The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which One for Backup or a Second Camera for weddings

rollsman44

I am looking for a backup or to use as a second camera at weddings. Olympus ( Model and zoom lens), Pentax DSLR ( Lens ?), I am not sure about Sony. I am not concerned about the weight of the camera just IQ and ISO Max 2500. I Shoot flash on a bracket and OCF as well. Any suggestions. Thanks

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I am looking for a backup or to use as a second camera at weddings. Olympus ( Model and zoom lens), Pentax DSLR ( Lens ?), I am not sure about Sony. I am not concerned about the weight of the camera just IQ and ISO Max 2500. I Shoot flash on a bracket and OCF as well. Any suggestions. Thanks
I assume you ask the question because you can't or won't buy a second copy of your main camera (which would be preferable). With m4/3, and if you can live with f/4, the E-M1 II and Zuiko 12-100mm f/4 would be hard to beat plus a fast prime for ambient light, like the Zuiko 25mm f/1.2 or PL 42.5mm f/1.2. If you can't live with f/4, the Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 is nice, and the Zuiko 14-35mm f/2.0 in 4/3 mount with adapter (full functionality on the E-M1) even nicer.

I'm not a Pentax user, but I assume that the K-1 would be the best Pentax for weddings. I would even go as far as saying that for this particular use, I would prefer it over any m4/3 camera unless weight is an issue. I don't have a clue about Pentax lenses though, except the fabulous 77mm f/1.8 :)

rollsman44

I am using the Sony A99 and CZ 24-70 2.8 Mark ll I don't want to spend more than I have to But I do appreciate your recommendations. Thanks

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I am using the Sony A99 and CZ 24-70 2.8 Mark ll I don't want to spend more than I have to But I do appreciate your recommendations. Thanks
Why don't you just buy a used A99 or A77 or even an A7 with adapter then? Operating two system has a lot of downsides, and the more components that can be shared, the better.

fotografz

Up to last year, I also used an A99 for weddings. For a while my back-up was a A900. This was less than ideal because the flash shoe on the A900 was the old Minolta version, so the cameras couldn't share speed-lights (the adapter was simply to rickety and unstable).

I have also shot weddings with an A7R-II as back-up. IMO and direct experience as well as other wedding shooters who switched to the Sony A series, this camera isn't a great wedding camera, although it does other stuff pretty well ... so it could be a choice using the Sony AF adapter made for A mount lenses. I still have an A-24-70/2.8 I keep for the occasional wedding.

I highly recommend getting a second A99.

- Marc