The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-100mm F4.0 PRO lens available

Elderly

The real reason that I weakened is that I'm very shortly off on a trip to Kerala and Tamil Nadu :thumbup:.

However my pre-order has not appeared in time and so I cancelled the order and decided to happily use my 12-40 and 40-150 Pro combination.

But for some strange reason just after I put the phone down to cancel, I phoned another camera shop ........

....... and all of a sudden .......

....... I no longer have my 12-40, but do have a 12-100 :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It appears that of these only the 35-100/2.8 has a fixed lengh (any FL),
all others extending.

:)
I'll be able to confirm that in a couple of days. My E-M1 was sold yesterday, and as by magic, the shop got a used 35-100mm f/2.8 in at the same time. It's on its way :)

Knorp

:OT:

I'll be able to confirm that in a couple of days. My E-M1 was sold yesterday, and as by magic, the shop got a used 35-100mm f/2.8 in at the same time. It's on its way :)
Excellent - life is full of 'freak' surprises :grin:

While you're at it: please check the serial number (JE3AD001006): you never know this is just another freakish coincidence ...

:chug:

Last edited:

mediumcool

I made up my mind to resist and DEFINATLEY DO NOTHING about a 12-100 until the new PL12-60 is out in March ......

I've just ordered a 12-100 :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::facesmack::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco:
Definitely? :p

marlof

I'm sitting here, with my fingers in my ears so I can't hear you all (which makes typing this response extremely difficult by the way). Until this lens was released I saw no flaw in my 12-40. I tend to prefer wide over tele. But now, I keep wondering if 12-100 and 25 would be a great travel combo, so I can leave the 12-40 and 40-150 at home. But then again...

Nah nah nah, I can't hear you! :facesmack:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Old thread this, but I have a question about the Zuiko 12-100mm. I don't know why I haven't thought about this before, but that's the price of geting old an slow I guess.

I have two GX8 bodies. When I travel, one is often equiped with the Panasonic 100-300mm II, the other one with an assortment of primes. I have considered buying the 12-35 and/or the 35-100mm again, but that combo and the 100-300mm always left me one body short. For some reason, in spite of all the great reviews when it was launched, I have never considered seriously buying the Zuiko 12-100mm, maybe because I've considered it a waste since it would work better on an Olympys body with dual IS and all.

But, look at this setup. It's a perfect match. 12-300mm high quality optics in two lenses. They are almost the same size and weight too, and the IS in the 12-100 seems to be good enough to manage on its own anyway. Very convenient for travel and events, with 2-3 primes in the bag. And travel I do, despite all empty promises of slowing down.

So my question is: Those of you who have used this lens for a year or two, are you still satisfied with it? Are there any downsides that I should know about?

Last edited:

Elderly

I was an early adopter and it suits MY shooting style, but I've paired it with the Panasonic 50 - 200 as I don't need anything longer
and would rather have the extra speed over the 100 - 300.

If I was only allowed ONE extant lens in my M4/3rds life, it would be this one!

But to answer your question:
The only downsides for me are that I'd like it to be able to focus a little closer
and the manual focus clutch is too easy to pull into the wrong mode.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was an early adopter and it suits MY shooting style, but I've paired it with the Panasonic 50 - 200 as I don't need anything longer
and would rather have the extra speed over the 100 - 300.

If I was only allowed ONE extant lens in my M4/3rds life, it would be this one!

But to answer your question:
The only downsides for me are that I'd like it to be able to focus a little closer
and the manual focus clutch is too easy to pull into the wrong mode.
Thank you for your feedback. I too consider going for the PL 50-200 in the future, but then in combination with the PL 10-25mm f/1,7 that will (hopefully) be available next year. However, those are each much more expensive than a used copy of the Zuiko, and none of them are likely to turn up used anytime soon, at least not in Thailand.

In other words: I need something that will work for me now, and since I already have the 100-300mm, the 12-100 seems like a good idea, which you have confirmed :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
12-100 + 100-300 = 'no brainer'
You may be on to something here. Several close relatives and friends have repeatedly, and under the most embarrassing circumstances, suggested strongly that I might actually lack a brain, which would make this combo a perfect choice :ROTFL:

Elderly

Jorgen, I think that you should try it for handling/balance on the smaller (than my EM1 MK2) bodies that you might use this lens with, before committing to purchase.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, I think that you should try it for handling/balance on the smaller (than my EM1 MK2) bodies that you might use this lens with, before committing to purchase.
I will. If I buy it, new or used, I'll most probably buy it locally anyway, unless I find some exceptionally low price elsewhere. When that is said, the GX8 is almost exactly the same size as the E-M1 models although with a shallower grip, and I do use it regularly with the 100-300mm which again is the same weight and size as the 12-100mm.

There's another factor here:
I've been considering buying a G9 for the rather nice price it's selling for here at the moment. However, with the E-M1X on the horizon, I think I will wait and see what that camera has to offer. Even though that will be a bigger camera, the G9 is already quite substantial, and the new Olympus might actually be a better option for my paid work and even for video. Time will show. For that camera, the 12-100mm would obviously be a great choice.

bensonga

Reading this and other threads on this forum, I'm reminded again of how fortunate we are to have so many great lens choices from Olympus and Panasonic.

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Reading this and other threads on this forum, I'm reminded again of how fortunate we are to have so many great lens choices from Olympus and Panasonic.

Gary
No, no, no, no, no... m4/3 is dying. Some Youtube Hero said so :facesmack: :chug: :ROTFL:

But honestly, I just spent half an hour watching an episode of a TV documentary series that my father directed 40 years ago for Norwegian State Broadcasting. For technical quality, on a scale form 1 to 10, I would give that episode a 2 since it was in colour, modern full frame cameras 9.9 and m4/3 9.75. And yes, they did use the best gear money could buy. All these discussions about this format vs. that format is marketing driven crap. M4/3 is as good as I'll ever need, and if you see me with a full frame digital camera, it's because I too has fallen for the pixel peeper propaganda :lecture:

iiiNelson

No, no, no, no, no... m4/3 is dying. Some Youtube Hero said so :facesmack: :chug: :ROTFL:

But honestly, I just spent half an hour watching an episode of a TV documentary series that my father directed 40 years ago for Norwegian State Broadcasting. For technical quality, on a scale form 1 to 10, I would give that episode a 2 since it was in colour, modern full frame cameras 9.9 and m4/3 9.75. And yes, they did use the best gear money could buy. All these discussions about this format vs. that format is marketing driven crap. M4/3 is as good as I'll ever need, and if you see me with a full frame digital camera, it's because I too has fallen for the pixel peeper propaganda :lecture:
Well I wouldn’t call the technical comparisons crap but the insistence that EVERYONE NEEDS FF is. There are some unique advantages to each system. If compactness and price is paramount Micro 4/3 wins all day on equivalent terms. If lowlight, more shallow DoF, smoother tonality/transition is more important the larger sensors pull ahead. You can make excellent photos with either (in the right hands) but there will always be the argument to be made that a great shot taken with a “better” camera could make a great shot even better.

For video with manual lenses theres an argument that Micro 4/3 is preferred for having greater DoF and ensuring you “get the shot” without an extraneous amount of focusing tools because not every production can afford dedicated focus pullers.