Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 362

Thread: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

  1. #101
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!




    Panasonic G1 + Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4
    ISO 800 @ f/2 @ 1/125 sec


    Comments always appreciated.

  2. #102
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!



    Panasonic G1 + Olympus G.Zuiko 40mm f/1.4
    ISO 100 @ f/2 @ 1/60 second



    Comments always appreciated.

    (A quickie lens test showing center and edge sharpness of this lens at f/1.4 to f/5.6 is available at .../gzuiko40-center-edge-tests.jpg)

  3. #103
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Thanks all. I've had the Nokton 40 f/1.4 in my sites. Didn't know the 2 Canons for LTM nor the Hexanon. Need to look into those.

    I do know Godfrey's Pen F lens. I've been admiring his work with it since he got it. As I understood it, he made an adaptor (beyond my skill) but he says there is an adaptor coming soon, so if I can find one, a possibility.
    Thank you, Diane!

    The G.Zuiko 40 is really quite sweet. The only problem is finding one and not paying too much for it. I paid too much for mine but I'm happy for it.

    My bodged together adapter is something anyone can do. It's simply a micro-FourThirds astronomical telescope mount from Hutech ($43) plus the lens-mount portion of a set of Olympus Pen F extension rings. The only issue, really, is finding the extension ring set ... when you can find them, they cost about $90-100.

    That said, both jinfinance and another vendor whose name escapes me says they'll be shipping Pen F to micro43 adapters right about now... :-)

  4. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Place, WA.
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    As Honey Rabbit once said, "Spring is here."

    DR 'cron. Lovin' this lens, Helen

  5. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    My G1 should arrive on Saturday. I am anxious to try my Hexanon 50 1.2 (M mount) with it. I think this should be a wonderful combination although the lens is heavy and may make for an unstable platform. However I expect the file quality to be superb. We shall see. I'll post results

    Woody

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Place, WA.
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    My G1 should arrive on Saturday. I am anxious to try my Hexanon 50 1.2 (M mount) with it. I think this should be a wonderful combination although the lens is heavy and may make for an unstable platform. However I expect the file quality to be superb. We shall see. I'll post results

    Woody

    I have a Minolta MC 58/1.2 converted to f-mount and it is very heavy but feels fine on the G1. I cradle the combo with the lens in my hand--not sure how much weight the G1 can handle. The DR 'cron has some heft to it, but feels great actually. Even though the 50's come out to be 100mm on the G1, I like the focal length and use it often, more often than any other lens I have.

    Enjoy and definitely share your results, especially wide open.

  7. #107
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
    I have a Minolta MC 58/1.2 converted to f-mount and it is very heavy but feels fine on the G1. I cradle the combo with the lens in my hand--not sure how much weight the G1 can handle. The DR 'cron has some heft to it, but feels great actually. Even though the 50's come out to be 100mm on the G1, I like the focal length and use it often, more often than any other lens I have.

    Enjoy and definitely share your results, especially wide open.
    Kind of a side note but reacting to your sentiment above:

    Although I cannot find the reference at present, I recall that I read in some Panasonic document or another that the recommended maximum weight lens you should use on the G1 when mounted via the tripod mounting screw on the body should be no more than 1 Kg (2.2 lbs).

    This isn't an issue, of course, when you're hand-holding and supporting the camera/lens assembly by the lens, or for a lens mounted on a tripod with its own tripod mounting foot or fixture.

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Sitting on the ground on the other side of the picket fence in the afternoon sun shooting a macro of a fiddlehead, I noticed this and pulled out the FD 50 f/1.8--shot at f/2.8==I tried several--open, stopped down, etc., but liked this softer feeling with the sun through the Japanese Maples.



    Diane

  9. #109
    Senior Member Per Ofverbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    ...
    Although I cannot find the reference at present, I recall that I read in some Panasonic document or another that the recommended maximum weight lens you should use on the G1 when mounted via the tripod mounting screw on the body should be no more than 1 Kg (2.2 lbs).
    ...
    That sounds quite a lot to me... The length of the lens must be just as important as the weight, too, since a longer lens means larger torque on the mount.

