The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-100mm F4.0 PRO lens available

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm sure this Oly is an excellent lens. For me, if I had to pick a single comparable m43 lens for travel it would be my PL 12-60/2.8-4. The FF equiv 24-120 mm focal length handles most of my travel photo needs. It is a very good deal for USD $798 (after a $200 rebate).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...h_es12060_leica_dg_vario_elmarit_12_60mm.html

Gary
The alternative for me is probably the PL 10-25mm f/1.7 plus the PL 50-200mm f/2.8-4. My 100-300mm has now developed an AF problem. I'll see what I do.

bensonga

The alternative for me is probably the PL 10-25mm f/1.7 plus the PL 50-200mm f/2.8-4. My 100-300mm has now developed an AF problem. I'll see what I do.
I was thinking of which lens I would take for travel if I only wanted one lens (and one camera). I usually take a pair of GX8s with a 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8. I really like those two compact and fast lenses with internal zoom designs.

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was thinking of which lens I would take for travel if I only wanted one lens (and one camera). I usually take a pair of GX8s with a 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8. I really like those two compact and fast lenses with internal zoom designs.

Gary
I liked that combo a lot too, but the 35-100 was sometimes too short. The 100-300 on the other hand is more than long enough, and often too long at the short end. The 50-200 seems to be a good compromise, although bigger, heavier and more expensive than both.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
£764 new at Clifton Cameras in the UK today - a bit far for you to travel just for …...
Yes, although the price difference would have paid for half the airline ticket. However, I returned from Myanmar 10 minutes ago, was in the south of Thailand earlier this week, Vietnam last week and India next week... I'd rather pay not to spend more time on airplanes and in airport lounges :scry:

Elderly

I have a brother-in-law who at the moment is living in Thailand.....

….. I could buy it and when he next returns to the UK give it to him to take back out there?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have a brother-in-law who at the moment is living in Thailand.....

….. I could buy it and when he next returns to the UK give it to him to take back out there?
Thank you for the offer. Unfortunatly, I have kind of promised myself not to buy any espensive new gear this year. I think I'll stick with that for now. A new, more economical car is on the shopping list before this lens.

Elliot

I recently "upgraded" from the Panasonic G85 to the Olympus E-M1 Mark II. A principal reason is for moving birds with the Panasonic 100-400 and perhaps better performance in lower light situations. I find my taste has changed, too, in that I find the menus on the Mark II really understandable and that I like the controls on the Olympus a bit better.

I also want to upgrade my lenses for landscape and general purpose travel.

I either want to pair the Olympus 12-40 with the Panasonic 35-100 or just get the Olympus 12-100. I had the 12-40 previously with the E-M1 Mark I, and liked the result but never loved the lens. While heavier and a bit slower, I like the idea of the one lens and the lens stabilization system with the body.

Any thoughts?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I recently "upgraded" from the Panasonic G85 to the Olympus E-M1 Mark II. A principal reason is for moving birds with the Panasonic 100-400 and perhaps better performance in lower light situations. I find my taste has changed, too, in that I find the menus on the Mark II really understandable and that I like the controls on the Olympus a bit better.

I either want to pair the Olympus 12-40 with the Panasonic 35-100 or just get the Olympus 12-100. I had the 12-40 previously with the E-M1 Mark I, and liked the result but never loved the lens. While heavier and a bit slower, I like the idea of the one lens and the lens stabilization system with the body.

Any thoughts?
Well, the 12-40 is really a stunning piece of glass and I would always add it as my base lens I go with. Razor sharp, fast, reasonably small, .....

I would add the 4/12-100 as a general purpose lens, but it cannot do what the 12-40 can - this one can actually replace a number of primes with just one lens ....

Food for thought :thumbup:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Any thoughts?
The 12-100 plus the 100-400 sounds like a great combination, two quality zoom lenses covering an enormous range, although limited to f/4 and above. I prefer not to take more than two zoom lenses when I'm out and about, since they take up a lot of space in my bag. The exception was the 12-35/35-100mm Panasonic pair which is of exceptional quality while still small and compact.

For me, the choice at the moment is between buying the 12-100mm and keeping the Panasonic 100-300mm, versus buying the PL 10-25mm f/1.7 and the PL 50-200mm f/2.8-4. That would give me less reach but a stop more light and possibly sharper images.

I've never tried the 12-40mm, since I was more than happy with the 12-35 which also offered dual IS with my Panasonic cameras.

Elliot

Thanks for your thoughts.

Right now I have these lenses:
Panasonic 12-32
Panasonic 20 f/1.7 (original)
Olympus 45 f/1.8
Olympus 40-150 f4-5.6 (original m.Zuiko)
Panasonic 100-400

I am thinking of getting the Olympus 12-40 because of its quality and pair it with the Panasonic 35-100 (good used copy available). The instinct for the 12-100 is the synchronized stabilization and the one lens for most uses, albeit at a weight cost. The total dollar amount for either strategy is about the same. I need to make a decision about the 35-100 right away, though. I really am looking for good color rendition, sharpness, and as good a bokeh as one can get.

