The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gh5

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Slowly, news are trickling in about the hi-end Panasonic, so we should have a thread to keep each other updated (or am I the only one interested in this camera?). Although I'm sure the Olympus will be the more popular model, some of us do like the Panasonic way of thinking :)

For serious video shooters, this camera will probably be something of a no-brainer, with lots of video features, apparently no crop 4K and 4K 60P. But how about the rest, like the usability for stills photography?

The image below seems to confirm a joystick for selection of AF point, another score over the E-M1 II in the ergonomics area. The big question is of course if it will have IBIS, but 43rumours now claims that it will have, 100%.

Knorp

Rumor has it the price will be close to the E-M1 II.
It's just the 'not-exactly-matching' IS solutions from Olympus and Panasonic that bugs me.
With many Zuikos (m4/3 & 4/3) and just a few Panaleicas I rather stick to the OMD family.
If my 4/3s would perform more or less the same on the GH5, than yes perhaps.

Or should I have both ?
:chug:

Last edited:

Elderly

(or am I the only one interested in this camera?). ]
I'm not interested in a body-lead purchase of a Panasonic
BUT ........ two of the hopefully upcoming PL lens (12-60 & 50-200)
would in theory be an ideal two lens travel package for me
and so I can see the possibility of moving completely away from Olympus to Panansonic.

biglouis

I'm just puzzled about what Panasonic is going to do with the GX line.

The reason I did not buy into the GH-3 or 4 was that they were too video-centric but the GX7 which was touted as the top of line stills camera did not do it for me either. That's when I left m43rds.

I returned with the GX8 which seems to me to be primarily a stills-shooter camera but of course now I want it with the improved shutter and IBIS of the GX85/G80 and hopefully a 20mpx sensor without AA filter.

I like the form factor and the size of my GX8 - the GH-5 while I am sure it will be fine body for many people looks like it is too bulky for me.

I only hope Panasonic don't think 'job done' with the G80 and GX85 and are going to surprise us with a GX9 because I don't see the GH-5 as being an upgrade camera for me (as a stills shooter,only).

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm just puzzled about what Panasonic is going to do with the GX line.

The reason I did not buy into the GH-3 or 4 was that they were too video-centric but the GX7 which was touted as the top of line stills camera did not do it for me either. That's when I left m43rds.

I returned with the GX8 which seems to me to be primarily a stills-shooter camera but of course now I want it with the improved shutter and IBIS of the GX85/G80 and hopefully a 20mpx sensor without AA filter.

I like the form factor and the size of my GX8 - the GH-5 while I am sure it will be fine body for many people looks like it is too bulky for me.

I only hope Panasonic don't think 'job done' with the G80 and GX85 and are going to surprise us with a GX9 because I don't see the GH-5 as being an upgrade camera for me (as a stills shooter,only).

LouisB
You are right, Louis. The GH3/4/5 are "man cameras". The design philosophy seems to be much of the same as for a Nikon D5; big and bulky for what it is, but you can use it as a hammer if the need arises. They also have a much more conservative button layout than a camera like the E-M1 (although similar to the GX8), which suits me fine. When I used the GH3, my confidence with the camera was total, unlike with the E-M1.

Yes, it's video centric, but it will also be a fantastic stills camera. much of what is good for video is good for stills too, including low contrast settings and lots of processing capacity. As for size, it feels beefy, but isn't that much bigger than a GX8 or E-M1, at least not if the size is the same as the GH3/4. For video shooters, that doesn't matter much, since they tend to attach so many gadgets to the body anyway.

I will be very tempted by this camera. I still miss the GH3, and playing around with 4K 60P would be just great :)

biglouis

One thing I admit would be tempting to me with the GH-5 is the 18mpx 8K video stills. For birding that could be very useful indeed.

I'm in no hurry. I get a lot of bang for the buck out of my GX8 which is less than a year old and I have quite a lot of work to get done. Better to do it with the equipment I now know well.

LouisB

Elderly

Shown with both the Lumix and Leica 12-60 lenses;
the latter having a 4mm increase in filter size.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
4th of January there should be a major announcement bet Panasonic at CES Las Vegas.

Panasonic will announce three new cameras and three new lenses tomorrow (Januaty 4th) - mirrorlessrumors

And although I am committed to Fuji (XT2) now, the new GH5 draws my attention and is what I would have expected Olympus to do with their EM1m2. Great features for me are the 20.3 million pixel sensor. the 3.68Mdots EVF with 0,.76x magnification, the form factor I really love as well as the impressive video features and the 5 axis IBIS. Plus in combination the new PanaLeica lenses, especially the 12-60 but also the updated versions of the 2.8 12-35 and 35-100. Add to this the 100-400 and the Nocticron and the fast 1.4/12 and this is really camera system heaven!

I am so excited I was not for long time and this might mark my reentry into m43 or even become my go to system in parallel with the Fuji X.

• LUMIX DC-GH 5
    – Number of effective pixels 20.3 million pixels (total number of pixels: 21.77 million pixels)
    – 3,680,000 dots organic EL EVF (0.76 times)
    – 1.62 million dots free angle monitor (touch panel)
    – Wi-Fi (802.11a / b / g / n / ac), Bluetooth (v4.2) installed
    – USB type-C (USB 3.1 GEN 1)
    – Dual SD card slot
    – 138.5 x 98.1 x 87.4 mm
    – 645 g (main body only), 725 g (SD card, battery included)
    – Slow motion up to 180 fps!
    -much larger number of focus point: 225 vs 49 in the GH4.
    – Same body weather sealing as the E M1 II – up to minus 10 degrees of cold.
    – 5 axis IBIS
    – No more limit about the duration of recording. 29 minutes in Europe.
    – The audio XLR microphone hotshoe mounted I/O interface will be compatible with the
    DMC-GH4.
    – It has full size HDMi
    – Panasonic plans to start shipping out the GH5 in March/April!
    – Body only: Price will be between 1 800 € and 2 000 € in Europe for the DMC-GH5.
    – Price will be ± 2 900 € for the DMC-GH5 + the new Panasonic Leica 12-60 Lens (not the older 12-60mm lens!
  • LEICA DG Vario-Elmarit 12 – 60 mm F 2.8 – 4 Power OIS
    – Lens construction: 12 groups 14 pieces (4 aspheric lenses and 2 ED lenses)
    – Shortest shooting distance: 20 cm (wide angle), 24 cm (telephoto)
    – Maximum shooting magnification: 0.3 times (converted to 35 mm 0.6 times)
    – Shake correction: POWER OIS
    – Filter diameter: 62 mm
    – Size (maximum diameter × length): 68.4 mm × 86 mm
    – Weight: 320 g
  • LUMIX GX VARIO 12 – 35 mm F 2.8 II ASPH. POWER OIS
  • LUMIX GX VARIO 35-100 mm F 2.8 II POWER OIS

Attachments

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I happen to have my birthday in April. I guess I don't need any better excuse than that to buy one :D

This looks like exactly the powerhouse I was hoping for. It will be very interesting to see that viewfinder and what improvements they have done with AF in addition to the increased number of AF points. The viewfinder magnification is up there with the best full frame cameras, but 50% more pixels than the Sony top models. It will be interesting to see refresh rates and how it works with bursts.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I happen to have my birthday in April. I guess I don't need any better excuse than that to buy one :D

This looks like exactly the powerhouse I was hoping for. It will be very interesting to see that viewfinder and what improvements they have done with AF in addition to the increased number of AF points. The viewfinder magnification is up there with the best full frame cameras, but 50% more pixels than the Sony top models. It will be interesting to see refresh rates and how it works with bursts.
Jorgen,

you have my consent! ;) Make yourself a great and lasting birthday present!!!

WRT viewfinder - I think I kind of understand meanwhile why a number of mirrorless cameras do not have higher than 2.3MP EVFs - it is mainly the combination of megapixels in the EVF and the refresh rate (you need to be able to get (MP-count) x (refresh rate)) that requires fast sensor read out as well. Leica obviously have solved that with their Leica Q and the Leica SL already more than 1 year ago. I was hoping that Olympus would have jumped on that bandwagon as well, but probably the sensor they are using does not support the necessary higher refresh rates, hence a higher res EVF does not make sense for them. This makes me conclude that Panasonic is also using a different sensor in the GH5 than the Olympus EM1-II sensor.

BTW this seems to be the reason as well why the Fuji XT2 still has a 2.3 MP EVF as they obviously are using an "older" sony 24MP APSC sensor design. Although I must say that the XT2 EVF is so good that I do no longer see and feel any differences to even very good OVFs. So this GH5 EVF should be like in viewfinder heaven :cool:

bensonga

Nice to see Panasonic has updated the 12-35, 35-100 and 100-300 mm lenses also.

I really like the "form factor" of the GH series of cameras. Also, while this is mostly a matter of personal preference, I've always been more comfortable with the Panasonic menus and controls than the Olympus. If I were to upgrade (a big if) the GH5 is a more likely choice for me than the Oly EM1.2

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...sonic-gh5-specs-lenses-gx850-and-fz80-cameras

Gary

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Nice to see Panasonic has updated the 12-35, 35-100 and 100-300 mm lenses also.

I really like the "form factor" of the GH series of cameras. Also, while this is mostly a matter of personal preference, I've always been more comfortable with the Panasonic menus and controls than the Olympus. If I were to upgrade (a big if) the GH5 is a more likely choice for me than the Oly EM1.2

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...sonic-gh5-specs-lenses-gx850-and-fz80-cameras

Gary
I must say as a long time Olympus shooter, lately with the EM1, I would definitely prefer the GH5 now. The GH5 just ticks much more boxes for me and the lens lineup of these PanaLeica lenses is now so complete, that I can cover whatever photographic situation I might ever come in with ease and get the Leica quality and feel at the same time!

For certain situations I might get a GH5 and some selected PanaLeica lenses and take it from there. And time as well as experience would tell me if that could become my one and only system :cool:

But the GH5 will most definitely keep me in m43 land!

Elderly

and in the U.K. the new PL 12-60 is just £500 when bundled with the GH5.
It's about the same size as the Olympus 12-40 and is lighter than the Olympus.
I really want to know at what focal lengths it moves from f2.8 towards f4.0.

Size and weight are why I bought into the micro 4/3rds system many years ago with the GH1 in the first place; mine was of truly dreadful build quality and put me off Panasonic cameras ........ until now!