The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fast wide PL 12/1.4

marlof

Zuurpruim? It's just that I already have this FOV covered with lenses that suit my needs. A set of a GX8, 12/15/25/42.5 would look great to me otherwise. But I'm looking forward to your images with this lens. :p

V

Vivek

Wow! Now people to extorting others into buying PanaLeica? :bugeyes:

The real Summilux' from Leica (Made in Germany) are not that big considering the area they cover. What is with the 62mm filter on this? :p

Knorp

wow! Now people to extorting others into buying panaleica? :bugeyes:

The real summilux' from leica (made in germany) are not that big considering the area they cover. What is with the 62mm filter on this? :p
af ?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would choose the Olympus 2/12 hands down instead of the PanaLeica 1.4/12.

But maybe that is only me :eek:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There are several possible reasons reasons why it's much larger than the Zuiko:

- The Zuiko is a stop slower
- The Zuiko has an uncorrected barrel distortion of 5.45 %. It's corrected to 0.733 % in software, but one does lose resolution and probably micro contrast that way.
- Compared to the Summilux M 24mm, it's also a bit larger, but the M-lens lacks AF and it is a $7,000 lens.

The trend seems to be for larger lenses, and if there's something to gain in image quality, I'm OK with that. There are smaller choices available if that is what I want.

V

Vivek

Nice try.

You seem to imply that the Pana leica lens employs no software correction.

Large size lenses being trendy...

Hmm....

If larger size implies smaller price tag, why do they stick to the tiny sensor?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice try.

You seem to imply that the Pana leica lens employs no software correction.

Large size lenses being trendy...

Hmm....

If larger size implies smaller price tag, why do they stick to the tiny sensor?
While there will probably be software correction, there may be less than with the Zuiko. Large lenses are trendy because they offer better image quality. Just look at the Otus lenses and the Sony GM lenses. Pansonic/Leica and Olympus did the same with 4/3. Some of the best 4/3 lenses are as large as the full frame counterparts, and with image quality to match. My PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 is more or less as large and heavy as the Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 that I will be selling. The Nikkor is good, but the PanaLeica is much better.

V

Vivek

Jorgen, Why one would want to sell a lens they own depends on many factors. Just look at all the stuff I am trying sell.. They were all bought for very special qualities that have not diminished in any way.

I am not sure the Otii will last long and it certainly has not created a trend. I sincerely hope all huge lenses covering tiny frames (regardless of the format) will vanish, especially given the high ISO performance of the sensors of today and the future.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
There are several possible reasons reasons why it's much larger than the Zuiko:

- The Zuiko is a stop slower
- The Zuiko has an uncorrected barrel distortion of 5.45 %. It's corrected to 0.733 % in software, but one does lose resolution and probably micro contrast that way.
- Compared to the Summilux M 24mm, it's also a bit larger, but the M-lens lacks AF and it is a $7,000 lens.

The trend seems to be for larger lenses, and if there's something to gain in image quality, I'm OK with that. There are smaller choices available if that is what I want.
I could be convinced in a heartbeat of all these PanaLeica lenses that have an aperture ring, if this only worked on a Olympus body as well.

But unfortunately vendors decided to cook their own proprietary soups in m43 land, which was always meant to be an OPEN STANDARD :argue:

iiiNelson

I've always leaned more towards the Panasonic camp in M4/3 over Olympus due to poor experiences with Olympus cameras and a preference to Panasonic menus/look. This looks like a potentially great performing lens and I still think M4/3 is the most complete compact cropped sensor system if you veer away from CaNikon. Overall M4/3 is the best mirrorless travel system as long as you don't want FF sensors IMO. I still have my G1 but I don't have immediate plans to expand in that system.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I've always leaned more towards the Panasonic camp in M4/3 over Olympus due to poor experiences with Olympus cameras and a preference to Panasonic menus/look. This looks like a potentially great performing lens and I still think M4/3 is the most complete compact cropped sensor system if you veer away from CaNikon. Overall M4/3 is the best mirrorless travel system as long as you don't want FF sensors IMO. I still have my G1 but I don't have immediate plans to expand in that system.
Truth is that there is only one mirrorless FF system available today as we all know and this is Sony FE mount. Unfortunately it is far from being complete WRT to lenses.

For me and many others this is obviously one of the biggest complaints about this system. And please no arguments one can use third party lenses via adapters, this is simply no solution at all for me and many others.

Plus - unfortunately CaNikon still did not get out any serious mirrorless system and it is questionable if they ever will, although it would have been easy for them.

Keeping all this in mind m43 is really the most complete mirrorless system today, followed IMHO by Fujifilm X system. Will be interesting to see how fast Fuji can close the gap WRT missing lens offerings in the future. Once this gap is closed Fujifilm X might soon become the best mirrorless choice overall!

biglouis

It's a fine line-up: I'm halfway ... :toocool:
Likewise! I'd give houseroom to the 12 before the 42.5 and the 15 only because I rarely do portraits and also because the darn 12-35 is such a stellar lens (which it really shouldn't be considering it is a zoom).

Just my two cents.

LouisB

***EDIT - I changed 24 to 12 :)

Last edited: