The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus Micro 4/3rds News from PMA

DavidE

I stopped by the Olympus table at the Sneak Peak press event at PMA. I was told by an Olympus rep that they'll be showing a newer prototype of their small micro 4/3rds camera tomorrow at the booth. It will be under glass, so we won't be able to handle it. They still plan to ship it this year.

R

Ranger 9

Hey, gitcher top-secret Olympas Spy Foto right here!!!!

Note the revolutionary elastomeric lens mount, which will allow use of any Micro Four Thirds OR compatible lens without the need for adapters!

DavidE

Guy, do you still plan to attend the S2 demo on Thursday? If so, I'll see you there. Leica had the S2 out at Sneak Peek, and they were letting people handle it. It's not much larger than a DSLR.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hey, gitcher top-secret Olympas Spy Foto right here!!!!

Note the revolutionary elastomeric lens mount, which will allow use of any Micro Four Thirds OR compatible lens without the need for adapters!
Hey... anybody can see that the photo is a Photoshopped version of the new Canon EOS 1000000D $50 pro camera. Just look at the twist of the elastic band. Exactly the same as on the Canon, and the lens is the new EF-SSS 3mm bug-eye :grin:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, do you still plan to attend the S2 demo on Thursday? If so, I'll see you there. Leica had the S2 out at Sneak Peek, and they were letting people handle it. It's not much larger than a DSLR.
David I will be there at the Leica booth at 10:30 am . Join us for the demo. Look forward to meeting you along with others as well. I hope the handle names are close to the real names. I am so bad at names, so folks do not take offense if I can't recall very well. I grew up in the 60 & 70's. Oh hell the 80's too. LOL

DavidE

Here's the micro 4/3rds camera Olympus is showing under glass at PMA. The lens has no markings on it.

LizaWitz

What are those two black things in front of the pseudo-rangefinder? They have the micro four thirds logo below them, but they look like unfinished lenses, or lenses for some industrial camera.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What are those two black things in front of the pseudo-rangefinder? They have the micro four thirds logo below them, but they look like unfinished lenses, or lenses for some industrial camera.
Probably new lenses. The one to the right looks as if it could be the long rumoured 100mm macro. if it is, I'm all smiles :D :) :D :) :D

gDallasK

I just hope, when it does go on sale, that it isn't just available in silver with an orange front panel. Ghastly!

Diane B

There's a little personal report from PMA on dpreview--he did get to handle, got some good info. Also--there are video samples up from the GHD1
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh1/movie.html
Whoops I meant handle the GHD1--wrong thread LOL.

And, now looking at the same mockup I saw earlier from Photokina (or one doggone close) its 'shades of 2002' when Olympus dragged their feet through several shows, never showing anything but a wooden mockup of their first interchangeable lens SLR. Also--no VF--that would always be a showstopper for me.

Diane

R

Ranger 9

No VF--that would always be a showstopper for me.
Diane
Me too, but it's unlikely we're the target market. They're almost certainly after people who want interchangeable lenses, but think the G1 is "too big." (Or don't like the "faux hump," which would include a number of people on this forum!)

I can't see this form factor working in an interchangeable-lens camera -- can you imagine somebody trying to follow his/her kid's soccer game through a 45-200 lens while holding the thing at arm's length from the face? -- but I already see people doing crazier things with cameras. You know how you attend an arena concert or sports event and you see thousands of little flashes popping off in the stands? What do you suppose they think they're doing? (I know, many of them just don't know how to disable the flash, but...)

monza

I keep thinking that micro 4/3 format was not jointly developed by Pana and Oly in order for Pana to have the high and and Oly to have the P&S with interchangeable lenses. Something tells me Oly has something else up their sleeves.

R

Ranger 9

I agree, but rather than competing head-to-head with Pana by offering a similar "high-feature" camera, it makes more sense for their FIRST offering in the marketplace to be something that occupies an unfilled niche... later, who knows?

monza

Yes, I'm sure they have a reason they are showing just the concept. And there is no rule that says the ultimately released product has to be all that close in design to the concept. They may yet bring out the digital Pen, with EVF.

Diane B

Me too, but it's unlikely we're the target market. They're almost certainly after people who want interchangeable lenses, but think the G1 is "too big." (Or don't like the "faux hump," which would include a number of people on this forum!)

I can't see this form factor working in an interchangeable-lens camera -- can you imagine somebody trying to follow his/her kid's soccer game through a 45-200 lens while holding the thing at arm's length from the face? -- but I already see people doing crazier things with cameras. You know how you attend an arena concert or sports event and you see thousands of little flashes popping off in the stands? What do you suppose they think they're doing? (I know, many of them just don't know how to disable the flash, but...)
I agree--likely we aren't the target audience. And--your 'image' of all the people in stands with flashes going on made me remember how I laugh everytime I see it.

I honestly can't even imagine trying to use only the back LCD to try and focus, compose with interchangeable lenses, but I have seen some strange things done with cameras. I should have learned by now that what I like/want isn't the same as the majority of people wanting to shoot with a smaller cam.

Diane