The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No 150mm

Knorp

Congratulations Gary enjoy.
I am curious how AF for both S and C performs on the E-M1X? TIA.
+1 IMO shooting the 'dated' 150/2 feels more rewarding than shooting the contemporary 300/4. You'll love it, Gary !

Kind regards.

Shashin

A 150mm f/2 is infinitely better than than a 300mm f/2, which don't exist. Actually, I am kind of jealous and shows a great advantage to m4/3 for a compact system.

The Fuji 200mm f/2 has caught my eye, but my wife caught the price tag...

(Fuji knows how to make good f/2 lenses...)

bensonga

A 150mm f/2 is infinitely better than than a 300mm f/2, which don't exist. Actually, I am kind of jealous and shows a great advantage to m4/3 for a compact system.

The Fuji 200mm f/2 has caught my eye, but my wife caught the price tag...

(Fuji knows how to make good f/2 lenses...)
I would love to have one of the XF 200/2 lenses too, but even I can't justify spending $5k for one. It's an impressive looking lens (at least from the photos, I've never seen one in person).

It would be nice if Olympus released an updated Little Tuna in a native mFT mount with faster AF and which could take full advantage of the AF tracking etc capabilities of the E-M1.2 and E-M1X. For comparison purposes with the photo above, when I get the 150/2 I'll mount it on the E-M1X and post a photo here.

Gary

Last edited:

Shashin

I would love to have one of the XF 200/2 lenses too, but even I can't justify spending $5k for one.
Yeah, that price thing is tough. But it has made one thing easier, I think I now prefer the Fuji 100-400...I was sitting on the fence before the announcement.

bensonga

Those here who know me will not be surprised that with the Oly 150/2 lens on the way, I started reading up on the Oly 4/3rds DSLRs. Years ago a good friend of mine was an early adopter of the Olympus FT cameras, first with a E-1 and later a E-5. In the early to mid-2000s, I was focused on building my Canon system and only thinking about one day having a FF DSLR, certainly not a camera with a sensor smaller than APS-C.

These days I am often interested in comparing the performance of a lens on a camera it was originally designed for, in addition to a more modern camera to which I can adapt the lens. With that in mind, a E-5 will be arriving here just a few days after the 150/2. I’ve never owned a FT camera, so with the 150/2 (and also a Oly 14-35/2) on the way, I figured it was about time.

Gary

Shashin

The Olympus FT were really nice. What I found difficult with DSLRs was the compromise on viewfinder size with smaller formats. I even find 35mm DSLR finders cramped--you have to have used a Pentax 645D finder to understand. ;)

bensonga

The Olympus FT were really nice. What I found difficult with DSLRs was the compromise on viewfinder size with smaller formats. I even find 35mm DSLR finders cramped--you have to have used a Pentax 645D finder to understand. ;)
I certainly do understand that Will. Hard to beat the experience of using a medium format camera with the larger optical viewfinder. While I haven't used my 645D in awhile (nor my other MF cameras), every now and then I pull out my Pentax 67 for the simple pleasure of looking thru the viewfinder. That experience is certainly one of the many reasons I have kept all of my medium format cameras, film and digital.

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Those here who know me will not be surprised that with the Oly 150/2 lens on the way, I started reading up on the Oly 4/3rds DSLRs. Years ago a good friend of mine was an early adopter of the Olympus FT cameras, first with a E-1 and later a E-5. In the early to mid-2000s, I was focused on building my Canon system and only thinking about one day having a FF DSLR, certainly not a camera with a sensor smaller than APS-C.

These days I am often interested in comparing the performance of a lens on a camera it was originally designed for, in addition to a more modern camera to which I can adapt the lens. With that in mind, a E-5 will be arriving here just a few days after the 150/2. I’ve never owned a FT camera, so with the 150/2 (and also a Oly 14-35/2) on the way, I figured it was about time.

Gary
That's the way to go :thumbup:
The E-1 was one of my first digital cameras, and when I look at the results I have no complaints. I never complained about the viewfinder either, and the one on the E-5 is larger plus it offers IBIS and much higher resolution. What's not to like?

bensonga

The Little Tuna finally arrived from Canada today. :clap:

It is indeed a solidly built lens and beautiful piece of glass.

The E-5 arrives tomorrow. :D

Now if I can just find something worth shooting here during our typically ugly spring "breakup" season.

Gary

k-hawinkler

The Little Tuna finally arrived from Canada today. :clap:

It is indeed a solidly built lens and beautiful piece of glass.

The E-5 arrives tomorrow. :D

Now if I can just find something worth shooting here during our typically ugly spring "breakup" season.

Gary

Congratulations!

2-shot panorama with E-M1.2 and Little Tuna, FT 150/2.0 SHG.

I know you will enjoy your gear, as I do mine. :clap:

bensonga

That is a beautiful photo K-H and the type I rarely think about taking with this sort of lens. I need to open my eyes, horizons and think of other ways (like yours) to use it besides for sports, wildlife, birds etc.

Gary

bensonga

The E-5 arrived today and I had a chance to mount the 150/2 on it. Light is fading, but I tested the speed and accuracy of the auto focus. I know that AF performance (speed, accuracy and silent operation) expectations from the latest cameras and lenses is very high now, but for me, based on my early impressions, auto focus performance for the combination of the E-5 and 150/2 appears to be 1) accurate (my number 1 criteria), 2) fast enough for most of my uses and 3) not silent, but certainly not "noisy" either.

I really like the build quality of both the E-5 and the 150/2. These are certainly two examples of the best the Olympus Four Thirds system had to offer. :thumbs:

Now to get out there and actually take some photos with this lens on the E-5 and E-M1X.

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

My first shot with the E-5 and 150/2 at very close to the minimum focusing distance under fading light and cloudy skies.

First impression...I like the colors this camera/lens produces and the detail was more than sufficient for the 11x14 inch print I just made. Sharp right out to the edges and corners of the image.

ISO 800, 1/100th at f4.

Last edited:

bensonga

Hi Jorgen. The E-5 arrived here late in the afternoon today and the lens was at home, so I only took a few shots this evening on the E-5 and none yet on the E-M1X. I should have more time in the next couple of days to try the lens out on both bodies and will report back on my impressions. I was actually waiting for the E-5 to arrive so I could try the Little Tuna on that camera first, before moving on to the E-M1X.

Gary

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Jorgen. The E-5 arrived here late in the afternoon today and the lens was at home, so I only took a few shots this evening on the E-5 and none yet on the E-M1X. I should have more time in the next couple of days to try the lens out on both bodies and will report back on my impressions. I was actually waiting for the E-5 to arrive so I could try the Little Tuna on that camera first, before moving on to the E-M1X.

Gary
I had the E5 when it was the actual Olympus model - some 9 years ago? It worked great although of course limited by it's 12MP sensor. AF was pretty fast and ok on this body for all my FT lenses (2/12-35 and 2/35-100). I never used my 2/150 on the E5, only on the E1 and on this camera it performed admirably.

Really interested how it works now on the EM1X though ... so please keep testing :thumbs: