The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gh5

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The title of this thread is "GH5".
Is there any new information reported?
I'm following a GH5 forum on FB. Information has started to appear. Then dpr have apparently started reviewing one, and their test images are out. No surprises there, and very close to the E-M1 and also the GX8 when it comes to image quality:

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/6088122255/panasonic-gh5-update

There's also a rather critical video test online at cinema5d.com, a test that is attacked by many for all kinds of reasons:

https://www.cinema5d.com/panasonic-gh5-lab-review-10-bit-flaws-vlog-free-gh5-lut/

k-hawinkler

I'm following a GH5 forum on FB. Information has started to appear. Then dpr have apparently started reviewing one, and their test images are out. No surprises there, and very close to the E-M1 and also the GX8 when it comes to image quality:

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/6088122255/panasonic-gh5-update

There's also a rather critical video test online at cinema5d.com, a test that is attacked by many for all kinds of reasons:

https://www.cinema5d.com/panasonic-gh5-lab-review-10-bit-flaws-vlog-free-gh5-lut/

Thanks Jorgen. Your second reference points to

https://www.cinema5d.com/olympus-om...w-real-world-video-samples-first-impressions/

which seems to be a nice review by a newbie to Olympus cameras and lenses.
But he seems experienced with video.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There are plenty reviews out, here is a comparison you may find of interest: GH5 vs E-M1II image quality comparison via Imaging Resource and Dpreview
It seems like the Olympus has the edge when it comes to stills, which is not unexpected. I saw a video review, can't remember where, comparing the E-M1 II, the G85 and the A6500. The Sony came out on top, but what surprised me was that the G85 outperformed the Olympus easily. But again, that was when shooting video and with focus on low light/high ISO.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jorgen. Your second reference points to

https://www.cinema5d.com/olympus-om...w-real-world-video-samples-first-impressions/

which seems to be a nice review by a newbie to Olympus cameras and lenses.
But he seems experienced with video.
Here are some counterpoints to the GH5 review on cinema5d.

Cinema5D - "comments leave me truly disappointed in our community of filmmakers" - EOSHD

I don't know cinema5d well, but I do trust Andrew Reid's points of view (eoshd). He seems to be more down to earth and more interested in comparing apples to apples in real life situations.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As for myself, I'm so happy with the size and handling of the GX8 that I might skip the GH5 as well as the G85 and wait for the GX9 or maybe even buy another, used GX8. What could change that is if I need the added performance of the GH5 for my work, but then, somebody else would probably have to pick up the bill anyway :)

Another option for me is to buy an Inspire 2 with the Zenmuse X5s. It does most of what the GH5 does plus Cinema DNG, and it flies. It also costs a zillion, but would probably be instantly profitable for me. It's a question of raising the money and finding the time to utilise it, both serious challenges. Time will show :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Inspire 2 with the Zenmuse X5s now you are talking! :thumbs:
It's still a pipe dream, but I do industrial video, and there are so many shots that are difficult or even impossible to get because I need a crane to get above ground. A good drone, and the Inspire 2/Zenmuse X5s is the best there is.

These guys have used it for all it's worth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECy75GyzNvc

I visited a local DJI dealer and mentioned that I could be interested in that combo. I shouldn't have done that. He almost started hovering himself just by the thought of selling the top model :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The GH5 seems to be an impressive package indeed!

Anyway, I would think the EM1.2 can do the same, but just in a bit smaller package.

So maybe no more need for me for another camera :LOL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The GH5 seems to be an impressive package indeed!

Anyway, I would think the EM1.2 can do the same, but just in a bit smaller package.

So maybe no more need for me for another camera :LOL:
Not if you want to do slow-mo (60 or 50 fps) in 4K and not if you want to use the PL 100-400 with dual IS. The latter wasn't used in this sample, but would have been a lens to bring for such an event. Did I mention 180 fps 1080p?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Not if you want to do slow-mo (60 or 50 fps) in 4K and not if you want to use the PL 100-400 with dual IS. The latter wasn't used in this sample, but would have been a lens to bring for such an event. Did I mention 180 fps 1080p?
While I started doing video after I resisted for many years, I very seldom do 4K and if I cannot see myself doing slow motion very often. Having said that on paper and feature wise the GH5 is the absolute top m43 camera.

I still like the EM1.2 better and would not hesitate pairing it with the 100-400. Sure enough dual IS would be an advantage :toocool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While I started doing video after I resisted for many years, I very seldom do 4K and if I cannot see myself doing slow motion very often. Having said that on paper and feature wise the GH5 is the absolute top m43 camera.

I still like the EM1.2 better and would not hesitate pairing it with the 100-400. Sure enough dual IS would be an advantage :toocool:
It's all dependent on one's needs, and I'm not even sure that those features would be useful for myself. There are other advantages with Panasonic's video processing as well, but those are more subtle and mostly interesting for those who make video for a living.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's all dependent on one's needs, and I'm not even sure that those features would be useful for myself. There are other advantages with Panasonic's video processing as well, but those are more subtle and mostly interesting for those who make video for a living.
I agree, but I do not make video for a living, mostly for fun :D

rayyan

Jorgen, recently when in Dubai, I held ( not tested ) the em1.2, the gx8 and gx85.

The em1.2 is above my price range. I like the gx8. However, a question is bothering me.

Have you experience the issue of the ' shutter shock ' associated with the gx8?

We are in the early planning stages of a trip..in different directions! I would prefer to have a new camera tested and worked out, before I take it. If I can save enough to purchase it and the 2 lenses you mention.

Thanks.

For me, it would be the GX8 with the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 and the Zuiko 75mm f/1.8. This is indeed my current kit. Very high quality, very compact and lightweight, and dual IS with the zoom lens. An alternative to the 75mm would be the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 which is much smaller and lighter than the Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 and also offers dual IS with Panasonic bodies. You lose at the long end though.

Then there are stellar primes like the PL 12mm f/1.4, Zuiko 25mm f/1.2 and PL 42.5mm f/1.2.

Although the GX8 is not a particularly small body, the form factor makes it take up little space. I also find the tilting viewfinder convenient at times, and I love the Panasonic ergonomics which are similar to Nikon's. An alternative to the GX8 is the smaller GX85/80. Less features, but very nice image quality. Better IS, but not as good viewfinder.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, recently when in Dubai, I held ( not tested ) the em1.2, the gx8 and gx85.

The em1.2 is above my price range. I like the gx8. However, a question is bothering me.

Have you experience the issue of the ' shutter shock ' associated with the gx8?

We are in the early planning stages of a trip..in different directions! I would prefer to have a new camera tested and worked out, before I take it. If I can save enough to purchase it and the 2 lenses you mention.

Thanks.
No, I haven't, but to prevent this, I've set electronic shutter to "Auto". Then the camera switches to electronic shutter whenever it's in the shutter speed area where "shutter shock" might appear. Better safe than sorry :)

I've also got the electronic shutter switch on one of the many fn buttons, so that I can change this quickly when needed.