more than Micro Four Thirds, since so far the only maker of Micro Four Thirds lenses is non-camera-name Panasonic (although given Panasonic's naming-rights relationship with Leica, Pana presumably could solve that problem with a stroke of the check-writing pen...)

Oh, ugh, it looks as if this could be shaping up to be Canon vs. Nikon all over again, which we really don't need in this economic climate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Obviously interchangeable lenses (the first URL seems unsure about it, but look at the lens release button and the "pancaky" lens...). So, the big question: which mount?

Secondary questions: Will it accept Leica M lenses? Will it be easy to focus 3rd part lenses manually?

Unless these questions are answered satisfactorily, it would be dead-in-the-water... After all, the size difference between 4/3 and APS-C isnīt THAT huge...

Ranger 9

I just looked at the photos on DPReview, and my immediate reaction is that that LCD is going to be a nose-print magnet! And evidently no tilt/swivel... what was Samsung thinking?!?

Post Thanks / Like

If it's smaller than the G1 I really don't care about the LCD. Just give me a compact size with interchangeable lenses and I'm set.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    Obviously interchangeable lenses (the first URL seems unsure about it, but look at the lens release button and the "pancaky" lens...). So, the big question: which mount?

Secondary questions: Will it accept Leica M lenses? Will it be easy to focus 3rd part lenses manually?

Unless these questions are answered satisfactorily, it would be dead-in-the-water... After all, the size difference between 4/3 and APS-C isnīt THAT huge...
    HI Per
    Well - it'll be a new mount - similar, presumably, to the Pentax/Samsung mount, but because of the registration difference change it has to be new (with new lenses)

As for taking M mount lenses - presumably so, if some third party person makes an adapter . . . BUT it doesn't mean that it'll perform as well as the G1.

As for dead-in-the-water. I wonder if this aspect (that we are all so interested in) is really very important to the overall success of these in between cameras - it'd be nice to think so, but I wonder.

Quite agree about the difference in sensor size - not as important as the quality of the sensor.

Interesting though

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Should I make a comment about the faux SLR pentaprism?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm pretty sure this camera was discussed around Photokina time 6 months ago. Found an article in Amateur Photographer.

I think these type of cameras will be successful if they can take market share from the entry level DSLRs. The enthusiasts using these with manual focus lenses is probably not enough to carry this segment.

Personally I would like to see more options for AF prime lenses. Right now the only options are two 25mm lenses for the MFT and maybe a macro lens (not sure it will AF though).

-Thomas

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

"The use of an EVF has allowed Samsung engineers to significantly reduce the size and weight of the new camera system by decreasing the distance between the lens and image sensor (flange back) by approximately 60% compared to traditional DSLRs."

At first when I read this, I read it as 'flange back is 60% of a DSLR', but now I read it as '40% of a DSLR.'
    Last edited by monza; 2nd March 2009 at 08:30.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    "The use of an EVF has allowed Samsung engineers to significantly reduce the size and weight of the new camera system by decreasing the distance between the lens and image sensor (flange back) by approximately 60% compared to traditional DSLRs."

At first when I read this, I read it as 'flange distance is 60% of a DSLR', but now I read it as '40% of a DSLR.'

If it's 40%, then it's in the same range as the micro 4/3 flange distance.
    So, I guess the $1000 question for use of M lenses is whether the flange distance is less than that of M lenses (as it is in the G1)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

That gave me a chuckle.....

It couldn't last---others not getting into the game. Because the economy has affected us/me personally I can't be so free and easy about trying other cameras so, selfishly, I just hope Panasonic and Olympus get their act together and move the m4/3rds format along. OTOH, competition is good--just probably difficult for the smaller companies at this particular time.

Everytime I pick up my 5D, which I've shot with almost daily for over 3 years, I wonder why (or even either of my 1.6x bodies). I love the output, but at this point in my life I'm just not going to carry that weight any longer. Also--its just fun to shoot with the G1. I really don't want to shoot with a smaller camera than the G1--but I'm really trying to remind myself, lenswise, that I did buy the G1 for 'small'.

Diane

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 2nd March 2009 at 08:35.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    So, I guess the $1000 question for use of M lenses is whether the flange distance is less than that of M lenses (as it is in the G1)

My brain isn't working today. The quote references 'flange back' which really is useless information, it tells us nothing. Flange back can vary with each individual lens.

What we need is a reference to flange distance...

robertasumendi

Haha... ergonomically this one does seem a little uninspired though, considering the bar's already been set. The buttons to dials/levers ratio seems really high here....

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting alternative. No swivel LCD. However, there appears to be a movie mode on the dial. Will it have sensor-based image stabilization?

Lupo

A quick size comparison:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if it's an aps sensor can it be a m4/3 camera?

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by back alley View Post
    if it's an aps sensor can it be a m4/3 camera?
    Can't be and isn't. NX is Samsung's own proprietary specification. It just happens to seem to be aimed at exactly the same segment being targeted by Micro Four Thirds (compact electronic-viewfinder cameras with interchangeable lenses.)

Great, just what we need: thinner slices of an already-small pie.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Right now the Samsung is vaporware or a paper tiger.

Even worse it perpetuates the Faux-dSLR look. Where's some imagination?

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well.... they had to place the viewfinder somewhere, and with an LCD almost as large as the camera, the only way was to extend the camera in one direction or the other. It would have looked awkward with the VF at the bottom, wouldn't it?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    VF at the bottom, wouldn't it?
    I think a 'bottom' based viewfinder is a wonderful idea.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One question is if there will be an adapter allowing AF with K-mount lenses. That would give users access to all the Pentax Limited primes with full functionality. It would obviously require an in-body AF-motor. Maybe not so likely anyway, but who knows...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've tried that: sometimes, I wanted the flash on top of my Rollei 35. If I can find it, I'll send it to you for testing, Jono

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've tried that: sometimes, I wanted the flash on top of my Rollei 35. If I can find it, I'll send it to you for testing, Jono
    My family say that I always talk out of my bottom. I also have one of those nice rollei 35 (my wife gave me one for a wedding present all those years ago - but it doesn't work anymore).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My family say that I always talk out of my bottom. I also have one of those nice rollei 35 (my wife gave me one for a wedding present all those years ago - but it doesn't work anymore).
    Neither does mine The good thing about that is that it doesn't matter that it's the cheap, silver T version anymore. At the bottom of the drawer, it's just as good as a non-working, cool, black S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well.... they had to place the viewfinder somewhere, and with an LCD almost as large as the camera, the only way was to extend the camera in one direction or the other. It would have looked awkward with the VF at the bottom, wouldn't it?
    Put on the left side. No reason it has to be on top. And shrink the LCD other than for a histogram and menus, we aren't watching HD movies on it.

Or if you really want to get innovative feed LCD image to a set of VR glasses like a HUD and don't even have it on the camera.

We really need to get away from the 19th century model of the camera with a lens in front and ground glass in back. We need to look at distibution of on the user's body voice command control via Bluetooth just like my phone, VR glasses, camera one place and the image storage in your pocket. Preview on a wrist attached display just like some small UAV's do now. Why have to have the imager in you hand.
    Last edited by johnastovall; 2nd March 2009 at 14:43.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    Put on the left side. No reason it has to be on top. And shrink the LCD other than for a histogram and menus, we aren't watching HD movies on it.

Or if you really want to get innovative feed LCD image to a set of VR glasses like a HUD and don't even have it on the camera.

We really need to get away from the 19th century model of the camera with a lens in front and ground glass in back. We need to look at distibution of on the user's body voice command control via Bluetooth just like my phone, VR glasses, camera one place and the image storage in your pocket. Preview on a wrist attached display just like some small UAV's do now. Why have to have the imager in you hand.
    I agree, but the market is conservative. Many consumers with photographic ambitions want a camera that looks "professional". Bragging rights are very often the reason for buying an SLR.

Ranger 9

So no doubt you are a fan of the David White Co.'s line of Realist cameras, 35mm stereo rangefinder cameras which had the viewfinder on the bottom? Made a lot of sense given the huge width of a stereo camera -- kept it out of the way of your nose. If I recall correctly, they used film-plane focusing, too. Not surprising that David White wouldn't be constrained by tradition, since they didn't have roots in the camera business: their main field was making surveying instruments.

Meanwhile, back in the glory days of 'Pop Photo' as a serious magazine with long articles ('60s? '70s?) I recall reading a piece by one of their big-name writers (Norman Goldberg?) called "Are They Building Cameras Upside-Down?" He argued that 35mm SLRs, in particular, would make much more sense if designed with the finder on the bottom: no interference between nose and camera back, and greater steadiness by bracing the camera back against the forehead. (In fact, I've sometimes used this as a trick for hand-holding at marginal shutter speeds: turn the camera upside-down, brace it against your forehead, and you can often get away with shooting one or two steps slower than you would otherwise.)

I also agree with John A. that there's no reason to stick with traditional layouts now that the electronic-viewfinder genie is out of the bottle. In fact, in a previous thread I posited a camera with a lens assembly that you'd hold and aim like a flashlight, communicating wirelessly (via Bluetooth?) with a viewfinder that you'd hook over one ear, like a cell-phone headset.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guess you guys are ahead of me. Guess i will delete my post than. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. We need to get beyond viewing the bump as a faux pentaprism - it's obviously necessary to accommodate the elecronic viewfinder somwhere on the rear of a body which is already crowded with a big lcd and various buttons and wheels.

If you really wanted to get rid of the bump you could mount the viewfinder in the upper left corner of the real panel. But then you'd immediately run into accusations of creating a "faux rangefinder" look. And of course you'd risk irritating "left-eyed" photographers.

Maybe the answer would be an optional plug-in electronic viewfinder which could sit on the top plate. In fact, I'm sure somebody has already done this (though I can't remember who ....).
    Geoff
    Too many cameras, too little time.
    www.pbase.com/gDallasK

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gDallasK View Post
    I agree. We need to get beyond viewing the bump as a faux pentaprism - it's obviously necessary to accommodate the elecronic viewfinder somwhere on the rear of a body which is already crowded with a big lcd and various buttons and wheels.

