The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm probably not smart enough

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As some of you may have noticed, I'm living in a somewhat strained relationship with my E-M1. Luckily, there are mistresses around, and the GX8 and GM5 do a great job to satisfy my needs. I've been thinking about divorce of course, but the old Olympus does so well with the 4/3 lenses, and with legacy glass too. Unfortunately, we had a slight confrontation an hour ago, and I'm not sure that the wounds can be healed. Just listen to this:

I was going to do a short video, and since I didn't have a tripod at hand, I chose the camera that features IS during video, the E-M1. Since part of it was going to be relatively close up, I chose the OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 macro, an excellent lens on the E-M1. The E-M1 is of course not a very communicative camera, and while the GX8 will always ask about the focal length when I switch the camera on with a non-native lens, the Olympus excepts me to do a deep dive into the menus, finding IS, which isn't under the primary menus but somewhere down with the stuff that I don't use so often, hidden under "Release" for some reason that I fail to understand.

After that has been done, I'm ready to shoot, and since it's a manual focus lens (normally, and like most who shoot video for commercial use, I use manual focus for all video), I switch on the peaking to make focusing in the rather dark industrial environment easier. Except.... :angry: :angry: :angry: why doesn't peaking switch on?

Back to the office, Google search... E-M1, peaking, video... cannot do :wtf:

Ummm.... dearest Olympus. Peaking was, as far as I know, invented for video use. Video is the most important reason to have that feature on a camera. Having peaking that only works when shooting stills is like having a spare tire that automatically deflates when I have a puncture. Hadn't it been for the fact that the box and some other stuff is in another city, this camera creation of yours would have been on its way to a place where they sell stuff like this right now. That GH5 looks like an increasingly likely option.

I know there are many satisfied E-M1 users out there, and the Mark II will possibly be even more popular than the previous model (my pusher, who has the new wonder in stock, told me that when you set the time with the new one, you even have to set the seconds, just to get it all exactly right), but these things that I mention here (along with the lacking auto-ISO functionality) would have been simple firmware updates.

I'm about to give up.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yeah - give up on video and all your troubles are gone ... :p
What annoys me is that this is so close to being a really, really great camera, and then they install these annoying little limitations. It's not like these things haven't been solved by others, and Olympus didn't exactly start designing and manufacture cameras yesterday. Even when it comes to digital cameras, Olympus is one of the early pioneers. Having been an Olympus user for 40+ years, a happy user most of the time, it would be nice if they could outsmart a newcomer like Panasonic, but they don't, except when it comes to the number of features.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
After some reading in the user manual, I found out how to change the focal length of non-native lenses via the Super Menu. Much easier than the traditional menu of course, but here's another interesting fact: It's the first time ever that I've had to read a camera manual to figure out what is a very basic feature.

It's also possible to enlarge the view for more accurate focusing, but I can't see that there's an option for PiP. Does anybody know?