The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What are the most recent useable 4/3 camera bodies?

Irenaeus

I have three excellent 4/3 lenses and the lovely but small sensored Olympus e1 camera body. I'm eager to find out for myself if the Kodak 5MP CCD sensor in the E1 truly has its own special character and I'll also be looking at how large a print I could make with it.

IF, however, the E1 isn't still so special, OR if I can't discern or recognize whether it's actually there, OR if I can't print much above 5 x 7's, then I'll want to look at a more recent full 4/3 body. I believe the last of those offered by Olympus was their E5, but don't know what the last one by Panasonic would have been, or whether yet another marque ever got involved. I would prefer a weatherized body if possible, but a non-weatherized version wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker.

I do have the Olympus MMF3 adapter and could, of course, use that on a m4/3 body as a last resort.

The lenses I'll be using are the Olympus 11-22, the Olympus 50/2 and the Panaleica 14-50.

So, I know 4/3 bodies won't be so up to date, but would still like suggestions as to my best options.

Thanks to one and all and best wishes for finding exceptional light and for a fruitful New Year,

Irenaeus

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have three excellent 4/3 lenses and the lovely but small sensored Olympus e1 camera body. I'm eager to find out for myself if the Kodak 5MP CCD sensor in the E1 truly has its own special character and I'll also be looking at how large a print I could make with it.

IF, however, the E1 isn't still so special, OR if I can't discern or recognize whether it's actually there, OR if I can't print much above 5 x 7's, then I'll want to look at a more recent full 4/3 body. I believe the last of those offered by Olympus was their E5, but don't know what the last one by Panasonic would have been, or whether yet another marque ever got involved. I would prefer a weatherized body if possible, but a non-weatherized version wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker.

I do have the Olympus MMF3 adapter and could, of course, use that on a m4/3 body as a last resort.

The lenses I'll be using are the Olympus 11-22, the Olympus 50/2 and the Panaleica 14-50.

So, I know 4/3 bodies won't be so up to date, but would still like suggestions as to my best options.

Thanks to one and all and best wishes for finding exceptional light and for a fruitful New Year,

Irenaeus
Unless you insist on an optical viewfinder, a m4/3 body shouldn't be your last but your first resort. The ones that will offer good AF with your excellent lenses are the Olympus E-M1 and E-M1 II. A used E-M1 doesn't cost more than an E-5 used, and it's a better camera in most respects. The E-5 is probably better for AF-C plus it has a longer battery life. I also prefer the general ergonomics of the E-5, but people have different opinions about that.

As for Panasonic DSLR bodies, there were only two, the L1 and the L10. The L10 has a better sensor than the L1, but is generally a lower grade camera and the viewfinder is tiny. I have also used the PanaLeica 14-50 on Panasonic m4/3 bodies (GH2, GH3 and GX8) and AF is precise but slow. For moving subjects it's a no-go.

Photon42

Agreed. Used E-M1. Lovely camera. Still today. if money is no concern, maybe the new Mark II (which I do not know) is worth a look.

Irenaeus

Unless you insist on an optical viewfinder, a m4/3 body shouldn't be your last but your first resort. The ones that will offer good AF with your excellent lenses are the Olympus E-M1 and E-M1 II.... I have also used the PanaLeica 14-50 on Panasonic m4/3 bodies (GH2, GH3 and GX8) and AF is precise but slow. For moving subjects it's a no-go.
Thanks, Jorgen, for your your experienced council, and thank you, too, photon42, for backing him up. If the E1 fails to satisfy, I'll surely start looking at your suggestions. I also need to thank you VERY much for extolling the virtues of that Panaleica 14-50 lens, Jorgen. It's a beauty, and I don't think I'd have looked at it if I hadn't read your posts!

Peace & Blessing to you both and to us all in 2017,

Irenaeus

Godfrey

Irenaeus
All three of those lenses are top notch and work beautifully on the E-1 body. The Vario-Elmarit-D 14-50mm nets image stabilization on the E-1 body and so extends the range of the camera nicely too.

I still have my E-1 and 11-22 (as well as the 35 Macro and 50-200). I don't use it so much anymore, but just a couple of years ago I won two photo exhibition awards with photos I made using the E-1 printed to 20x24 inch size. While I normally don't print to such sizes, an old E-1 trick is to use image resizing software (Photoshop, Lightroom, or your favorite other...) to output the standard 1920x2560 image into 2715x3620 pixel images (approximately 10 Mpixel image size). That makes a near perfect 9x12 inch image area with 1 inch borders on 11x14 inch paper at 300 ppi. For big prints to hang on the wall and look at from typical viewing distance of 5 feet, drop printer resolution to 180 ppi and you have an image area 15x20 inches, which fits very nicely on 20x24 paper with a 2-2.5 inch border. Properly done, E-1 prints are just beautiful.

BTW: the latest generation of Lightroom has a raw rendering engine that instantly gives you clean ISO 1600 and very usable ISO 3200 with the E-1. It's almost miraculous what you can do with a 13 year old camera ... :)

But ... As others have said, the only two truly sensible options if you want to move into a more modern body are the E-5 or E-M1. I have had and used both extensively: I greatly prefer the E-M1 over the E-5. It simply works better in every way other than for CAF and sports subject tracking in sequences. And all three of your lenses work very well on it.

Good luck with the E-1, and any new body you pick to use with your lenses! It's all excellent equipment.

G

Irenaeus

I still have my E-1 and 11-22 (as well as the 35 Macro and 50-200). I don't use it so much anymore, but just a couple of years ago I won two photo exhibition awards with photos I made using the E-1 printed to 20x24 inch size. While I normally don't print to such sizes, an old E-1 trick is to use image resizing software (Photoshop, Lightroom, or your favorite other...) to output the standard 1920x2560 image into 2715x3620 pixel images (approximately 10 Mpixel image size). That makes a near perfect 9x12 inch image area with 1 inch borders on 11x14 inch paper at 300 ppi. For big prints to hang on the wall and look at from typical viewing distance of 5 feet, drop printer resolution to 180 ppi and you have an image area 15x20 inches, which fits very nicely on 20x24 paper with a 2-2.5 inch border. Properly done, E-1 prints are just beautiful.

BTW: the latest generation of Lightroom has a raw rendering engine that instantly gives you clean ISO 1600 and very usable ISO 3200 with the E-1. It's almost miraculous what you can do with a 13 year old camera ... :)

Thank you, Godfrey, this advice on post processing will be invaluable when I get to that point! (My apologies for not thanking you earlier—I've been out of commission for the past month and so have been delayed.) Thank you, too, for your encouraging personal experiences in using the E! I'm really looking forward to doing so more, myself.

In looking through my Lightroom library yesterday I came across some images from a cottage on Lake Michigan. “Look at those colors!” I thought to myself, “they must be from the E1”—and they were! I also found some images of a mountain ridge at sunset using the Panaleica 14-50 on a rented Panasonic GX8 which showed a remarkable dynamic range, so that option intrigues me, too (as would the hypothetical GX9.) Loved the built in tillable viewfinder, too, which really works for me.

So I've touched base with two quite plausible and interlocking outfits. There are constraints, however: the size and weight of the E1 for extended daily carry by myself and the question of whether the colors of one of the otherwise admirable m4/3 bodies could possibly match those from the E1 (or at least be made to integrate harmoniously with them without too much PP?)

At least this one inquiring mind would be grateful for any further counsel & advice!

Thanks again and best to all,

Irenaeus

k-hawinkler

Hi there. I have E-M1, E-M1markII, E-M5, and E-M5markII.
Unless you prefer the E-5, that I don't know anything about,
I recommend the E-M1markII. It's by far the best camera of the bunch.
C-AF focus with m4/3 lenses is pretty much instantaneous without hunting.
Certainly in good light. At this stage I wouldn't get an older camera model.
Also I have never adapted a 4/3 lens to these cameras. So don't about that.
Good luck.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
While I loved my E5 I would not recommend it anymore, this it at least 8 year old sensor technology and this sensor really had its limitations in lower light.

Choosing from what is available today I would hands down recommend the Olympus EM1.2, IMHO the best mirrorless camera available today.

An option might be the Panasonic GH5, but this one will only become available over the next months, so I cannot say anything real about it. It's specs are definitely impressive, but it is also a bit on the large side.

dpal

Upgrade to a GX85 w/ old 4/3 Leica lenses?

I have both the 4/3 Pana Leica 25mm1.4 and the 14-50mm 2.8-3.5 lenses. Thinking of getting the GX85 to use them with the DMW-MA1 adapter. I have a real old Olympus EP-2, but I like the EVF on the new GX85 with no anti alienating filter.
Worth the upgrade price of $595 +free 45 - 150mm lens offered by B&H?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Re: Upgrade to a GX85 w/ old 4/3 Leica lenses?

I have both the 4/3 Pana Leica 25mm1.4 and the 14-50mm 2.8-3.5 lenses. Thinking of getting the GX85 to use them with the DMW-MA1 adapter. I have a real old Olympus EP-2, but I like the EVF on the new GX85 with no anti alienating filter.
Worth the upgrade price of $595 +free 45 - 150mm lens offered by B&H?
$595 is more or less exactly what you would have to pay for a nice, used E-M1 body. The sensor of the GX85 is better, but AF with 4/3 lenses much slower. I have used the PL 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 extensively with the GH3. It was fine with subjects that didn't have any plans to move, but after I used it with the E-M1 for a while, the slow AF using the GX8 felt unacceptable. It might be acceptable to you of course, but remember that these are relatively heavy lenses which feels much better balanced on the big Olympus body, and this comes from a big Panasonic fanboy ;)

The Panasonic camera that I would consider for this use, except the expensive GH5, is the $900 G85. You'd still have slow AF, but the larger grip of that body makes it easier to use with the 4/3 lenses. The sensor and IBIS is the same as with the GX85, but you get a fully articulated LCD and SD card slot on the side.

dpal

Thank you Jurgen, for your expert advice. I'm looking at eBay now for a good e-m1 around $5-600.00. Just couple of questions, does the Olympus have anti alienating filter? And will my Panasonic adapter work with the Olympus?
I usually buy my camera new, would a used one last just as long? I have quite a collection of cameras, so it will be used occasionally. And one more question, both my 4/3 lenses are Panasonic. Would that impact the usability on the Olympus body?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you Jurgen, for your expert advice. I'm looking at eBay now for a good e-m1 around $5-600.00. Just couple of questions, does the Olympus have anti alienating filter? And will my Panasonic adapter work with the Olympus?
I usually buy my camera new, would a used one last just as long? I have quite a collection of cameras, so it will be used occasionally. And one more question, both my 4/3 lenses are Panasonic. Would that impact the usability on the Olympus body?
- As far as I know, the E-M1 has the AA filter. The image quality is still good, but not as good as the GX/G85. That's not something that I'd worry about though.
- The Panasonic adapter works with the Olympus. That's the one I used.
- The E-M1 is an extremely solidly built camera. If you buy one with a moderate click count (you can easily find bodies with less than 20,000), it will last "forever".
- The Panasonic lenses work very well, but the aperture ring won't. That feature only works on Panasonic bodies. Again, the PL 14-50mm was my favourite lens on the E-M1 and the reason why I might buy another E-M1 in the future unless Panasonic comes up with a phase detect focus solution on future bodies.

I write this in spite of being strongly in favour of Panasonic bodies, particularly when it comes to ergonomics. However, when it comes to 4/3 lenses, E-M1 (both models) are superior and very much so.