I have gone "Olympus" with the OM-D E-M1 Mark II and E-M10 Mark III combination.

Elderly

I am thinking of getting the Olympus 12-40 because of its quality and pair it with the Panasonic 35-100 (good used copy available). The instinct for the 12-100 is the synchronized stabilization and the one lens for most uses, albeit at a weight cost. The total dollar amount for either strategy is about the same.

I have gone "Olympus" with the OM-D E-M1 Mark II and E-M10 Mark III combination.
It's all VERY personal, but if you usually carry the 2 bodies, I'd go for the 2 lenses.

For MY use and style of photography I usually like to carry just one body, the E-M1 Mk II fitted with the 12-100.

I had the 12-40 and 40-150 Pro, but often found that I had the 'wrong' lens for the shot, and by the time
I'd changed lenses, the photo opportunity had passed.
Not missing the moment, is more important to ME than ultimate image quality and the 12-100 gives me my Goldilocks range.

For ME, the dual synch that my lens/body combo offers is not that important, as often it's my subject that is moving.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's all VERY personal, but if you usually carry the 2 bodies, I'd go for the 2 lenses.

For MY use and style of photography I usually like to carry just one body, the E-M1 Mk II fitted with the 12-100.

I had the 12-40 and 40-150 Pro, but often found that I had the 'wrong' lens for the shot, and by the time
I'd changed lenses, the photo opportunity had passed.
Not missing the moment, is more important to ME than ultimate image quality and the 12-100 gives me my Goldilocks range.

For ME, the dual synch that my lens/body combo offers is not that important, as often it's my subject that is moving.
Exactly! If I carry two bodies, it's to have a long telephoto lens on one and some kind of "normal" lens on the other. In this system, there are two high quality "normal" zooms that fall in the do-it-all category, the Zuiko 12-100mm and the somewhat shorter but also smaller PL 12-60mm. With an Olympus body, I would clearly go for the Zuiko. Even with GX8 bodies, I consider that option.

Elliot

I usually have just one camera. Last week, for example, I took the E-M10.3 with me and the small Panasonic 12-32 and Olympus 40-150 lenses to Portland, Maine, where I had a day to explore.

A Great Black Hawk from southern Mexico and points south was in town. He had been seen elsewhere in Maine in August and October, and now this time. The only other place in the United States one has been seen was southern Texas.

Fortunately, I got some decent photos for documenting the event, even though at quite a distance and with an overly busy background.

Great big lens.jpg
Whoops -- this is one of several people with big (and bigger) lenses.

Great Black HawkJPG.jpg
Great Black Hawk

scho

I'm looking for a companion for this lens (for use with OMD 1MKII) that has more reach. Thought about the Panasonic 100-300, but sharpness (with my copy) is not quite good enough. See screen grab comparison below. 100% crop, both the 100-300 (L) and 12-100 (R) at 100mm, f/5.6, ISO 200. I want to keep the kit relatively small and light so thinking about either the Oly 40-150 Pro or Pana/Leica 200 + 2x TC. I like the 40-150 that I had and sold earlier, but I'm not familiar with the 200.

Knorp

Wow - Carl, that 100-300/4.0-5.6 is really poor. But it seems there has been some serious vertical movement. Are you sure the lens was steady at the moment of shooting ?

scho

Wow - Carl, that 100-300/4.0-5.6 is really poor. But it seems there has been some serious vertical movement. Are you sure the lens was steady at the moment of shooting ?
Bart,

I will reshoot, but camera was on tripod and just switched lenses w/o removing camera. Set a 12 sec delay for shutter release. I might have forgotten to check what the IS settings were for both the lenses and camera so will do it again after paying more attention to settings. I have noticed that the 100-300 has been producing less than stellar images in terms of sharpness. Otherwise would have been an ideal companion lens to the 12-100.

OK, shot again and made sure this time that IS was set to OFF. Looks better but still lower contrast than the 12-100. This is the 100-300 original shot on left and new 100-300 shot on right with IS OFF.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My experience with the 100-300 is that it needs to be stopped down to f/8 to be reasonably sharp, but I doubt that it will be as sharp as the 12-100. The PL 50-200 is much sharper, and can be used with the Panasonic 1.4x TC. From what people tell me, the TC doesn't affect sharpness much. It's a much more expensive lens though.

scho

Trying my old Canon EF 100-400 L on the Oly via a Fotodiox Fusion adapter. Seems to work ok. Transfers all lens exif data, IS works, and focus is OK. Problem is the weight of the lens :thumbdown:

On tripod with IS off. Oly 12-100 L and Canon 100-400 R, both at 100mm

A few handheld snaps with the 100-400 at various FL settings