The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus EM1.2

Knorp

Bart,
I'm confused sorry. You had the grip on your em1.1 but you did not get it for your em1.2 and the handling is manageable with the 300/4?

Steven
Correct, basically you're holding the lens not the camera !

Knorp

From Olympus FB Timeline: have to try it this weekend ... :)

The E-M1 Mark II allows you to assign power switching responsibilities to the function lever (where the AEL/AFL button is), so if you normally switch AF or burst shooting modes using the super control panel rather than the buttons on the left side of the camera, you can control all camera functions with your right hand, freeing up your left hand to concentrate on lens support and control. This comes in handy especially when shooting with a telephoto lens which generally requires more support.

To assign power switching to the function lever:
1) Press MENU
2) From the Custom Menu, go to B. Button/Dial/Lever
3) Select Fn Lever/Power Lever
4) Select either Power 1 or Power 2, depending on which position you want ON and OFF to be in
5) Press OK​

Keep in mind that when you assign power switching to the function lever, the power switch lever will not function.

Attachments

kuau

Workshop Member
From Olympus FB Timeline: have to try it this weekend ... :)
So I got my Em1ll couple of questions
Does anyone know of any online videos on how to configure the camera?
I realize it's totally customizable though a good starting point would be helpful

Onto lens choice I currently have the 40-150/2.8 and I purchased a refurbished 12-40/2.8 for $525 direct from Olympus
Not sure if it's worth the extra money to pop for the new 12-100/4 and return my 12-40/2.8

Any thoughts ?

Elderly

Onto lens choice I currently have the 40-150/2.8 and I purchased a refurbished 12-40/2.8 for $525 direct from Olympus
Not sure if it's worth the extra money to pop for the new 12-100/4 and return my 12-40/2.8

Any thoughts ?
That is SO very personal Steven.

With those two lenses you have everything covered from 12 to 150 @ f2.8.
If you shoot slowly and deliberately I feel there's little point in going for the extra reach
of the 12-100 (and you lose 1 stop).

But if you're like me - I spot something that will gone in a moment and want to capture it, then I've found the extra reach of
the 12-100 invaluable.

Of course there's always the new 12-60 f2.8/4.00 PanaLeica to consider :D.

Knorp

I realize it's totally customizable though a good starting point would be helpful

Any thoughts ?
Hi Steven, happy shooting with the EM1.2 !

Not sure if it is of any help but for a starter have a look here: Olympus OMD EM1 Mark II - Quick look at Menu settings and focus track (targeting) pad
Hopefully other members will provide better instruction videos.

The 12-40/2.8 and 40-150/2.8 make for a great 2-lens combo.
However, if speed is no issue the all new and excellent 12-100/4.0 is your walk around lens.

Difficult to advise here !

Kind regards.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

scott kirkpatrick

Any thoughts ?
I'm also getting back into M43, but I've only used the 5.2s for video recently and have an M1.2 and 12-100 coming that I will be able to work with in another month, so this is just my current plan, not current experience. The 12-100 has fantastic stabilization. With the M1.2, at its wide end, shots with exposure times of several seconds seem to be within reach. If that sounds interesting, then swap the 12-40 for the 12-100. For low light, I much prefer the 25/1.4 PanaLeica and the 75/1.8 Olympus, which are both awesome quality lenses, and the 12/1.8 and 45/1.8 are both pretty good, cheap, and very light. Don't go crazy customizing all the buttons on the camera, at least not until you learn how to save them when a firmware upgrade comes along... I use more than one make of camera, and I can't remember all that stuff, so I try to figure out how to do what I want with all the default settings. Incidentally, in the US there are $200 rebates available from Olympus when you are turning in older equipment.

good luck,

scott

mazor

Just got my E-M1.2 about a month ago. It may resemble the old E-M1, but the AF engine, response time, and overall handling is improved.. It feels like a totally different machine inside :)

What amazes me most is the IBIS which has improved substantially from the predecessor. I feel now I need not take my tripod as often and I find myself very confident shooting at lower ISO's for low light static subjects.

Handheld 1.3 seconds!

handheld 1 second

Shots are captured using Canon 10-22 ef-s lens adapted via speed booster ultra to E-M1 mk2

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The EM1.2 is indeed a totally different machine as the older model. It is so much more responsive and IMHO even the colors are better! I love that camera!

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Any thoughts ?
Sorry for late reply!

I would keep the 12-40, this is a spectacular lens and part of it is its fast aperture. This is really my workhorse lens for m43. I think the 12-100 would be a perfect one lens setup for light travel.

I am looking to get a 4/300 used, but that might take some time as not so much lenses of this type are out there yet.

mazor

Indeed. That being said the E-M1 was no slouch but I guess after being a current model for 3 years, the mk1 is showing it's age.

The new AF engine is very positive and really knows how to find eyes.

and captures Action with ease

mazor

Sorry for late reply!

I would keep the 12-40, this is a spectacular lens and part of it is its fast aperture. This is really my workhorse lens for m43. I think the 12-100 would be a perfect one lens setup for light travel.

I am looking to get a 4/300 used, but that might take some time as not so much lenses of this type are out there yet.
Another reason to keep the 12-40 is it is compatible with focus bracketing and focus stacking.

k-hawinkler

I updated last night all 3 devices with OV3 - no problem.
Camera settings can be saved and reloaded for the E-M1.2.
But I couldn't for the E-M5.2, so have to setup the E-M5.2 again. :facesmack:
This will have been the last time though as the new firmware allows now saving and restoring the settings for the E-M5.2 as well. :grin: :thumbup:

Last edited:

mazor

thanks k-hawinkler for sharing your experience updating the E-M1.2. I am feeling much more confident applying this update knowing my custom settings can be backed up and restored. :). There is just so many customization on this camera, it would be time consuming to have to enter manually all the settings into a cheat sheet and have to reapply.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Update worked really well, keeping all my settings.

Only problem was I had to buy a new USB cable as I managed to loose my original one - and this cable has a special connector on the camera side :banghead:

mazor

Update worked really well, keeping all my settings.

Only problem was I had to buy a new USB cable as I managed to loose my original one - and this cable has a special connector on the camera side :banghead:
Hmm just looked at my usb connection and the e-m1.2 uses a usb c connector. This new cable u bought should come in handy for future devices like phone s tablets etc.