The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-100mm F4.0 PRO lens available

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Both lenses look very good, and for a 2 lens kit on any of the larger m4/3 bodies, they look perfect. Add the PanaLeica 12/1.4 and 42.5/1.2, and I'm ready for the world :D

Both of them focus very closely, 15 cm for the zoom and 19 for the prime. For me, that means not having to worry about a macro lens when travelling. Great!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Whenever I look at one of dpr's sample galleries, this one included, the only thought I'm able to come up with is "Why on earth don't they hire a photographer?". Or is that irrelevant for a camera website?

Thank you for the link anyway :)
I do have the same thoughts actually. I was pretty unimpressed by the samples they provide, but not because of bad IQ from lens/camera, but because these shots are just less than mediocre.

Having said that, I think the 12-100 would make a perfect all around lens especially in combination with an EM1mark2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I had a closer look at some of the photos. It looks like a nice lens. Not prime sharp of course, and maybe a lack of microcontrast, but it seems to be relatively evenly sharp across the frame except for the extreme corners, and even they are very acceptable. I do like the general rendering, and the transitions from in focus to out of focus seem to work very well. Absolutely worth considering as a walk-around lens :thumbup:

retow

I do have the same thoughts actually. I was pretty unimpressed by the samples they provide, but not because of bad IQ from lens/camera, but because these shots are just less than mediocre.

Having said that, I think the 12-100 would make a perfect all around lens especially in combination with an EM1mark2
Already flirting with some new mft gear after your recent love affair with the new Fuji?:grin:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Already flirting with some new mft gear after your recent love affair with the new Fuji?:grin:
I am using both systems meanwhile - hopefully the best from each system for each application :cool:

So I definitely will not leave m43 and look forward to some of the announced great gear - PanaLeica glass, EM1m2, .....

drofnad

FWIW, Ming Thein --in his review of the E-M1 (II)-- seems quite favorably impressed with the 12-100/4. (And, as always, unfavorably disposed to Steve Huff.)

-d.

mediumcool

It could of course, but it would have been larger and more expensive. The new PanaLeica 12-60mm will be f/2.8-4.
I have a Zuiko 14–54 f/2.8–3.5 which is very good wide-open at all focal lengths, and it auto-focuses quite well on my Olympus E-M5, so I am in no mood for an immediate change! But the Panasonic has much less zoom-zoom-zoom than the 12–120, and for what price?

mediumcool

FWIW, Ming Thein --in his review of the E-M1 (II)-- seems quite favorably impressed with the 12-100/4. (And, as always, unfavorably disposed to Steve Huff.)

-d.
Huff should work for DPReview. Why? His pictures are about as uninspiring as the majority of those made by editorial staff on DPReview! :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have a Zuiko 14–54 f/2.8–3.5 which is very good wide-open at all focal lengths, and it auto-focuses quite well on my Olympus E-M5, so I am in no mood for an immediate change! But the Panasonic has much less zoom-zoom-zoom than the 12–120, and for what price?
I use the great PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 myself, which is also an important reason for having the E-M1. That's a great lens in every way, and if the new 12-60 is anything like that, I would just love to throw the E-M1 out of the window and replace it with anything Panasonic. I'm sure the price will be bad, and the reach doesn't hold water compared to the Zuiko, but distributed over a couple of decades and tens of thousands of photos, I will be happy to live with that.

Elderly

I made up my mind to resist and DEFINATLEY DO NOTHING about a 12-100 until the new PL12-60 is out in March ......

...... I've just ordered a 12-100 :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco:

Knorp

I made up my mind to resist and DEFINATLEY DO NOTHING about a 12-100 until the new PL12-60 is out in March ......

...... I've just ordered a 12-100 :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco:
Ignore the feeble mind, at least you've got a bit more reach ... :grin: