The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Leica DG VARIO-ELMARIT F2.8-4.0 Lens Series

biglouis

I thought so tool. A 50-200 which has an equivalent 400mm cropped focal length at f4 would be very good indeed. And if they are like any of the other new Leica lenses then they will be very good indeed.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Exactly, mount these on either the new Olympus EM1mark2 or Panasonic GH5 and have a winning combo for almost every occasion!

biglouis

.... or the G80/81/85.

The high quality lens selection for m4/3 is becoming rather overwhelming.
Which is why I've been surprised but also pleased about returning to the m43rds format.

In truth I probably would not need any of these lenses unless I was really to treat myself to the 50-100 for birding (400mm at f4 in low light would be useful).

I think my next spend might be on the just-announced EM1-II - I can't see using a GH5 and wasting all that video capability on stills shooting.

Of course, Panasonic may want to introduce something to succeed the GX8 at some point...

LouisB

Elderly

The 12-60 plus the 50-200 would be my ideal travel lens pair in theory ......
..... I say in theory because it would be dependent on their size and weight (which are the reasons why I switched to micro 4/3rds).

I'm also assuming that they will be Panasonic branded and not Leica,
hence they will be sold at a justifiable price.

But I'll wait until the dust settles; it will be interesting to compare IQ with the nearest Olympus equiverlents and to find out at what focal lengths the apertures shift away from f2.8.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
.... or the G80/81/85.

The high quality lens selection for m4/3 is becoming rather overwhelming.
While overwhelming this is best for all who stay(ed) in m43 land :)

One of the main reasons I am not leaving is the plethora of great lenses available. On my wish list are actually the

Leica DG 8-18mm as my standard wide angle zoom (what I used from Canon when I shot this brand) and the 50-200mm as my major wildlife lens (replacing the 80-400 Nikkor)

and the

Olympus 1.2 25 as my
standard lens also for available light and the new 12-100 in order to just have one lens for a light travel setup.

But heck - I see this is almost all the new high end glass announced for m43
:D

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Which is why I've been surprised but also pleased about returning to the m43rds format.

In truth I probably would not need any of these lenses unless I was really to treat myself to the 50-100 for birding (400mm at f4 in low light would be useful).

I think my next spend might be on the just-announced EM1-II - I can't see using a GH5 and wasting all that video capability on stills shooting.

Of course, Panasonic may want to introduce something to succeed the GX8 at some point...

LouisB
For me the EM1-II is almost a fix starter, as I am so used to the original EM1 that was and still is my workhorse camera for the last 3 years.

The GH5 is also unlikely for me, as I would like a Panasonic body mainly to be able to make optimal use of all the Leica DG features with camera (OIS plus Panasonic IBIS), but the successor of the GX8 could be exactly that :cool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wonder how the size of the 50-200 turns out compared to the Zuiko 40-150. The Zuiko is a lovely lens, but it's big, and the hood is huge. 8-18 plus 50-200 with a 25mm in the middle would do it for me, but on the other hand, I'm quite well served with the 9-18/14-50/40-150 combo that I currently use (and the 12-32/25/35-100 for the GM5).

Hey... where did all those lenses come from?!? :lecture: :ROTFL: :chug: