The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it worth €1,999?

V

Vivek

The EM1 mk II..no lens, not even a kitzoom...just the body.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The G80/85 does enough of what the E-M1 II offers for my use and is less than half the price. Back to Panasonic for me.

Elderly

Is it WORTH ........ ?

At the moment in the UK you can get an EM1 body with BOTH the 40-150 f2.8 lens,
and the 12-40 f2.8 lens as a bundle for EXACTLY the same price as a pre-order
EM1 Mk2 BODY ONLY :loco:.

Paratom

I recently bought a backup EM1-I new in box for 900. I dont see myself paying that amount of money (2000) for a m4/3 camera.

If I was a pro sportsphotographer and comitted to Oly I would buy it anyways.

But if I was a sports pro I would probably rather use a Nikon D5 and some Nikon glass.

I wonder how many Pros do use m43 in reality?

msadat

i do like the 4/3 system but the prices not. so i buy at the end of the cycle. i just got a panasonic gx8 20 meg (same as oly sensor) brand new from ebay around 600. best deal in town

Godfrey

Whenever I see questions like this, what I interpret them to mean is "I want one, but I don't want to spend the money. Therefore, I must belittle the item on the basis of price because everyone else will agree that it's expensive and that makes me feel good."

My E-M1 was $1699 when I bought it new in 2013. I had no qualms spending that money for it, and it has proven itself to be worth every penny I paid for it. The new model has large improvements on a number of features, is a NEW model, and costs $300 more; the older model is still available for substantially less (while supplies last) due to being an older model on the way out. So if the new features of the new model are of no particular interest to you, buy the older one instead. If you want the new features but want to pay less for the camera, wait a year or two.

Whether it's worth the price or not has nothing to do with the camera: it has to do with you and your use of it.

G

(And yes, Olympus does have a substantial professional market, and an excellent professional services organization. They just haven't marketed their professional users the way that Nikon and Canon have.)

Last edited:

Knorp

Does it still make it pricier than a FF Pentax K1? Did Olympus forget the size of their sensor?
Don't know, but the K-1 body is €2.099,- here.
As G pointed out, the E-M1 was already quite expensive right from the introduction back in 2013.
But admittedly, I'm scratching the back of my head seeing this price for the MK II.

Kind regards.

biglouis

I would consider one, once the introduction price drops, e.g. in the January sales in the UK.

However, Panasonic must be considering what to do with the GX8. I know they have the GH5 in the wings but for GX shooters what we want is the 20mpx without AA filter and the new IBIS and shutter mechanism for the G80. I can't believe Panasonic are just going to sit back and watch their premium camera sales drop before they introduce the GH5.

Just a thought.

And I agree, the G80 is a most compelling alternative to the Olympus because of the price point.

Just my two cents

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have to agree with Godfrey. Although it's too expensive for me given my current needs, I wouldn't have hesitated for a second had I still been shooting sports professionally. The competitors would have been the D500 (the GH5 probably being to video centred), but if the viewfinder of the new Olympus holds its promise, it's probably the more versatile camera, with IBIS, the ability to shoot video using the viewfinder and much more compact lenses. The weak spot of the Olympus would again be battery life, but even that seems to improve.

scott kirkpatrick

In the past few months (and coming months, since the E-M1 mkII isn't shipping yet) we've seen some overlapping advances in mirrorless capability. I suspect none of these will prove to solve every problem, but look at the increases in shooting speeds, functions like the continuous shooting with a history buffer, 4K video with more and more of the function inside the camera or camera plus powerbooster handgrip... I expect these improvements to spread across each manufacturers' line (M5.3, M10.3, Fuji X-E3 or 4, I've lost count...) so if the M1.2 is too expensive, just wait 6-9 months, and shop around. My Leica SL is already a year old, still has a better EVF than the latest Oly and Fuji top of the line models, but has fallen behind in internal bandwidth (only one UHS II card, the X-T2 drives both, and both Fuji and Oly can pump different files to each chip at the same time) and shooting speed. I would not be surprised to see a refresh coming there as well. But none of these leaders jostling for position will be super cheap.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Has anyone seen E-M1-ii ORF or ORF80 files?

I've seen three or four reviews now (especially since the Iceland party has returned and dried out), but I am hoping soon to see raw files posted from both the new lenses and in high definition mode as well as regular. Has anyone spotted examples? Several of the reviewers felt that the jpegs that have been shown so far are not revealing the full dynamic range the camera is capable of. LR, COne and even Olympus Viewer were not ready when the review shots started to be taken a week ago, but third party software will make it possible to view such files within a day or so, and the full product support can't be much further away.

Keep your eyes open!

scott

P.S.: Imaging Resource has both lab shots (taken with the old 50/2.0 Macro) and Iceland shots with both the 12-100 zoom and the new 25/1.2.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I just read Robin Wong's review. The man is an Olympus employee, so not totally unbiased. The advantage with that though, is that he knows how to get the most out of the camera. He's also a skilled photographer, which is more than what can be said about most reviewers out there in the world wide internet.

I was particularly impressed with his hand-held 5 second night shots and the ultra sharp girlie portraits taken with the 12-100mm wide open (watch the crops).

Forget what I've said about not needing this camera and going back to Panasonic. This is pretty astonishing stuff by Olympus. I might even get used to the ergonomics.... maybe :rolleyes:

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2016/11/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-review.html#more

scott kirkpatrick

Re:Robin Wong review is a must-read!

I don't care that he is an Olympus employee. His delight with the camera is contagious. Read it!

scott