The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, minimum shutter speed and auto ISO

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Is there any way of specifying a minimum shutter speed when using aperture priority and auto ISO with the E-M1? As it is now, the camera tends to prefer shutter speeds 2-4x the focal length and bump up the ISO, which isn't what I want when using IBIS.

Knorp

It's one of those puzzling mysteries of the universe ...
Hopefully they solved this with the mark II.

scott kirkpatrick

I read somewhere that the M1.2 had the option to assign ON/OFF function to a button that you can reach with your right hand.

Auto-ISO in the rest of the world has the ability for the user to select an upper ISO limit and a lower shutter speed limit. Sometimes just 1/f or 1/2f; sometimes a minimum speed; sometimes both. I think Olympus might have invented this feature first with their funky "change 'em both just a little at a time" and just be too proud of their version to let the user try the other controls. The M1 and the M5.2 both use this approach. I actually like it, now that I think about what they are doing, as long as they allow the shutter speed to drop further when there is less light than the max ISO/min shutter speed would permit. If I use aperture priority, as the light level decreases the standard approaches keep the ISO at minimum while dropping the shutter speed all the way to the minimum before increasing ISO.

At least Olympus has the option to let you use Auto ISO while otherwise operating in manual mode, setting explicit shutter speed and aperture.

scott

PS: AHA! Deep in the E-M1 mark II instruction manual, where it explains what you can do in the auto exposure setting menu, is a new sentence, not seen in the M1 or M5.2 manuals...

[Lowest S/S Setting]: Automatically sets the lowest shutter
speed value when the ISO sensitivity is raised in P and A
modes

And the alternative is AUTO, which is probably what they have been doing up to now