The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the trending aspect ratio

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
But sometimes horizontal is better :)

Our flight home was canceled, so we spent the night in the Airport Marriott. I hate the sodium lamp color, so this was color balanced to 2000K. That makes everything else blue, but I love the effect. Leica Q, 5(?) panels. I had an even wider version, but the visual elements get lost.

--Matt

OK, here... :)

bensonga

I don't think shooting a 16:9 vertical with a normal focal length lens (in this case, the Oly 30mm macro) is as impressive as shooting with a wide angle, but the 30 was the widest lens I had with me at the office today. Resized to 800 pixels on the long side so you may not have to scroll to see the whole image. Image was quickly processed from a JPG, so I'm afraid the white snow at the base of the stone is blown out.

This is one of several vertically placed stones from Alaska at the entrance to BP Anchorage HQ building. This one might be jade, but I'm not a geologist. Had to catch it quick before the sun went down.

Gary

Oly EM1 and 30mm macro

Last edited:

Knorp

Used the Zuiko 7-14/4.0 and maximum keystone correction, but next time I'd like to bring a longer lens, like the 12-40 or 40-150.
Btw - I'm afraid there's no way you can compare the high rise of Old Amsterdam to that of New Amsterdam ... :eek:

bensonga

Just a personal thought about this thread/topic.

Any of us can easily crop or stitch images to whatever aspect ratio we like to in post.

What I found interesting about Bart starting this 16:9 aspect ratio thread was the idea of visualizing it, living within the constraints and dimensions of this format as the photo is being taken, just as a videographer would.

It is sort of like always visualizing and shooting in a square format or to an even great extent, B&W vs color.

So in that spirit, any photos I post here will have been shot natively in 16:9.

I set my Oly EM1 to the 16:9 aspect ratio today and I'll stick with it for a month to see where it leads me.

Gary

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Just a personal thought about this thread/topic.

Any of us can easily crop or stitch images to whatever aspect ratio we like to in post.

What I found interesting about Bart starting this 16:9 apect ratio was the idea of visualizing it and living within the constraits and dimensions of this format as the photo is being taken, just as a videographer would.

It is sort of like always visualizing and shooting in a square format or to an even great extent, B&W vs color.

So in that spirit, any photos I post here will have been shot natively in 16:9.

I set my Oly EM1 to the 16:9 aspect ratio today and I'll stick with it for a month to see where it leads me.

Gary
My last serious interest in film was with an XPan-2. It forced me to look at the world in terms of sequences across the frame or (on a construction site) vertically from floor to floor. Now to visualize a vertical pano is a less intuitive, more thought-out process. You have to decide where to stop each frame for good overlap, make sure nobody is in two frames, etc...

scott

scott kirkpatrick

OK, here's a 3:2 vertical (M8 with 35mm, probably a Summicron)

I could make it thinner, but I kinda like the junkyard (actually a bus parking lot) at the base.

scott

Knorp

16:9 sooc

Last in series, next session: other focal length and/or other objects.

scott kirkpatrick

C'mon Scott, just put a little effort into it and as Gary suggested try shooting 'native' 16:9 ... :salute:
That was an old one, taken with the M8. The scene has changed, so I'll stop up and try some more on the weekend when things are quiet. The Calatrava spire in white now looms over a piece of new light rail line under construction, plus a zillion busses. It would be interesting to put a nice 15 mm Ultrawide angle on my SL and set the framing either to square or to 16:19. Or the same with an M1 and 7-14.

scott

bensonga

No cropping required....there are times when the 16:9 native aspect ratio is just right. :)

Gary

Oly EM1.1, 30mm macro, 16:9 native aspect ratio

ColorEfex

SilverEfex

bensonga

Not quite up to New York Vertical standards....but for midtown Anchorage, this is a high rise building.

Gary

Oly EM1.1, 30mm macro, 16:9 native aspect ratio, SilverEfex