The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gh5

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
and in the U.K. the new PL 12-60 is just £500 when bundled with the GH5.
It's about the same size as the Olympus 12-40 and is lighter than the Olympus.
I really want to know at what focal lengths it moves from f2.8 towards f4.0.

Size and weight are why I bought into the micro 4/3rds system many years ago with the GH1 in the first place; mine was of truly dreadful build quality and put me off Panasonic cameras ........ until now!
I was surprised to see how light that lens is. I was expecting around 500 grams.

The GH1... ha ha... the only camera I've had that has literally split in two when dropped to the ground. Panasonic managed to put it together though, and I still have it :)

bensonga

Yup, and the 100-300mm gets dual IS and weather sealing too. That suddenly makes it very attractive again. No, I didn't buy that second hand copy :)
Good thing you held off on buying that second hand copy Jorgen! For ~$650 USD and the upgrades to IS, weather sealing and the optical elements etc, the 100-300 II seems like a relative bargain.

Gary

biglouis

For a video-centric camera it is the first GH since the GH-2 which appeals to me.

The 18mpx 6K video-stills capability would be ideal for birding (or indeed any action photography).

I'm happy with the GX8 and recently acquired GX80 but I will certainly check the GH5 out once it is possible to see one in the hand.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For a video-centric camera it is the first GH since the GH-2 which appeals to me.

The 18mpx 6K video-stills capability would be ideal for birding (or indeed any action photography).

I'm happy with the GX8 and recently acquired GX80 but I will certainly check the GH5 out once it is possible to see one in the hand.

LouisB
The 6k video stills result im 18MP JPEGs - this is pretty good and is definitely very competitive if not better that what the EM1m2 can do with their Pro-Capture (or however the marketing term is).

The longer I think about the GH5 and the available lenses that appeal to me the more interesting this system gets! Maybe add a GX8 of the rangefinder style of work and be done!

biglouis

The 6k video stills result im 18MP JPEGs - this is pretty good and is definitely very competitive if not better that what the EM1m2 can do with their Pro-Capture (or however the marketing term is).

The longer I think about the GH5 and the available lenses that appeal to me the more interesting this system gets! Maybe add a GX8 of the rangefinder style of work and be done!
The only thing I don't find appealing is the new 12-60 lens - too slow at the long end, imho.

Although the 12-35/2.8 does not have the Leica moniker it is definitely a Leica design. Either by intent or by copying. Likewise the 35-100/2.8 is the sharpest zoom I have ever owned. Outstanding piece of glass. So, if you wanted to shave pennies a GH-5 and the 12-35/2.8 would not let you down.

I'm coming around to having one of these - Panasonic in the UK is offering a 5 year warranty on the body - my GH-2 did not even need to be sold after 4 years - I just made a poor decision selling it.

Decisions, decisions.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The only thing I don't find appealing is the new 12-60 lens - too slow at the long end, imho.

Although the 12-35/2.8 does not have the Leica moniker it is definitely a Leica design. Either by intent or by copying. Likewise the 35-100/2.8 is the sharpest zoom I have ever owned. Outstanding piece of glass. So, if you wanted to shave pennies a GH-5 and the 12-35/2.8 would not let you down.

I'm coming around to having one of these - Panasonic in the UK is offering a 5 year warranty on the body - my GH-2 did not even need to be sold after 4 years - I just made a poor decision selling it.

Decisions, decisions.

LouisB
+1 for the 12-35mm. It's absolutely stellar, and photos/videos taken with it get that special, undefinable "shine".

+1 for the 12-35mm. It's absolutely stellar, and photos/videos taken with it get that special, undefinable "shine".
Hi Jorgan and BigLouis

I assume you are referring to the "old" 12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100 f/2.8 that have been out there for several years. Today, I saw on one of the micro four thirds rumors sites that there is a mark two version of both the 12-35 f/2.8 and the 35-100 f/2.8. B&H already lists them, so they are for real. Since the mark one versions were already very good, I wonder what the mark two versions bring to the table. The prices seem to be unchanged for the 12-35mm but about $200 U.S LOWER for the 35-100mm. Panasonic has announced/released a blizzard of lenses in the past year.

bensonga

+2 for both the 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8. It was these two lenses which prompted me to get back into MFT with a GX-8 (and then a second GX-8). I had used the 12-35/2.8 and a GH2 as my only camera/lens on a trip to France a few years ago. Wish I had brought a 35-100/2.8 on that trip as well.

Gary

GX-8 and 12-35/2.8 v1
I love the look of these old race cars at Laguna Seca...this photo only spoiled by the GoPro camera housing.
Race stewards required these to be removed during the actual races for all Group 1A pre-WWII cars.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've looked around a bit, and the mods to the 12-35/35-100 duo seems to be better weather sealing, including the ability to shoot down to -10 degrees C, and better AF performance to match the AF system of the GH5. The colour also seems to be different, mat black instead of the partly shiny surface of the old versions.

drofnad

> This really looks like a fantastic tool, for photography and video.
> I can't see how I can not buy this camera.

What are the current betting odds that this eager buyer waits 'til April birthday? ;)
(As others fondle the new body and report glowing images from it ... !)

I suppose I see now some reason for the lower Pana lens B&Sell prices, with the mark-2s coming in a lower (than orig.'s) new prices.
(Btw, I like the notation ".2" vs "mkII" etc.. And I don't like the now clusterclutter of all these "G" & "8" model #s. The other day I started to write to point out that there was a mistake until after my 3rd reading I finally noted the "X" or lack of in with "G" & "8". Good grief, how about . . . "Brownie" ?! :eek: )

-d.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Let's face it: it's a behemoth, right ?

Though I think it may actually have a better or more comfortable grip than the E-M1.
Well, behemoth is in the eye of the observer :cool:

I think it has quite the right size from the beginning! I wish many other vendors would choose such a minimal size for some of their models, that are not designed or built to just be the "smallest possible to achieve"!!! Makes those cameras much better to hold and handle from the beginning.

Give you another example besides the EM1, the Fuji XT2. As much as I love this camera, without grip it is really too small for most lenses attached - at least IMHO and for my size of hands - and I do not really have the largest ones ;)

So I applaude Panasonic for having made the GH5 substantially bigger than the EM1.