The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The G1 HD is here with more than video changes

LizaWitz

Well not exactly. The 1:1 format is just 2900x2900, a crop of the 4000x3000 4:3 format.
Would it have killed them to make that 3000x3000? Anyway, doesn't bother me cause I don't think I need anything in 1:1.

I have heard the 24fps is a problem in Europe due to their use of 25fps frame rates and has caused problems for the Canon 5DMkII. [/URL]
In Europe, the GH1 shoots 25fps instead of 24fps. Its apparently continentally aware.

and no image stabilization.
On the 7-14, but then at 7-14 I think I can handle the lack of IS.

The damage the 7-14 will do to my wallet, however, will have me passing for now.

Also, rumor is, camera shipping by May with a price around $1,500 with the 14-140. Apparently the camera is $600 and that lens is $900.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wonder if you will be able to just buy the body only. We should do a poll on how many will move up to this model.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
If I get one, I'll buy the older model used and hopefully body only. Have no use for video in it. If I want to do video, I'll get a deicated video camera.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Would it have killed them to make that 3000x3000? Anyway, doesn't bother me cause I don't think I need anything in 1:1.

In Europe, the GH1 shoots 25fps instead of 24fps. Its apparently continentally aware.

I wonder if that is user selectable? If not it would stlll be a problem. I know with the better Canon video cameras it's selectable function.

No way the camera is going to know if it's in London, Texas or London, UK.

Brian Mosley

I read somewhere that's a 45mm f2.8... sounds great!

...things are looking good for m4/3rds - and we've still got Olympus with their rangefinder style cam to arrive.

Kind Regards

Brian

LizaWitz

First off, here's a link to the marketing page for it:
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh1/index.html

If I get one, I'll buy the older model used and hopefully body only. Have no use for video in it. If I want to do video, I'll get a deicated video camera.
Well, you can't get a video camera anywhere close to this camera in terms of quality and flexibility. I'm a video shooter-- I don't take stills except for only very occasionally. (And I just have used my camcorder for that in teh past.)

I'm keen for this camera JUST for the video. There is nothing on the market that will compare (for the features I need) anywhere near the price.

Course, since its not a priority for you, getting a G1 seems to be the way to go if you like the formfactor, etc.

I wonder if that is user selectable? If not it would stlll be a problem.No way the camera is going to know if it's in London, Texas or London, UK.
Unfortunately. About the only feature that this camera is really missing is a built in GPS for geotagging photos. I'd really appreciate that.

Anyway, I was joking. When you set up the camera you set it to the right system-- NTSC or PAL. Either that or they set it at the factory based on where its sold. At any rate, I don't expect it to be a problem.

Prototype or option?
The gold color is one of the standard colors the camera comes in! I don't mind gold, I just wish they hand't dropped blue. Now I'm not sure which color to pick.

L

Lupo

Prototype or option?

[ IMG]http://a.img-dpreview.com/articles/pma2009/Panasonic/P3030496.jpg[/IMG]
Color is an option, not an obligation! :D

Amazingly that the 14-140 is much smaller than the 45-200 :confused:

Terry

I'm not a video person but that gold is pretty wild. Is it the champagne edition? I'm just excited that they got the camera out to the market and are charging full steam ahead.

I'm still eager to see video samples with it and fingers crossed that Panny hits a home run with this to keep the R&D $$$$ flowing.

Diane B

I read somewhere that's a 45mm f2.8... sounds great!

...things are looking good for m4/3rds - and we've still got Olympus with their rangefinder style cam to arrive.

Kind Regards

Brian
I didn't see either mentioned anywhere yet ('cept here), but an f/3.8 sure wouldn't interest me--and I bet not a lot of people. f/2.8, OTOH, would be quite nice. I've found f/2.8 on my FD24 and 35 are generally fine.

Diane

monza

3.8 sounds like a typo. But a macro m4/3 isn't of much interest to me, there are tons of really nice cheap macros in that approx. focal length, and I tend to use manual focus for macro shots anyway.

A

allan

Re: Improved sensor

As far as I can tell from the interactive multi-aspect ratio diagram from this page, it appears the new improved sensor might be physically larger than the G1's:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh1/high_image.html

Like the LX3, it appears that the GH1 uses a crop of the sensor (rather then the entire sensor) even when using 4:3 aspect ratio.

The page goes on to claim full-frame image quality:

"By maximizing Panasonic's accumulated ν (nu) Maicovicon technologies, the 4/3-type 12.1-megapixel Live MOS sensor featured in the DMC-GH1 is able to offer the best of both worlds — the superior image quality of a full-frame CCD sensor, and the lower power consumption of a CMOS sensor."

I'm not into video, but if these claims are true, I'll be interested in this camera for the improved sensor alone, especially if it means better high ISO performance. Not that the G1's high ISO is shabby right now, but any improvement in this area would be welcome.

K

kiloran

Also, rumor is, camera shipping by May with a price around $1,500 with the 14-140. Apparently the camera is $600 and that lens is $900.
That sounds a bit of a bargain for the lens when you consider its complexity - 4 aspherical elements :eek:

Rawfa

Having come from the video world it feels to me that Panasonic is marketing this camera for the video crowd too. It has been a long life dream of MANY video/film makers to have a quality video camera that can have the DOF and dynamic range of a photo/film camera. I'm a BIG regular on video/film forums and people are going CRAZY over this camera.

R

Ranger 9

1500 euros sounds like a lot for a still camera, but compared to other video cameras that can take interchangeable lenses, it's pretty reasonable. That may be another reason the video crowd is excited. Of course, that'll all come down to performance, which we won't know about until people get working samples.

I still don't know if I'd want to spring, but the logic is persuasive. I only shoot video seriously about four times per year -- but when I do, I want it to turn out well. The idea of a camera that can produce good results on the relatively rare occasions when I need a video camera, and be used the rest of the time as a still camera, might make enough sense to justify the price, IF the results are there.

Rawfa

What I can tell you is that the Nikon D90 had A LOT of videographers VERY excited and I see really a lot of work being done with this camera. But there's also have been a lot of criticism about the rolling shutter (jello effect) and the artifacts. A low budget video camcorder with enough quality to be considered by more ambitious people starts at around 500us$ and it can up to 5000us$ or more, but there's a lot of people out there who also buy adapters that allow the use of nikon/canon lenses on videocameras (the adapter alone can cost from 800us$ to 3000us$). If you add up all these numbers the price is not that bad for the video crowd IF it can present the goods. We better get used to this because frankly it's just a matter of time until this type of hybrid solution becomes the future.

Last edited:

monza

Being able to use traditional cine lenses is a nice bonus...small, fast (much faster than the 14-140) no click stops, the D90 can't do that.