The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gh5

drofnad

B&H Photo Video just announced :: a "livestream panel discussion"
on Weds. 3/29 at 1pm EDT (=5pm GMT, yes?).
cf.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prom...tent=Retail&utm_term=panasonic-gh5-live-event
There panel comprises one Lumix Luminary Team fellow and 4 others whose cred.s all include video.

AND, "submit a question on Twitter for a chance to win a GH5 camera" ! to #BHPhotoLive

:)
ONGOING --a chat session, responding to various Tweets.

Ooops, sounds like it's off-going, now.

:)

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Gh5 -- not the only ultimate stabilized video

I have the full set of Olympus Pro zooms and a few other excellent primes (25, 60, 75), and there are several deals running currently that give you $200 off current Oly products if you trade in something older (I've got LOTS of that). So I don't find the M1.2 as expensive any more. I was impressed by Robin Wong's exploits in handholding shots down to several seconds with the M1.2 in conjunction with the new 12-100 IS. And very impressed by the recently posted Ming Thein video shot under challenging conditions in C4K with two M1.2's. So I've ordered an M1.2 and the super zoom. The M1.2 is currently in stock and the zoom requires a week or two's wait.

There are video fora where people talk about this stuff. I've added my vote to the requests for a genuine log profile, but am looking to understand the other characteristics of the m1.2's video output, like 8 bit 4:2:2 and whether it supports two UHS II chips or only chip #1. With my m5.2s, it was discouraging to discover that Auto ISO isn't working when you are in manual mode for video. In video the shutter speed is set close to the frame rate, the aperture for the DOF, and the ISO should compensate, but it didn't seem to work that way. I'm hoping for better in the m1.2.

I went and looked at the slack lines videos, which showed what a big step up stabilization had made for them, and also showed C4K at 60P, which let them do the slo motion stuff. They talk about 10 bit color, but i don't think anyone is doing that to the card just yet, and I didn't see anything but a very fuzzy microphone on their kit. 24P is just fine for me, so I'm feeling comfortable.

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

That's a good review site, which I will continue to monitor. He points out that the 4K modes on the M1.2 use the full width of the chip, unlike the m5.2, which is also good for stabilized video (at 1080p) but impose an additional multiplication factor of about 1.3x. The GH-5 is ahead of the M1.2 on two parameters: the panasonic supports output over UHS II (the larger number of pins on the chip) to BOTH chips, while the M1.2 writes on the faster bus only to chip #1 (like Leica SL and Fuji X2). And the GH-5 can blast out C4K at 60P for unlimited times while the M1.2 stops at 29 minutes (for world trade rules, if the battery hasn't given out first). A lot of the differences are in the don't care margin, but using the full frame width brings the 75/1.8 into wider usability. When I shot video of a play recently, the 75/1.8 could not always keep two actors in frame from the back of the theater. This should solve that problem.

He seems to think that the Fuji X-T2 is a step behind Olympus in this area, despite having a larger chip. Perhaps that is because the standard cinema "super 35" image is 35 mm half frame, and Fuji (as well as Leica SL) defaults to that.

thanks for the link.

scott

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The EM1.2 and the GH5 have NO crop when using 4k! This is the most important feature of all - at least for me.

I could not care less about filming longer than 29 min or not, so this does not make the GH5 beneficial for me at all.

The Fuji XT2 has definitely a crop when using 4K, so this is a drawback - even for me, as I do not like crops when filming.

I guess the Leica SL does also crop when using 4K - but anyway I am not at all interested in the Leica SL - at least not for the moment :cool:

scott kirkpatrick

The M43 frame is nominally 18 mm wide, and so is the super-35 frame used within APS-C cameras (FUJI) or those who aspire to host PL-mount lenses (Leica), that only cover super 35. So there is no longer any disadvantage to going with M43 in this area, and a convenience not having to figure out multiplication factors.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The M43 frame is nominally 18 mm wide, and so is the super-35 frame used within APS-C cameras (FUJI) or those who aspire to host PL-mount lenses (Leica), that only cover super 35. So there is no longer any disadvantage to going with M43 in this area, and a convenience not having to figure out multiplication factors.
Especially forgetting about multiplication factors is crucial for me :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The dpr review is up, and they seem to like it. I was just offered a new G85 at a nice price though, and will probably go for that solution. It's the perfect companion for the GX8 and uses the same battery. It's also enough for my needs, where I'll use the GX8 mainly for stills and the G85 mainly for video, or one with 12-35 and the other with 35-100. The sum of what I pay for the combo is 30% less than I would have to for the GH5.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5

biglouis

Jorgen, I read it through this morning.

For me, it is still way too video-centric. Video just does not interest me - I like stills photography.

I remain hopefull that we will get the improved sensor (no AA filter), better AF, improved shutter (less chance of shutter shock) and better IBIS, plus the 6K stills capture in a GX8-like form factor at some point this year.

If not, it will be a real shame for those photographers who primarily use m43rds for stills.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The GH5 seems to be really designed for video! This is a good thing albeit I do not understand why this crappy AF in video (see several tests and reviews on the Internet). The main reason seems to be the lack of PDAF, a major difference to the Olympus EM1.2 BTW, that has over 100 PDAF points coupled with CDAF and while AF is also not perfect in video, it seems to be at least lightyears above the GH5.

Well I do know that serious videographers use mainly MF, but heck - I am just too lazy for that and appreciate functional AF for video1

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, I read it through this morning.

For me, it is still way too video-centric. Video just does not interest me - I like stills photography.

I remain hopefull that we will get the improved sensor (no AA filter), better AF, improved shutter (less chance of shutter shock) and better IBIS, plus the 6K stills capture in a GX8-like form factor at some point this year.

If not, it will be a real shame for those photographers who primarily use m43rds for stills.

LouisB
I'm sure we'll see a GX8 replacement soon. Still, I went for the cheaper G85 for now. I'm extremely happy with the image quality I get from the GX8 already, particularly with the 12-35/35-100 duo, so I'll probably postpone buying the replacement until I can get it second hand.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I opted for the GH5 in order to do a few videos for a colleague ... it does many things very well and with firmware updates will continue to improve.
Spec wise it is hard to fault. The more I use it the better I understand just how deep Panasonic understood the desires and needs of the non-Pro
video shooter.

if you can sing this baby can dance ....

Bob

raist3d

As for myself, I'm so happy with the size and handling of the GX8 that I might skip the GH5 as well as the G85 and wait for the GX9 or maybe even buy another, used GX8. What could change that is if I need the added performance of the GH5 for my work, but then, somebody else would probably have to pick up the bill anyway :)

Another option for me is to buy an Inspire 2 with the Zenmuse X5s. It does most of what the GH5 does plus Cinema DNG, and it flies. It also costs a zillion, but would probably be instantly profitable for me. It's a question of raising the money and finding the time to utilise it, both serious challenges. Time will show :)
I thought your dream camera was the GM5 :) So do you still have/use the GM5 or is the GX8 your next camera after the GM5?

I like the GX8, wish it had no AA filter and that it was smaller. But it's great.

- Ricardo

raist3d

The GH5 seems to be really designed for video! This is a good thing albeit I do not understand why this crappy AF in video (see several tests and reviews on the Internet). The main reason seems to be the lack of PDAF, a major difference to the Olympus EM1.2
Nah. Wait for new firmware upgrades.

BTW, that has over 100 PDAF points coupled with CDAF and while AF is also not perfect in video, it seems to be at least lightyears above the GH5.
The video on GH5 is light years ahead of anything in like 2-4 times its price. There's just no comparison. Not that the EM1 MKII can't do video, but as far as best video and pro options goes, nothing touches the GH5.

Well I do know that serious videographers use mainly MF, but heck - I am just too lazy for that and appreciate functional AF for video1
I am sure the GH5 has more than functional AF for video as it is, and Panasonic already mentioned they are working on upgrading that anyway.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Nah. Wait for new firmware upgrades.

The video on GH5 is light years ahead of anything in like 2-4 times its price. There's just no comparison. Not that the EM1 MKII can't do video, but as far as best video and pro options goes, nothing touches the GH5.

I am sure the GH5 has more than functional AF for video as it is, and Panasonic already mentioned they are working on upgrading that anyway.

- Ricardo
Sorry to need to disagree here

1) What is a Pro feature? When I need a feature and am no Pro then does this make a Pro feature to a non-pro feature? I hate this useless discussion about Pro and Non-Pro .... If a feature is implemented it should work, at least if a brand claims to be the absolutely best in an area.

2) There are numerous samples on the Internet showing the crappy AF of the GH5 in video (jumping around etc). I am not saying that other cameras are perfect but whenever a brand claims to have invented the absolutely best video/still camera they also should ensure they can keep up with AF at least with what most of the competition can do. Otherwise what is the reason for inventing the BEST AF system?

I am confident that Panasonic will improve video AF with FW updates and we all hope that this will happen sooner than later.

Peter

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I thought your dream camera was the GM5 :) So do you still have/use the GM5 or is the GX8 your next camera after the GM5?

I like the GX8, wish it had no AA filter and that it was smaller. But it's great.

- Ricardo
I use the GM5 when I need very small, and since it's so tiny, it always comes along with the two others. Since I have 3 batteries for it, I rarely bring the charger for the GM5 when I travel. The GX8 and G85 share batteries and charger.

I'm actually quite happy with the AA filter on the GX8. With good lenses, the detail rendering is great. With the G85, there's moiré occasionally.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

1) What is a Pro feature? When I need a feature and am no Pro then does this make a Pro feature to a non-pro feature? I hate this useless discussion about Pro and Non-Pro .... If a feature is implemented it should work, at least if a brand claims to be the absolutely best in an area.

2) There are numerous samples on the Internet showing the crappy AF of the GH5 in video (jumping around etc). I am not saying that other cameras are perfect but whenever a brand claims to have invented the absolutely best video/still camera they also should ensure they can keep up with AF at least with what most of the competition can do. Otherwise what is the reason for inventing the BEST AF system?

But I guess you are not one of the buyers of the GH5, so why care anyway?

Peter
Video using AF requires a lot of practice. I had no problems shooting sports video using the GH3, but it took a lot of practice. For static subjects, manual focus is vastly superior with any camera shooting video.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Video using AF requires a lot of practice. I had no problems shooting sports video using the GH3, but it took a lot of practice. For static subjects, manual focus is vastly superior with any camera shooting video.
Well I guess one needs a lot of practice for shooting decent video - AF as well as MF.

Shooting not sports videos but wildlife and kids (lots of erroneous movements) I had very great results using AF on my Olympus EM1.2 as well as the Fuji XT2. Definitely lightyears better than with my Nikon D810. I am talking about AF!

Coming back to the GH5 - I had hoped that the Panasonic "what else they call their new sophisticated AF system" would kind of completely solve all the AF issues in video, for all different scenes. But unfortunately so far this seems not really to be true :(

raist3d

All of the GH5 is working. As far as AF it's all like internet usual- blown up out of proportion. When I said Pro I mean higher end features like video grading, calibration, built in and ready to go.

Panasonic already said they will look at that. The camera *just* came out. And AF for stills is fine along with continuous autofocus (a key area that is hard to do for contrast systems).

Commercial videos on the higher tier do manual focus anyway,

I am confident that Panasonic will improve video AF with FW updates and we all hope that this will happen sooner than later.

Peter
It will all happen. It's a fantastic camera. In the mean time look at the bit rate and bit depth that thing is capturing- and no amount of "good AF" will save you on another brand.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Well I guess one needs a lot of practice for shooting decent video - AF as well as MF.

Shooting not sports videos but wildlife and kids (lots of erroneous movements) I had very great results using AF on my Olympus EM1.2 as well as the Fuji XT2. Definitely lightyears better than with my Nikon D810. I am talking about AF!

Coming back to the GH5 - I had hoped that the Panasonic "what else they call their new sophisticated AF system" would kind of completely solve all the AF issues in video, for all different scenes. But unfortunately so far this seems not really to be true :(
In the meantime you are completely ignoring video quality :)

- Ricardo