The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly 25/1.2 pro

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have both these lenses Godfrey and the Olympus 1.2 is in another league. The bokeh is outstanding the only negative is the size compared to the other 25 mm lenses. I really enjoy shooting with this focal length so adding this to my kit to replace the 25mm 0.95 was an easy choice.
I fully understand!

Also for me this Oly lens is one of the main reasons to stay with m43!

Godfrey

I have both these lenses Godfrey and the Olympus 1.2 is in another league. The bokeh is outstanding the only negative is the size compared to the other 25 mm lenses. I really enjoy shooting with this focal length so adding this to my kit to replace the 25mm 0.95 was an easy choice.
Both these lenses ... which two, specifically? There are three fast 25s currently available?

And its good to hear the Olympus is distinctive and produces beautiful results. It would be nice, however, to see some photos that illustrate the differences between the lenses.

thx!
G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Both these lenses ... which two, specifically? There are three fast 25s currently available?

And its good to hear the Olympus is distinctive and produces beautiful results. It would be nice, however, to see some photos that illustrate the differences between the lenses.

thx!
G
Godfrey,

you have to feel this yourself ;):cool::D

Peter

Godfrey

Godfrey,

you have to feel this yourself ;):cool::D

Peter
Um, not going to happen. I'm in a culling mood: I'm slowly selling off most everything other than my Leica SL, Leica M, and Hasselblad kit. Just let my Summilux-DG 25mm go to a good friend. I like the E-M1 a lot, but I haven't touched it other than to check something and answer a question or two since I bought the SL. (Not quite as bad as with the Nikon D750, which I didn't even take out of the bag until last week when I read that it might have yet another shutter recall. sigh.)

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Um, not going to happen. I'm in a culling mood: I'm slowly selling off most everything other than my Leica SL, Leica M, and Hasselblad kit. Just let my Summilux-DG 25mm go to a good friend. I like the E-M1 a lot, but I haven't touched it other than to check something and answer a question or two since I bought the SL. (Not quite as bad as with the Nikon D750, which I didn't even take out of the bag until last week when I read that it might have yet another shutter recall. sigh.)

G
Kind of understand!

Since I bought my XT2 I gave my EM1 with 2.8/12-60 to my daughter and the rest of my Oly gear was not used since almost 4 months.

Just missing 1 or 2 native lenses for the SL (most importantly a 100-400 equivalent, can also be with a native TC1.4) and if they happen to come I will most likely go the same route as you.

And also my Nikon I did not touch since a year or so ....

Godfrey

Kind of understand!

Since I bought my XT2 I gave my EM1 with 2.8/12-60 to my daughter and the rest of my Oly gear was not used since almost 4 months.

Just missing 1 or 2 native lenses for the SL (most importantly a 100-400 equivalent, can also be with a native TC1.4) and if they happen to come I will most likely go the same route as you.

And also my Nikon I did not touch since a year or so ....
Long lenses out in the 400mm+ equivalent FoV range I use so rarely that I don't mind adapting something specific for that purpose, but I would like more frequent use of something in the 250-300mm equivalent range. I've used the E-M1 + MMF-3 + 50-200 + EC-14 for this long lens stuff when I didn't want to carry the tripod, due to the IS and it's smaller size, and it might be worth keeping just for that rare use since it does it so very well.

But it might just be worth selling all of it off as well as my longer R lenses (135/2.8, 180/2.8, 250/4, 2x teleconverter) and heaving up the cash difference for the SL90-280. That might actually be worth having as it would inspire me to use the long end of the range more frequently due to the IS (and it's superlative performance). I still have a Nikon-mount 600 mirror lens for those rare, odd moments when I want something very long indeed...

But we're straying off the Olympus 25/1.2 pro lens discussion again.
Forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission... :rolleyes:

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Plenty pictures, but is there a conclusion to it ?
Is there any need for a conclusion other than the one you draw yourself after looking at the images?

Mine is pretty clear: All things considered, like price, weight, size, rendering, speed etc., the little PL will most likely do the job, but then, this is not my primary focal length. When it comes to 12 and 42.5 mm, I'll most probably invest more. But I'm tainted. I use Panasonic bodies exclusively now, and that's not likely to change soon, so Panasonic it is :)

Godfrey

Plenty pictures, but is there a conclusion to it ?
Not that I was able to find. Doesn't matter really: all three lenses seem to be premium quality, all three produce beautiful results. The Summilux-DG 25/1.4 ASPH-OIS is the smallest and lightest of the set, the other two are a bit large and heavy. In the end, I bet it comes down to what you're willing to carry.

