The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus EM1.2

rweissman

The cable is the standard USB C that Apple uses and is available in many configurations at your local Apple Store, depending on what you're connecting it to.

mazor

Updated my e-m1.2 today via the usb C cable provided. Backup of mysets was easy and allows for mutiple backups 👍 Update and restore also was simple and easy.

So far I have not seen much difference between firmware versions, but it is good to know firmware updating can be hastle free.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The biggest difference for me is the much, Much, MUCH better color accuracy both of the EVF as well as the LCD screen. This is night and day for me!

Even better now than the Fuji XT2.

Bit off topic for this thread, but anyway: the longer I shoot the EM1.2 the more I find when using the XT2 as a step back. The EM1.2 is considerably faster and the mechanical shutter is much quieter as well. Is like stepping back into another time :cool:. If there would be an equivalent to the wonderful 100-400 from Fuji from Olympus, I would have completely switched back to the EM1.2.

scott kirkpatrick

Just got my Olympus EM1.2 and 12-100 OIS lens

Charged the battery, did the firmware upgrade for both camera and lens, and sallied forth to see what I got. I've been having a discussion on another forum about long exposures with the Leica SL and the 90-280 optically stabilized zoom. There I find that the ragged edge at full focal length (180 mm) for me is 0.3 seconds, where I can get a picture sharp at 100%, handheld, sitting, about 1 or 2 times out of 3. So here's the same sort of test with the E-M1.2 and lens at 100 mm (200 eff) exposures of 1 sec were sharp at 100% 3 out of four tries. Here's one:

P5160008 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr ISO 200 f/22@1 sec. Click through for full size.

The book on the left is a vintage Karl May "Winnetou and the Comanche Treason" (my wife got it as a teenager -- it's in Hebrew). The rest are less interesting.

scott

mazor

The biggest difference for me is the much, Much, MUCH better color accuracy both of the EVF as well as the LCD screen. This is night and day for me!

Even better now than the Fuji XT2.

Bit off topic for this thread, but anyway: the longer I shoot the EM1.2 the more I find when using the XT2 as a step back. The EM1.2 is considerably faster and the mechanical shutter is much quieter as well. Is like stepping back into another time :cool:. If there would be an equivalent to the wonderful 100-400 from Fuji from Olympus, I would have completely switched back to the EM1.2.

Good to know about the colour accuracy. I would imagine an equivalent lens similar to the 100-400 for the xt2 on the e-m1.2 would be the oly zuiko 50-200 with the 1.4x teleconverter attached and adapted using mmf3

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Good to know about the colour accuracy. I would imagine an equivalent lens similar to the 100-400 for the xt2 on the e-m1.2 would be the oly zuiko 50-200 with the 1.4x teleconverter attached and adapted using mmf3
I am looking (still waiting) for a native m43 lens. I am not going to use any adapted lenses.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Olympus EM1.2 for video -- amazing stabilization

I've been working at getting good video from the Leica SL, with some success, but with my preferred R lenses just holding the picture steady enough so that movement in the image dominates is a challenge, making a tripod seem essential. Well, one reason for getting the M1.2 is its awesome stabilization, and I have seen impressive "run and gun" videos made with it by skilled cameramen. So, I was at the Israel Museum yesterday to see Micha Bar-Am's pictures from 1967 and gave it a try while heading up to the exhibit. Here's a link to a hand-held clip about 40 sec long amid the crowd. I was just leaning against a half-wall holding an SLR-looking little camera up to my face, and no one noticed me.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_DOXbFeLaWiX3JzQXZoZXFuOUU

Unprepared, haven't even read the manual, I just turned the mode around to "movie camera." Just posting to show how incredibly smooth this is.

scott

ptomsu

Workshop Member
E-M1.2 + 50-200f2.8-3.5 SWD @ 200mm. :thumbup:
K-H,

this sound interesting - well one should never say never :banghead:

What adapter does this lens require for full focus support on the EM1.2? Can you use then all the AF points over the complete frame? And finally how fast is AF?

This would indeed give a perfect 100-400 equivalent.

k-hawinkler

K-H,
this sound interesting - well one should never say never :banghead:
What adapter does this lens require for full focus support on the EM1.2?
Thanks Peter. I am using the Olympus MMF-3 4/3 to µ4/3 adapter

Can you use then all the AF points over the complete frame?
Yes.

And finally how fast is AF?
This would indeed give a perfect 100-400 equivalent.
The lens on E-M1.2 does not focus hunt. One can easily shoot BIF.
I would say focus is quite fast, just a tad slower than µ4/3 lenses from Olympus.
My four 4/3 lenses 50-200/2.8-3.5 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 150/2.0, and 300/2.8 all focus with about the same snappy speed.
No problems encountered so far.
All my four 4/3 lenses can be used with the tele-converters EC-14 and EC-20.
They really work great, similarly to Leica's APO-Extender-R 1.4x and 2x, say on APO-R 280/4 that I have and use as well.

I bought EC-14 and EC-20 brand new from Asia at half price. They were indeed brand new.
Initially I was only interested in the three SHG tuna lenses.
But when Olympus dumped their 4/3 lenses at half price I decided to get the brand new HG 50-200/2.8-3.5 SWD as well.
I don't have any regrets as the four 4/3 lenses complement very nicely my complete set of Olympus µ4/3 PRO lenses.

YMMV. :grin:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter. I am using the Olympus MMF-3 4/3 to µ4/3 adapter

Yes.

The lens on E-M1.2 does not focus hunt. One can easily shoot BIF.
I would say focus is quite fast, just a tad slower than µ4/3 lenses from Olympus.
My four 4/3 lenses 50-200/2.8-3.5 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 150/2.0, and 300/2.8 all focus with about the same snappy speed.
No problems encountered so far.
All my four 4/3 lenses can be used with the tele-converters EC-14 and EC-20.
They really work great, similarly to Leica's APO-Extender-R 1.4x and 2x, say on APO-R 280/4 that I have and use as well.

I bought EC-14 and EC-20 brand new from Asia at half price. They were indeed brand new.
Initially I was only interested in the three SHG tuna lenses.
But when Olympus dumped their 4/3 lenses at half price I decided to get the brand new HG 50-200/2.8-3.5 SWD as well.
I don't have any regrets as the four 4/3 lenses complement very nicely my complete set of Olympus µ4/3 PRO lenses.

YMMV. :grin:
Many thanks for this info.

I might get one of the 50-200 SWD lenses.

Bestsellers regards ds

Peter

k-hawinkler

Many thanks for this info.
I might get one of the 50-200 SWD lenses.
Bestsellers regards ds
Peter
Good luck with that Peter.

Be aware though that in comparison to m4/3 lenses the 4/3 lenses are quite bulky and heavy. I shoot the 50-200 and 150/2 handheld, the other two on tripod. Adding the EC-14 is fine weight-wise.

Adding the EC-20 to the 150/2 for example makes the combination too heavy for me to shoot handheld for an extended period though. I am also using the power battery handgrip on the E-M1.2. :facesmack:

scott kirkpatrick

Good enough for Gov't work...

P5240194 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The sign says "opening in 2016" and it looks like they'll be ready to go this year sometime.

That's better than our airport, where the modern, enlarged "Terminal 2000" opened somewhere around 2005.

scott

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
whats wrong with the Oly 40-150/2.8 m43 + TC1.4 ?
Actually nothing wrong with that lens ....

I only would prefer a native m43 50-200 or 50-250 like Olympus Pro lens without the need of using the TC. The TC slightly decreases IQ in some situations, although hardly noticeable.

Last edited: