The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly Rangefinder in June!!!!

helenhill

ooohoooo.more Rangefinder Heaven

Looks pocketable...tres cool..maybe a playmate for my M2 /m8
is that an adapter ?
Is this a digital answer to the famous xa....

Can't Wait :grin:

Last edited:

jonoslack

Thanks for the info.
But aren't those just the photos from Photokina last year ?. . . . and hasn't it been accepted that the camera won't look like that?

Pretty though

kevinparis

can everyone calm down

1) its not a rangefinder... it doesn't even seem to have a viewfinder optical or otherwise

2) It looks exactly the same as the thing they showed at Photokina last year

I want there to be a nice oly micro 4/3rds and maybe it will be here in June then again they do seems to being very quiet and cagey about this

K

Brian Mosley

Jono, I'd read that too... but the same tobacco tin prototype featured in a 'behind the scenes' publication at Focus on Imaging which I think may have predicted a June release.

All rumour and speculation at the moment - Panasonic's announcement of the GH1, 14-140 and 7-14... plus the 45mm f2.8 macro all put the pressure on for Olympus to take m4/3rds much more seriously imho.

Can't wait to see what they're working on!

Cheers

Brian

kevinparis

june seems an odd time to launch a camera...are there any photo/consumer electronic shows around then?

I mean a june launch is late for catching the summer trade and too early to fit in with the christmas buying season.

K

jonoslack

june seems an odd time to launch a camera...are there any photo/consumer electronic shows around then?

I mean a june launch is late for catching the summer trade and too early to fit in with the christmas buying season.

K
HI Kevin
Maybe odd - but it's actually very common - both Nikon and Olympus do it. In fact, I think most manufacturers keep their important announcements away from the trade shows so that they don't get lost in the rush.

June is good, as you can get the camera out and reviewed and in the stores before Christmas.

Jonas

"Rangefinder" ?

Sorry, but it's a spanish website doing the coverage:
No details, only a confirmation that the camera will be available in June.
I wish people stopped using the word Rangefinder about non rangefinder cameras. It's not like a lot of all P&S cameras suddenly have became rangefinder cameras just because Oly showed a style experiment.

I know, a boring post, and I'm even not pedantic normally.

Cheers, /Jonas

jonoslack

Re: "Rangefinder" ?

I wish people stopped using the word Rangefinder about non rangefinder cameras. It's not like a lot of all P&S cameras suddenly have became rangefinder cameras just because Oly showed a style experiment.

Cheers, /Jonas
Hi Jonas
I quite agree - nothing to do with rangfinders - that isn't pedantic!

Rawfa

Cheers, /Jonas
Sorry, man, but even though everybody knows it's not an actual rangefinder that is the way people are addressing this particular Oly's camera. Besides I don't think "Oly's micro four thirds camera that looks like a rangefinder even though it's not one will be available on June" would fit on the thread title. :angel:

jonoslack

Sorry, man, but even though everybody knows it's not an actual rangefinder that is the way people are addressing this particular Oly's camera. Besides I don't think "Oly's micro four thirds camera that looks like a rangefinder even though it's not one will be available on June" would fit on the thread title. :angel:
:ROTFL:

How about:
Tobacco Tin Coming In June

kweide

All those old Oly stuff. Old Mockup from wood...no new infos... Oly marketing is so worse... only rumors rumors rumors....

iiiNelson

Yeah I wish they would show a prototype or at at least some potential model specs to raise some idea of if it'll be worth the wait. The e620 sounds nice but I'm more interested in m4/3 should I decide to add a 4/3 type camera. Right now it look like PAnasonic is the only one with their head on straight in that arena. Olympus has great lenses though at any price.

R

Ranger 9

That's a little like saying, "People know that Joe's not a pedophile, but we still call him 'Joe the Pedophile.'" It can raise some awkward misconceptions if overheard by someone who's not in the know.

Besides, the sardine can doesn't even look like a rangefinder camera. It just looks like a point-and-shoot with a non-collapsible lens.

How about calling it "Oly's interchangeable-lens P&S"?

Rawfa

That's a little like saying, "People know that Joe's not a pedophile, but we still call him 'Joe the Pedophile.'" It can raise some awkward misconceptions if overheard by someone who's not in the know.

Besides, the sardine can doesn't even look like a rangefinder camera. It just looks like a point-and-shoot with a non-collapsible lens.

How about calling it "Oly's interchangeable-lens P&S"?
Jesus H Christ, I really hope Joe ends up alright...I think an Oly digital rangefinder would do him wonders hehehe

Just kidding. I wouldn't want to upset someone who can come up with such bone chilling analogies. So from now on I'll call it "God's lil' old tuna pocket cam". :thumbs:

R

Ranger 9

Actually, the mockup is pretty close conceptually to the original Olympus Pen, which was a fixed-lens, half-frame, scale-focusing pocket camera -- fairly simplistic by the standards of the day, in other words.