If you really wanted to get rid of the bump you could mount the viewfinder in the upper left corner of the real panel. But then you'd immediately run into accusations of creating a "faux rangefinder" look. And of course you'd risk irritating "left-eyed" photographers.

Maybe the answer would be an optional plug-in electronic viewfinder which could sit on the top plate. In fact, I'm sure somebody has already done this (though I can't remember who ....).
    I'm a "left-eyed" photographer and in 40 years having the view finder on the left with the Leica M's has never been a problem.

I would rather have a Faux-rangefinder look than the Hump. Also this drive for larger and larger LCD's is starting to look as silly as the Megapixel race.

The Ricoh G-xxx models have the plug in EVF.

Mike Johnston

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Samsung faux hump essentially confirms the reasons behind the Panasonic faux hump. They are marketing a 'bridge' camera and to reach their intended market and sell it for the price they want to demand, they believe (rightly or wrongly) that it must look like a serious camera, not a point and shoot, and serious cameras for the past 40+ years have had humps.

That said, they could flatten the hump but then the camera would be longer. That hump is not just empty space.

Ranger 9

I don't want to risk interrupting the momentum of a group catharsis, but the "faux hump" does furnish a good place to put a pop-up flash that provides a reasonable amount of height.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    I don't want to risk interrupting the momentum of a group catharsis, but the "faux hump" does furnish a good place to put a pop-up flash that provides a reasonable amount of height.
    A pop-up flash is something else I can do without or make it a tiny thing that hides inside the camera body like the one on the G-RDII and put a switch on it to turn it off so one can just forget it's there.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Samsung faux hump essentially confirms the reasons behind the Panasonic faux hump. They are marketing a 'bridge' camera and to reach their intended market and sell it for the price they want to demand, they believe (rightly or wrongly) that it must look like a serious camera, not a point and shoot, and serious cameras for the past 40+ years have had humps.

That said, they could flatten the hump but then the camera would be longer. That hump is not just empty space.
    Last 40 years? I don't remember any humps on the Leica M's.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought that was the reason they offered the Visoflex, so the Leica M would be taken seriously

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Clip on viewfinder makes more sense to me, why do we need the hump? Choose whether you want a viewfinder period depending on transportation needs. These are just small SLR's, the G1 isn't actually that small IMO. Where oh where is that tiny pocket camera that Oly showed as mockup back at photokina? That's what I want 4/3rds to be, for the G1's size I'll get an Xti and better IQ.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

I have an XTi--put a Canon lens on it (even the smallest prime) and its quite a bit bigger and heavier than the G1. I also don't want a clipon viewfinder that I have to keep up with--I don't love 'the hump' but just don't worry about it. Makes no difference in handling--just 'image'.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    For the G1's size I'll get an Xti and better IQ.
    That's what I need -- a camera that can raise my IQ! Maybe if I buy two of them, I can get into Mensa...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thing is that once it won't go in a pocket then a bit more size doesn't make that much difference...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Leicas have not exactly dominated the sales charts in the last 40 years, if not longer.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the fact that even though it's smaller than the G1 has a bigger sensor. I'm really curious to find out what is that pancake lens. That thing is freaking small. I would love it if it was a 28mm (35mm equivalent). Also, I don't know why but I have the feeling this camera will be pretty affordable.

Ranger 9

I'm curious how they're going to solve the chief ray angle problem. Larger sensor + pancake lens + thin body normally equals a steep chief ray angle at the edges of the sensor, leading to various problems.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

No using super 16 cine lenses on this one...well, unless one is ok with partial coverage.

Post Thanks / Like

No using super 16 cine lenses on this one...well, unless one is ok with partial coverage.
    That's OK. Demand is high and quality lenses are becoming more expensive and scarce.

nei1

A lot of people still like the leica format of 3x2 which makes this sensor considerably larger when compared to the G1"s 4x3 cropped to 3x2.And if it could be linked to those beautiful limited edition lenses what a terrific setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leicas have not exactly dominated the sales charts in the last 40 years, if not longer.
    Neither has Ferrari. Quality and Character count in my world more than sales charts.

Mike Johnston

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Neither has Ferrari. Quality and Character count in my world more than sales charts.
    Of course, in mine too. But we aren't talking about our world. Sam and Pana are marketing to the general market...the perception in that market of what a professional camera looks like is not a rangefinder.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I use a Mac. (sorry, just had to throw a molotov cocktail into the conversation. )

Lupo

Quality?
    When a VW loses a button, 10,000 people screaming that there is such an expensive car will not be allowed.
    When a Ferrari loses a button, the customer gets a glass of champagne and a few lovely words.
    ... and the customer is happy about his great car. This is our World!

Character?
    Character for a lot of money anyone can!

(Would Ferrari cars for $ 20,000 to build - it would probably only bicycles.)