    My own seat-of-the-pants feeling is that my AF MicroNikkor 60/2.8 on its adapter is close to the maximum I feel comfortable hanging on the G1. But then, I seldom use a tripod (regrettably...).

    The first 2 images here are with the 60/2.8, and the third with my ancient uncoated Summar 2/50, all wide open and handheld.

  10. #110
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Sitting on the ground on the other side of the picket fence in the afternoon sun shooting a macro of a fiddlehead, I noticed this and pulled out the FD 50 f/1.8--shot at f/2.8==I tried several--open, stopped down, etc., but liked this softer feeling with the sun through the Japanese Maples.
    http://upload.pbase.com/image/111131323.jpg
    That's very nice!

  11. #111
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    That sounds quite a lot to me... The length of the lens must be just as important as the weight, too, since a longer lens means larger torque on the mount.

    My own seat-of-the-pants feeling is that my AF MicroNikkor 60/2.8 on its adapter is close to the maximum I feel comfortable hanging on the G1. But then, I seldom use a tripod (regrettably...). ...
    I agree, it seems like a lot to me too. But I know the 1 lb or so that the Summilux-D 50/1.4 weighs works without issue.

    Nice photos! That old Leica lens produces a lovely feel to the image. :-)

  12. #112
    Senior Member Per Ofverbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I agree, it seems like a lot to me too. But I know the 1 lb or so that the Summilux-D 50/1.4 weighs works without issue.

    Nice photos! That old Leica lens produces a lovely feel to the image. :-)
    Thank you, Godfrey! Being able to shoot old glass is one of the nice things with the G1. My old M Summicron 35 was a disappointment, but 50 and 90 work well, and my three R lenses too (even 35 mm).

  13. #113
    Senior Member deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    from G1 with Summilux ASPH 50/1.4



    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!



    G1 | Canon FD 50mm f/1.4

  15. #115
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Here are some shots with Kern Macro-Switar 50mm f1.4 C-Mount.
    Sharp and nice bokeh, i think. Covers sensor. All at f1.4 or f2.0 some at ISO 400.

    You have to be careful as I tried few of them and here is what I have found:
    Switar 50mm AR - needs machining.
    Switar 50mm RX - focusing ring is too close to adapter.
    Macro-Switar 50mm - ding, ding, ding, BINGO...

    Kern-paillards are are amazing. (in particular 26mm f1.1, 50mm f1.4 Macro and 75mm f1.9)

  16. #116
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    I need some clarification. I just got my G1 and have been using the kit lenses on it. Now I am ready to use some of my M glass using John Milich's adapters. I thought I had read on these threads that the focus magnifier worked with alternate lenses i.e. when you rotate the focus ring on the lenses you automatically went into the 5X magnifier mode. On the two lenses I tried the 5X mag was not enabled by either. As I think about it more, since there is no electrical connection from the lens to the G1 body is doesn't seem likely that the camera knows that any focus action is taking place therefore the magnifier is not activated.

    Could someone clue me in as to whether or not the focus magnifier works with alternate lenses? If not it is very disappointing as critical focus with lenses like the Nocti or the Hexanon 1.2 is part of why I bought the G1

    Regardless let me know the real scoop here.

    Thanks

    Woody

  17. #117
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Put the focus dial on manual (left top of camera) (actually this is probably not necessary)

    Press left arrow, then center button, to activate focus assist. Rotate the front wheel to step to higher mag.

    After left arrow is pressed, the focus square can be moved to the desired location using the arrow keys; press center button to magnify.

    Press shutter button halfway to go back to normal view.

  18. #118
    robertasumendi
    Guest

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    I need some clarification. I just got my G1 and have been using the kit lenses on it. Now I am ready to use some of my M glass using John Milich's adapters. I thought I had read on these threads that the focus magnifier worked with alternate lenses i.e. when you rotate the focus ring on the lenses you automatically went into the 5X magnifier mode. On the two lenses I tried the 5X mag was not enabled by either. As I think about it more, since there is no electrical connection from the lens to the G1 body is doesn't seem likely that the camera knows that any focus action is taking place therefore the magnifier is not activated.

    Could someone clue me in as to whether or not the focus magnifier works with alternate lenses? If not it is very disappointing as critical focus with lenses like the Nocti or the Hexanon 1.2 is part of why I bought the G1

    Regardless let me know the real scoop here.

    Thanks

    Woody
    Monza's method is the only way, so there's no "automatic" mode... like you say, there is no electronic connection. We're all also hoping that Panasonic upgrades the firmware to include a custom function for magnification on shutter half-press.

    After spending a couple months with the G1 and 50/1.4 I find critical focus is pretty easy and natural to achieve in most situations. Keep in mind that 4/3 has two stops more depth of field for any given aperture, so critical focus is easier anyhow.

  19. #119
    Ranger 9
    Guest

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by robertasumendi View Post
    After spending a couple months with the G1 and 50/1.4 I find critical focus is pretty easy and natural to achieve in most situations.
    I second Robert's comment; I find I seldom need to use the two-button focus magnification except for close-up shooting.

    Tip: Make sure you set the eye-level finder's diopter control very accurately for your vision. When the finder image is perfectly sharp, it's easier to distinguish between in-focus and not-quite-in-focus images without resorting to magnification.

  20. #120
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by robertasumendi View Post
    Keep in mind that 4/3 has two stops more depth of field for any given aperture, so critical focus is easier anyhow.
    I am new to FourThirds and G1. I know a 25mm on 35mm is effectively a 50mm on a mFT. Can you expand on the "two stops more DOF" please.

    thanks
    Ekso

  21. #121
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by ekso View Post
    I am new to FourThirds and G1. I know a 25mm on 35mm is effectively a 50mm on a mFT. Can you expand on the "two stops more DOF" please.
    Hi ekso,

    Imagine a situation where you and a friend having a FF camera are standing side by side taking images of something. You use a 25mm lens and your friend has a 50mm lens so you are now framing the target (approx) the same way.

    Let's say you find you need f/4 to get the DOF you think is the right for this image. If your friend now wants the same DOF he/she has to stop down to f/8. In other words, you get quite some DOF already at f/4 and focusing is less critical than it would be with the FF camera.

    OTOH, if your friend figure f/2 would make for the right separation you would have to open up to f/1 to achieve the same result.

    I hope that helps. (If you want to discuss it further I think you should start a new thread on the topic.) regards, /Jonas

  22. #122
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    I second Robert's comment; I find I seldom need to use the two-button focus magnification except for close-up shooting.

    Tip: Make sure you set the eye-level finder's diopter control very accurately for your vision. When the finder image is perfectly sharp, it's easier to distinguish between in-focus and not-quite-in-focus images without resorting to magnification.
    I also didn't notice anyone mentioning that one must set 'shoot w/o lens' in the menu--perhaps that's a 'given' and didn't need to be mentioned, but in case.....

    I also find that I now can usually focus in many cases without using the MF assist. I checked myself on a number of occasions (focusing first without, then checking with MF assist) and found I was pretty spot on. For close up, I use MF assist.

    Diane

  23. #123
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Thanks Monza and Ranger 9 for the tip on using the focus assist. I am sure I will get much better images as a result of this

    Woody

  24. #124
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Hi ekso,

    Imagine a situation where you and a friend having a FF camera are standing side by side taking images of something. You use a 25mm lens and your friend has a 50mm lens so you are now framing the target (approx) the same way.

    Let's say you find you need f/4 to get the DOF you think is the right for this image. If your friend now wants the same DOF he/she has to stop down to f/8. In other words, you get quite some DOF already at f/4 and focusing is less critical than it would be with the FF camera.

    OTOH, if your friend figure f/2 would make for the right separation you would have to open up to f/1 to achieve the same result.

    I hope that helps. (If you want to discuss it further I think you should start a new thread on the topic.) regards, /Jonas
    Jonas, thanks for the info. Any more and you are correct...it will need a new thread.
    Ekso

  25. #125
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Some from the FD 50 f/1.8 today









    I'm about done with flora for awhile I think.

    Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 15th April 2009 at 19:21.

  26. #126
    Domi31
    Guest

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Magnificent, Diane !

    The third particularly, we would say a painting!
    I also use my FD 50 f 1:8, but I did not arrive at a so beautiful result yet!

    Sorry for my bad English....

  27. #127
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Some from the FD 50 f/1.8 today
    (images)
    I'm about done with flora for awhile I think.
    Hmm. OK, no more flowers then. The ones you showed here are great and I like the composition and thinking behind the images.
    But, the bokeh is outright distracting to my sensitive organism. Do you find it to your liking?

  28. #128
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Jonas, its less smooth than I'd like but mostly in the 3rd which I like for other reasons. This would be closer to what I'd prefer (maybe even more blurring than this)---done with selection and lens blur filter in PS (altho' I didn't take the time to use a gradient on the blur so the tulips looked 'pasted in' because the focal plane of the focused tulip--of the violas--became 'blurred' also-)


    Perhaps the Hexanon 40 f/1.8 will have bokeh more to my liking in circumstances like this very busy background with very striking color contrasts--or maybe I would have gotten a smoother BG with it wide open--but it was a compromise--I did want a bit more DOF for the tulips and think I shot it about f/2.8--might even have been f/3.2. The others don't bother me much.

    Thinking about it, I remembered I had a similar one to the 4th that I knew was wide open at f/1.8. The one above is probably at 2.8 (again, possibly even 3.2--I probably should keep a little notebook to write these down but often shoot same/similar at various apertures and focus points)--about a stop and a half. Maybe this is a better representation of the lens.


    The compromise with this lens seems a bit difficult--it can be more or less reconciled with post processing, but for straight shooting one will have to consider a bit more DOF vs. (in some situations) perhaps a distracting bokeh.

    I need to go back and find those 50 f/1.4 wide open shots of others--I looked at my 5D/50 f/1.4 but I almost never shoot it wide open but rather around f/2.8 because of its very very shallow DOF with FF.

    Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 16th April 2009 at 06:35.

  29. #129
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Nice flowers Diane.

    I need to get out too and take some shots with my new toys Cooke Ivotal 50mm f1.4 and Nokton 50mm f1.5. (pics soon)

  30. #130
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Jonas, its less smooth than I'd like but mostly in the 3rd which I like for other reasons. (...)
    Perhaps the Hexanon 40 f/1.8 will have bokeh more to my liking in circumstances like this very busy background with very striking color contrasts--or maybe I would have gotten a smoother BG with it wide open--but it was a compromise--I did want a bit more DOF for the tulips and think I shot it about f/2.8--might even have been f/3.2. The others don't bother me much.

    (...) Maybe this is a better representation of the lens.


    The compromise with this lens seems a bit difficult--it can be more or less reconciled with post processing, but for straight shooting one will have to consider a bit more DOF vs. (in some situations) perhaps a distracting bokeh.
    Hi Diane, and thank you for the thorough reply.

    Since some time I have sort of maintained a thread called "'Admirable' blur" over at FM Forums (Alternative gear forum) and I have slowly learned that there are quite some who really like the edgy and harsh bokeh from some lenses. I'm a lot more in favour for soft and creamy.

    If it hadn't been the total opposite of what I think the µ4/3 should be I would by a Sigma 50/1.4 EX for my G1:

    and

    (Yes, I know, I took them using a Canon camera, sorry.)

    The "better representation" image is totally crazy (to me)! I don't dislike it at all. But, to be honest, when I first looked at it I was impressed by the background and thought that was the wild and sketchy target. Then I saw the in focus flowers a bit down.

    The Hexanon 40/1.8 is unknown to me but I think I have seen quite nice images taken with it.

    I'm also looking forward to photomorgana's images. The CV50/1.5 is a 50mm lens I'm interested in but I would like to see more from it, and how it draws complicated backgrounds. I think your colorful flowers is a tricky situation for most lenses.

    Cheers, /Jonas

  31. #131
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Jonas,
    that is very impressive bokeh. I like creamy as well.

  32. #132
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Wide Open CV50/1.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    The CV50/1.5 is a 50mm lens I'm interested in but I would like to see more from it, and how it draws complicated backgrounds.
    Your wish is my command. Just taken these five in my garden. All at f/1.5 hand held, RAW processed in CS4 at Default parameters then converted to 8 Bit and sized down to jpegs for here.

