The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus EM1.2

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, it's confession time. I believe you still have your Fuji XT2. Which of the two, EM 1.2 or XT2, do you prefer and why?:cool::grin:
I must admit so far I do not have a real conclusion. Will take some more time ....

I do prefer the size advantage of the Olympus lenses and I am very accustomed to the Olympus overall as I used to shoot the EM1.1 almost exclusively over the past few years. The EM1.2 is again a much, Much, MUCH better camera than the Em1.1, so this adds on top of the familiarity facts. Plus the Pro lenses I am using from Olympus never ever disappointed me.

The XT2 and especially the 100-400 are a beast of a combo for wildlife and sports.

And I love the colors, and IQ coming out of this system. Handling wise both systems have their advantages and are for me at least pretty great useable. I would no longer switch from one system to the other, both are meanwhile great and matured to perfection. While the Fuji has a bit more of the classic controls I never missed these at my Olympus bodies. And the EM1.2 has a lot of features like Pro Capture that do come handy for certain action and wildlife shoots.

So for the moment I will stay with both systems, but if you ask my serious opinion, I simply like Olympus better than Fuji. Cannot say why in the end but this is the fact.

etrigan63

Has anyone had issues updating the E-M1.2 with Windows 10? I was able to update my pro lenses, but it failed immediately after downloading the firmware update for the camera claiming that it had disconnected.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Has anyone had issues updating the E-M1.2 with Windows 10? I was able to update my pro lenses, but it failed immediately after downloading the firmware update for the camera claiming that it had disconnected.
Not sure if this is the issue of an older Olympus Updater Version?

I had the same on my MacBook till I figured out there is a newer Olympus Updater and then it worked.

kuau

Workshop Member
I just purchased a new OMD EMll with a use 40-150/2.8 and 12-40/2.8 pro zoom lenses.
Have not received anything yet.
Peter can you comment on the handling when using the 40-150/2.8 pro lens on the OMD?
How does it feel? I did not order the external grip and was just wondering.
I am also thinking about getting the 300/4 lens also, though I wonder if the grip would be needed for that setup

Steven

Knorp

At the risk of speaking for my turn ... :rolleyes:
I'm operating my EM1.2 and 300/4.0 without the grip.
That lens is quite heavy and swinging the combo around only holding the camera didn't seem a good idea to me.
Anyway, the grip makes the camera heavier (plus $300 more expensive) and honestly, while I have the grip for my EM1.1, I'm not missing the grip on the EM1.2 (yet).
The EM1.2 has a beefier shape that grips perfectly for my (small-ish?) hands.
Of course as always - YMMV :grin:

k-hawinkler

Well, I use Power Battery Holder HLD-9 for E-M1 Mark II and Peak Design Clutch - so that I don't drop the darn thing. :thumbs: :facesmack: :LOL:
I simply don't like anything around my neck. :grin:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I just purchased a new OMD EMll with a use 40-150/2.8 and 12-40/2.8 pro zoom lenses.
Have not received anything yet.
Peter can you comment on the handling when using the 40-150/2.8 pro lens on the OMD?
How does it feel? I did not order the external grip and was just wondering.
I am also thinking about getting the 300/4 lens also, though I wonder if the grip would be needed for that setup

Steven
Steven,

sorry for late reply!

I am using the 2.8/40-150 very often on the EM1.1 and EM1.2. It is not very comfortable to hold without grip on the EM1.1, but absolutely useable without grip on the EM1.2. Having said that I meanwhile also added the power grip and in that combination this is more than perfect.

I think you also should get the 4/300, that seems to be a super lens - always liked it when I tried it. Will most definitely get one later this year.

Finally congratulations to your new equipment and have great fun!

Peter

monk

Great shot!

You seem to have an excellent copy of this lens, mine was never as sharp, at no focal length :loco:
Peter, thanks! I found mine used at Cathay Photo in Singapore. It's been a happy guy so far, with the stock Olympus MMF-3 adapter. I've scooped up several Zuiko 4/3 lenses, as they appear, to use on the EM1s. Outstanding, orphaned lenses that need a good home!

kuau

Workshop Member
At the risk of speaking for my turn ... :rolleyes:
I'm operating my EM1.2 and 300/4.0 without the grip.
That lens is quite heavy and swinging the combo around only holding the camera didn't seem a good idea to me.
Anyway, the grip makes the camera heavier (plus $300 more expensive) and honestly, while I have the grip for my EM1.1, I'm not missing the grip on the EM1.2 (yet).
The EM1.2 has a beefier shape that grips perfectly for my (small-ish?) hands.
Of course as always - YMMV :grin:
Bart,
I'm confused sorry. You had the grip on your em1.1 but you did not get it for your em1.2 and the handling is manageable with the 300/4?

Steven