The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No 150mm

I have the Olympus 40-150mm f4-5.6. Very nice lens but unfortunately, the AF is not always accurate on my Panasonic bodies. The majority of the time it is but frustrating when it misfires (especially when I'm photographing wildlife.)

I also have a Canon FD 200mm f4 lens though Ive found the image quality a bit average for stills. I seem to get better results when I use this lens for video. So it's mostly become a video lens for me.

For years, I used a Vivitar 75-300mm f4-5.6 with my Canon AE1 and Canon T70 35mm SLRs (when I was shooting 100% on film.) I got some really nice results from that lens sharpness wise though I did notice a little vignetting in one image (despite the seller assuring me there wouldn't be any vignetting.)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One thing that is rarely or never mentioned is the extra "tele-macro" effect one gets for free when using adapted telephoto lenses on m4/3. Take my Samyang 135mm f/2 as an example: On a m4/3 camera, it gets the reach of a 270mm lens. Still the closest focusing distance is still 0.8 metres. In the example below, taken at f/2, I wasn't even at minimum distance. The full frame first, then a 100% crop. Yes, it's a sharp lens :)

G85 with Samyang 135mm f/2 @ f/2

Shallow DOF with m4/3? Yes, can do, even with this $500 lens ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
During "the good all days", before I again became a salary slave, I used to spend hours and days walking around in cities in Southeast Asia with my camera. Nowadays, that kind of luxury has become increasingly rare. While my friends start to retire, I find myself working at an increasing pace. Add to that being the more-or-less-single father of a 4 year old, and the days look pretty busy.

However, I had 90 minutes of time that wasn't booked in Manila this afternoon, and decided to take my new "not a 150mm", the Samyang 135mm f/2 for a spin with the equally new G85. Photos will be uploaded within a few days, but here's one to start it:

G85 with Samyang 135mm f/2 @ f/2

Please be aware that some of the photos will be cropped. Aperture is from memory, and may not be axact for all images.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That concludes the images that I've picked for posting on this thread. I have a couple of comments though:

I had a busy week in The Philippines, but had brought the 135mm with me to try out. Unfortunately, the only time I had left for testing were these 90 minutes around the block near the hotel before I had to catch a taxi to the airport. They resulted in 95 frames of which 11 are posted here. I mostly shot 2-3 frames of each motive, choosing the sharpest and/or best for this thread.

I've mostly experienced manual focusing for fast paced photography a challenge, particularly with moving subjects. The quality of the lens does matter though, and the Samyang lens is exceptionally easy to focus, particularly at f/2.8-4, where the sharpness, contrast and transitions between in focus and out of focus areas are at their maximums. Notice also that there is minimal to no CA, in spite of no manual corrections during post.

My copy is the F-mount version. It comes with an aperture ring with two clicks per stop and is fully computerised on Nikon bodies with complete EXIF information. At $500 this lens is an absolute steal, and my copy will see a lot of use both with m4/3 and Nikon bodies. My next testing will be with a Tamron 1.4x TC, making it a 190mm f/2.8.

I'll come back to a short review of the G85 here at the 4/3 forum. What I can say here and now is that it's an exceptional camera, and GH2 style body with most of the GH4 features and the some. At $900 it's a bargain, and I can safely say that I've hardly ever felt more comfortable with a camera body, including the very good and more expensive GX8. More later.

bensonga

I've been looking for a near mint, reasonably priced copy of this beauty for quite awhile (thanks to the bad influence of K-H and Bart). Missed out on one a couple months ago. With the EM1X in hand, I intensified my search and found one yesterday. The lens and a MMF-3 adapter will be on their way to Alaska today. Could be challenging to find the original Olympus lens hood for it (LH-89, if anyone sees it for sale), but in the meantime I'll use a screw-in B+W 82mm lens hood.

Gary

k-hawinkler

I've been looking for a near mint, reasonably priced copy of this beauty for quite awhile (thanks to the bad influence of K-H and Bart). Missed out on one a couple months ago. With the EM1X in hand, I intensified my search and found one yesterday. The lens and a MMF-3 adapter will be on their way to Alaska today. Could be challenging to find the original Olympus lens hood for it (LH-89, if anyone sees it for sale), but in the meantime I'll use a screw-in B+W 82mm lens hood.

Gary

Congratulations Gary enjoy.
I am curious how AF for both S and C performs on the E-M1X? TIA.

bensonga

I’ll let you know K-H when I actually have a chance to put the AF to a real test. My guess is that others will have done it long before me however.

Gary

k-hawinkler

I’ll let you know K-H when I actually have a chance to put the AF to a real test. My guess is that others will have done it long before me however.

Gary
Thanks Gary. I am primarily interested in bursts of 3 to 5 shots and see how much focus variation there is. There probably will be some variation due to the lens, shooting at f/2 and f/2.2 should be enlightening. Thanks again. :thumbup: