Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The G1 HD is here with more than video changes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The G1 HD is here with more than video changes

Oh yeah, at least in Spain we pay 17% tax over electronics imports. I guess there will be many people here buying large boxes labeled "Gifts"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    not really a big price difference

most of europe has a compulsary sales tax (VAT or TVA) of anything between 15 and 20% and prices are generally quoted inclusive of this tax. Unlike the US where prices are usually quoted without sales tax

1500 dollars is 1200 euros multiply that by 1.17 to add the tax and you get to 1400 euros

As terry says there are also strange rules about what is considered a video camera here and that may also have an effect.

cheers

K
    I wasn't really considering the VAT. Here is the post made at DPReview and the issue of the 15 minute limit has come up numerous times when other cameras have been launched with the limits.

* The stated reason for the ZS3 / TZ7 naming difference (perhaps this is well known, but news to me): Apparently in the EU and perhaps elsewhere, camcorders - defined as having more than 15 minutes of continuous recording capability - receive a higher import duty than do still cameras. This is not true in the USA, so the USA (ZS3) model has no 15-minute recording time limit. Interesting. I would have thought there were other issues, like EU warranty, local distributor price protection and so on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is that a 15 minute limit to a single 'scene'? if so, I don't see that as a major limitation... aren't many videos composed of many multiples of scenes, just a few seconds in length?

Kind Regards

Brian

kiloran

Re the official Leica adapters. Imagine if Panasonic's close relationship resulted in a firmware update to include lens adjustments for current Leica lenses. Entirely possible - user has the option to select which lens they have mounted and the camera selects the correct distortion/CA/falloff adjustments to apply. Whilst it won't sort out the corner softness we've seen it should still improve the images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't see a software correction being able to deal with the IQ drop off we've seen with W/A Leica M lenses... Uwe Steinmuller has tested his lenses and concluded they are unusable with the G1.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify -- Uwe tested a 28/2.8 and a 50/2; of those he said the 28 was unusable and the 50 was fine.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/myforum/...6&pid=80#pid80
    Last edited by monza; 5th March 2009 at 05:19.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a 50 f1.4 with me today for PMA and will use it for real like situations and show you how it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Monza - I was talking about W/A lenses... but I can see it was not worded as clearly as it should have been.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of which, I wish the edit button was active longer on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    There's nothing in the specs, but given the large-size CMOS sensor, I suspect that the GH1 is going to have a rolling shutter as well, and consequently will be susceptible to the jello effect, too. Oh, well, at 60fps, maybe at least it will be firmer jello.
    This is, of course, a major concern. I am optimistic for a couple reasons:
    -- the interview with the panasonic tech guy at dpreview said they were well aware of the problems with other DSLRs and video and they didn't want to repeat them, they wanted the best video.
    -- the sensor is a new one, and I believe I read somewhere that part of the purpose of going with this sensor design was to change the electronics on the sensor to to give the pixels more light area and to also improve the rate at which they are able to pull data off of it.
    -- this issue is much higher on the "critical list" for video than noise from the autofocus and OIS in the lens, yet they went to great trouble to fix the lens noise...

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I have a 50 f1.4 with me today for PMA and will use it for real like situations and show you how it does.
    Did you get a chance to put try it out?

Post Thanks / Like

Great description of the camera by a knowledgable panasonic rep: (video at end of page)
    http://www.slashgear.com/panasonic-m...ntro-0536516/#

This page has an actual video sample. (The banding shown in the last clip looks to me like a bug or compression issue inside the camera, I'm sure this will be fixed before release.)
    http://www.slashgear.com/panasonic-m...tests-0736780/

On watching this I'm pretty excited. The zoom is not only easy to turn, but it looks like its one full turn from all the way in to all the way out-- its really fast, which is great for zooming to follow the action. Really good to see the camera in people's hands-- see how small, light and nimble it is, and how small the lenses are compared to "normal" lenses. The test footage looked pretty desaturated, which I'm kinda happy to see- I figure the camera on the show floor people had been messing with and someone turned the saturation down (IF that's not the case, even better, love to be able to desaturate video)... Saw no bad video effects, even with the camera shaking around a lot, this tells me that they got the sensor right-- or at least, from what we can tell from that video they did. No jellocam!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This is truly an impressive camera. Being able to use some really fast c-mount lenses with HD (including zooms, albeit without autofocus) is really going to make my bank account unhappy.