Knorp

Is there any need for a conclusion other than the one you draw yourself after looking at the images?

Mine is pretty clear: All things considered, like price, weight, size, rendering, speed etc., the little PL will most likely do the job, but then, this is not my primary focal length. When it comes to 12 and 42.5 mm, I'll most probably invest more. But I'm tainted. I use Panasonic bodies exclusively now, and that's not likely to change soon, so Panasonic it is :)
Well, I like to learn from observations (and conclusions) made by others before I draw my own conclusion and eventually pull the proverbial trigger.
And I'm not ashamed to admit the price, obviously to a certain extent, is not holding me back.
As I've got (and had) plenty of lenses in the category XXL, the XS PL is absolutely very attractive, but I hope to read a fair review comparing the two 'contenders'.
Len's School review I found pretty neat and promised to include the PL somewhere next year ...

Knorp

Not that I was able to find. Doesn't matter really: all three lenses seem to be premium quality, all three produce beautiful results. The Summilux-DG 25/1.4 ASPH-OIS is the smallest and lightest of the set, the other two are a bit large and heavy. In the end, I bet it comes down to what you're willing to carry.
Ha! Not too much these days :)
But you buy this fast glass for its WO bokeh, no ?
I noticed my Oly's (12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8) can be a bit nervous at times.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
They can, and that is one of the reason why I'm changing to Pana 12-35 and 35-100mm f/2.8. The 25mm f/1.2 doesn't seem to have that problem, although I would like to see some photos taken with a more demanding background.

k-hawinkler

From the E-M1 Mark II Instruction Manual:

"Pro capture is available only with OLYMPUS Micro Four Thirds lenses."

Pro capture enables the camera (for up to 1 minute) to keep up to the last 14 sequential images taken in the buffer while half-pressing the shutter button. Then when fully pressing the shutter button these up to the last 14 images and all subsequently taken images get stored on the memory card.

To me this seems to be a very useful feature when trying for example to catch a bird in flight that takes off from a location typically much faster than a human reaction time as in this way one gets to keep up to the last 14 sequential images taken before one could react and fully press the shutter button.

For me this feature alone was worth getting the E-M1.2.
:grin: :thumbup: :facesmack:

Knorp

A wonderful feature indeed.
But what about the lens, K-H ... ;)

From the E-M1 Mark II Instruction Manual:

"Pro capture is available only with OLYMPUS Micro Four Thirds lenses."

Pro capture enables the camera (for up to 1 minute) to keep up to the last 14 sequential images taken in the buffer while half-pressing the shutter button. Then when fully pressing the shutter button these up to the last 14 images and all subsequently taken images get stored on the memory card.

To me this seems to be a very useful feature when trying for example to catch a bird in flight that takes off from a location typically much faster than a human reaction time as in this way one gets to keep up to the last 14 sequential images taken before one could react and fully press the shutter button.

For me this feature alone was worth getting the E-M1.2.
:grin: :thumbup: :facesmack:

Godfrey

Ha! Not too much these days :)
But you buy this fast glass for its WO bokeh, no ?
Actually, I buy fast lenses because I can stop them down one to two stops and STILL have a fast lens opening, usually with better bokeh. Almost every lens I have produces it's most beautiful out of focus signature at 1 to 1 1/2 stops down from wide open. Most of the time, wide open with an f/2, f/1.4, f/1.2, f/1 ... etc ... lens produces DoF which is too shallow to truly be useful. It's only when I get to lenses that are down around f/3.5-f/4 that I really find wide-open bokeh to be top notch.

I've also found that 'nervous bokeh' can happen with any lens: It's heavily dependent upon both focus distance and subject matter. This is another reason why I really love to shoot with adapted lenses on TTL-electronic viewfinder cameras: I can see the bokeh change as I turn the aperture ring with my subject already sharply focused in the viewfinder, and thereby pick the right aperture to use for best bokeh in a given situation.

If I were keeping on with Micro-FourThirds (and I still haven't brought myself to put the rest of my E-M1 kit on the market!), it would be a challenge to decide what lens to buy to replace the Summilux-DG 25. If I do, the Nokton 25/0.95 has intrigued me for a long time.. I might want to give it a go.

G