The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the trending aspect ratio

scott kirkpatrick

I've got a better example. Almost exactly the same aspect ratio as my last post, but by a better photographer ;) Count the number of broken composition rules in this masterpiece! (I'm sure an advanced course in composition would explain it well, but I never took one.)

--Matt
That's a great selection. More relaxed than "the steerage" or the steaming horses pulling trolleycars in the snow, which are the Stieglitzes I know best. I think the composition is very well thought-out. He uses the whole height of the frame, with the tree details placed about 1/3 in from the left side, balanced against the vague building outlines on the right hand third of the frame, so "Rule of Thirdsers" should be satisfied. And then there is a nice bit of stuff happening across the middle of the frame, from the tree base to the cars.

scott

Knorp

Would be interesting to seriously try and shoot in 16:9 portrait mode, until then landscape mode it is ...

f6cvalkyrie

I love vertical panos in the forest, it's the best way to render the impression of height of the huge trees ...
this one is almost 16/9 vertical

CU,
Rafael

Elderly

I probably shoot 95% of my shots in landscape format and I do like to do the final composition in the viewfinder, but this thread will make me reconsider my natural liking for 'landscape' :thumbup:.

Maybe I should buy a FF camera and then I can crop to my heart's content :loco:.

Knorp

Well, sometimes landscape is better, Ian ... :p
But even with the limited real estate of 43rd sensors a bit of cropping won't harm your image too much.

I probably shoot 95% of my shots in landscape format and I do like to do the final composition in the viewfinder, but this thread will make me reconsider my natural liking for 'landscape' :thumbup:.

Maybe I should buy a FF camera and then I can crop to my heart's content :loco:.

drofnad

According to the Olympus visionaries 16:9 is the way to go, or so I read somewhere ...
Ew, sounds worrisome! I'd rather the camera makers give a camera that gets all of the image circle (in non-crop'd mpx) and so lets the photographer choose the vision(s) --either at decisive moment or later.

As for 16:9, I think for me it was about 2nd of the main trio offered by multi-aspect LX3, but sometime later I gained an interest for square, and of recent shots (and PP crops), I think 16:9 diminished. (Also, oddly IMO, it's not a print size offered by an on-line printer I use; 2:1 is. (One further note re oddity of printer's sizing :: there were 21x27 & 22x28 --either side of but not the exactly 4:3 21x28" ! Huh?! (I opted for the well cheaper smaller size, and the LX3's image looks fine (all 10mpx of it). )

:)

Elderly

I'm quite enjoying this tall cropping business :p

bensonga

I'll have to give this a try. I could certainly use a "creative challenge" here in the dead of winter.

Years ago I picked up the book "New York Vertical" by Horst Hamann. All the B&W photos were shot with a Linhof 6x17 in vertical orientation of course. A city like NY is a perfect place to explore that format.

New York Vertical
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3823854739/

Alaska will be more of a challenge.

Gary

Elderly

Crikey - Ian, you're tall cropping doesn't fit my iPad !

:facesmack:
I had thought that 500 pixels wide would be okay Bart :rolleyes:
but I give you permission to crop the terracotta ridge tiles off from the bottom of the frame:angel:
I even think that it might improve the image :).

bensonga

...the book "New York Vertical" by Horst Hamann. All the B&W photos were shot with a Linhof 6x17 in vertical orientation of course. A city like NY is a perfect place to explore that format.
I just pulled my copy off the bookshelf and had another look at it. It is beautifully printed and for anyone who is interested in the urban environment or NYC in particular, I highly recommend this book. I just ordered another copy for a friend who lives in NYC. Be sure to get the larger size (13 inches long), not the smaller "portable" edition. I got a hard cover copy of the 1998 edition (same as the one I already own) in "Very Good but Like New" condition from a reputable seller for $1.80 + $3.99 shipping. A real bargain. This book is an inspiration for anyone looking to shoot in this pano/vertical format. I also really enjoyed the quotes about NYC across from each image. Hard to pick a favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/New-York-Vertical-Horst-Hamann/dp/3823803700/

I only wish I could find that kind of deal on a Linhof 617 or even a Fuji 617 camera!

Gary

scott kirkpatrick

How does one tell the "pocket edition" from the full sized one when ordering from the many 3rd party suppliers on Amazon. The "look inside" pages are pretty compelling.

scott

bensonga

How does one tell the "pocket edition" from the full sized one when ordering from the many 3rd party suppliers on Amazon. The "look inside" pages are pretty compelling.
scott
Hi Scott. Look for the product dimensions in the description of the individual book. The larger book is 13.1 inches long. The smaller book is 8.7 inches long.

The link I shared above is for the larger version, so if the sellers are correctly placing their offerings, all of those should be the large size.

If you search for "New York Vertical 1998" on Amazon you will see both versions listed separately.

Finally, the ISBN 10 and ISBN 13 numbers of the larger book end with 3700 and 3706.

Gary