The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The G1 HD is here with more than video changes

R

Ranger 9

...there's also have been a lot of criticism about the rolling shutter (jello effect) and the artifacts.
There's nothing in the specs, but given the large-size CMOS sensor, I suspect that the GH1 is going to have a rolling shutter as well, and consequently will be susceptible to the jello effect, too. Oh, well, at 60fps, maybe at least it will be firmer jello. (I'll bet the lawyers at Kraft Foods, makers of Jell-O Brand Gelatin, would have a cow if they could see this usage...)

LizaWitz

Maybe 1,500 euros in europe, but under $1,500 in the USA. This was heard by multiple sources at the announcement yesterday.

Personally, I think this is $700 for the camera body (like the G1) and $800 for the lens.

R

Ranger 9

Maybe 1,500 euros in europe, but under $1,500 in the USA. This was heard by multiple sources at the announcement yesterday.

Personally, I think this is $700 for the camera body (like the G1) and $800 for the lens.
$700 price for the G1 typically includes the 14-45 kit lens. So the equation would be more like, say, $500 for the body and $1000 for the lens (!) -- unless you figure the video features add $200 in price to the body, which I suppose they might.

R

Ranger 9

Naah, they didn't design micro 4/3 with other lenses in mind. :)

That's a very interesting photo... particularly in view of Panasonic's friendly relationship with Leica. I would almost bet it means that they wouldn't have shown these adapters without Leica's blessing -- and I can't believe Leica would have blessed them if they thought the results would give their lenses a black eye.

scho

That's a very interesting photo... particularly in view of Panasonic's friendly relationship with Leica. I would almost bet it means that they wouldn't have shown these adapters without Leica's blessing -- and I can't believe Leica would have blessed them if they thought the results would give their lenses a black eye.
Well, they already have a black eye - or at least a minor bruise. The wide (< 50mm) M mount lenses yield less than stellar performance on the G1, unless you don't mind the edge and corner distortion problems. Maybe they will suggest that Panasonic incorporate some firmware magic using the Leica 6 bit coding on their lenses to correct he optical deficiencies.

Terry

Ok,
Here is probably the reason for the big price difference. In Europe anything that will take more than 15 minutes of video is considered a video camera and the import duty is much more expensive. Panny just released the TZ7 for Europe and changed the name to ZS1 for the US. The European model has video capped at 15 minutes. The US model is limited by card size. I can't link to the post right now but that info came from Panny at PMA.

So a big price difference is realistic.

kevinparis

not really a big price difference

most of europe has a compulsary sales tax (VAT or TVA) of anything between 15 and 20% and prices are generally quoted inclusive of this tax. Unlike the US where prices are usually quoted without sales tax

1500 dollars is 1200 euros multiply that by 1.17 to add the tax and you get to 1400 euros

As terry says there are also strange rules about what is considered a video camera here and that may also have an effect.

cheers

K

Rawfa

Oh yeah, at least in Spain we pay 17% tax over electronics imports. I guess there will be many people here buying large boxes labeled "Gifts" :)

Terry

not really a big price difference

most of europe has a compulsary sales tax (VAT or TVA) of anything between 15 and 20% and prices are generally quoted inclusive of this tax. Unlike the US where prices are usually quoted without sales tax

1500 dollars is 1200 euros multiply that by 1.17 to add the tax and you get to 1400 euros

As terry says there are also strange rules about what is considered a video camera here and that may also have an effect.

cheers

K
I wasn't really considering the VAT. Here is the post made at DPReview and the issue of the 15 minute limit has come up numerous times when other cameras have been launched with the limits.

* The stated reason for the ZS3 / TZ7 naming difference (perhaps this is well known, but news to me): Apparently in the EU and perhaps elsewhere, camcorders - defined as having more than 15 minutes of continuous recording capability - receive a higher import duty than do still cameras. This is not true in the USA, so the USA (ZS3) model has no 15-minute recording time limit. Interesting. I would have thought there were other issues, like EU warranty, local distributor price protection and so on.

Brian Mosley

Is that a 15 minute limit to a single 'scene'? if so, I don't see that as a major limitation... aren't many videos composed of many multiples of scenes, just a few seconds in length?

Kind Regards

Brian

K

kiloran

Re the official Leica adapters. Imagine if Panasonic's close relationship resulted in a firmware update to include lens adjustments for current Leica lenses. Entirely possible - user has the option to select which lens they have mounted and the camera selects the correct distortion/CA/falloff adjustments to apply. Whilst it won't sort out the corner softness we've seen it should still improve the images.

Brian Mosley

I can't see a software correction being able to deal with the IQ drop off we've seen with W/A Leica M lenses... Uwe Steinmuller has tested his lenses and concluded they are unusable with the G1.

Kind Regards

Brian

Terry

I have a 50 f1.4 with me today for PMA and will use it for real like situations and show you how it does.

Brian Mosley

Thanks Monza - I was talking about W/A lenses... but I can see it was not worded as clearly as it should have been.

Kind Regards

Brian

LizaWitz

There's nothing in the specs, but given the large-size CMOS sensor, I suspect that the GH1 is going to have a rolling shutter as well, and consequently will be susceptible to the jello effect, too. Oh, well, at 60fps, maybe at least it will be firmer jello.
This is, of course, a major concern. I am optimistic for a couple reasons:
-- the interview with the panasonic tech guy at dpreview said they were well aware of the problems with other DSLRs and video and they didn't want to repeat them, they wanted the best video.
-- the sensor is a new one, and I believe I read somewhere that part of the purpose of going with this sensor design was to change the electronics on the sensor to to give the pixels more light area and to also improve the rate at which they are able to pull data off of it.
-- this issue is much higher on the "critical list" for video than noise from the autofocus and OIS in the lens, yet they went to great trouble to fix the lens noise...

I have a 50 f1.4 with me today for PMA and will use it for real like situations and show you how it does.
Did you get a chance to put try it out?