  33. #133
    wblynch
    Guest

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    There is a sort of "Monet-ish" quality in the bokeh of this one. I like it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Some from the FD 50 f/1.8 today


  34. #134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    There is a sort of "Monet-ish" quality in the bokeh of this one. I like it.
    Thanks, that's rather as I saw it (live view) when I was shooting at the botanical garden--though I didn't articulate it to myself in just that way LOL. Its a color combination I like a lot also.

    Diane

  35. #135
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Just today saw these little beauties is my garden. The light was just right to catch them with my Canon FD 50mm f/1.4


  36. #136
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wide Open CV50/1.5

    Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Your wish is my command. Just taken these five in my garden. All at f/1.5 hand held, RAW processed in CS4 at Default parameters then converted to 8 Bit and sized down to jpegs for here.
    Thanks a lot! Just as most other fast lenses it's a mixed bag judging from these images. But, they are the best I have seen from anything in my price range. Most of the images you have posted here have a great balance between details in the focal plane and the rendering of the background. That's how my eyes work.

    The bright rings and hard edges seen at some places are in no way a show stopper. Together with the images ranger9 posted earlier I think this does it.

    Thanks again, /Jonas

  37. #137
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Here are a few shots with Cooke Ivotal Anastigmat 50mm f1.4 C-Mount.
    I like it, I think I know now why this lens gets converted to Leica M-Mount.
    Shot #3 is at f8 the rest at f1.4

  38. #138
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Here are similar shots with Kern Macro-Switar 50mm f1.4
    Disregard the sharpness, the wind was very strong, so focus is off on some of them, but bokeh still can be judged.
    Shot #3 at f8 the rest at f1.4

  39. #139
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Here are some with Voigtlandar Nokton 50mm f1.5
    Shot #3 at f8 the rest at f2
    I think its not bad of a bokeh.

  40. #140
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    These are samples for Summicron 40mm f2.0 (almost 50
    pics 3 and 5 shot at f8 the rest at f2
    Im not very happy how bokeh looks in difficult background situations.
    But f8 is pretty good I think.

  41. #141
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: Wide Open CV50/1.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    .
    The bright rings and hard edges seen at some places are in no way a show stopper. Together with the images ranger9 posted earlier I think this does it.
    Thanks again, /Jonas
    You're welcome. In my opinion this lens also fits beautifully on the G1, it's a weighty little piece of glass but well balanced and exquisitely made with a delicious 10 blade diaphragm which has precise half-stop clicking from f/2 onwards and a smooth focus mechanism. On top of that it's a 100mm f/1.5! Did I say I liked it?

  42. #142
    Senior Member back alley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the frozen north
    Posts
    428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!





    zm 50/1.5 sonnar

  43. #143
    Ranger 9
    Guest

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Brief reminder about bokeh: All other things being equal, you can't have "smooth" bokeh both in front of and behind the focus plane; you can have "edgy" bokeh in front and "smooth" bokeh behind, or vice-versa, but not both.

    [Don't believe me? Read Section 2 of this; mind you, the guy who wrote it is merely a lens designer for Nikon, so you can't expect him to know as much as the experts who post on Internet photo forums ;-) ]

    Anyway, having the smooth bokeh behind the subject makes more sense for carefully-composed flower pictures, portraits, etc., where you probably want to subdue distracting backgrounds.

    But for documentary-style shooting, where it may be impossible to avoid having objects between the camera and the subject, it actually may make more sense to have the smooth bokeh in the front -- where it can help make these intruding objects less distracting.

    So, how the lens is designed with regard to "bokeh distribution" may depend in part on the designer's assumptions on how the lens will be used!

  44. #144
    Senior Member endre novak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    G1 & Cron 50
    Endre
    _____________________
    www.endrenovak.com

  45. #145
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Brief reminder about bokeh: All other things being equal, you can't have "smooth" bokeh both in front of and behind the focus plane; you can have "edgy" bokeh in front and "smooth" bokeh behind, or vice-versa, but not both.

    [Don't believe me? Read Section 2 of this; mind you, the guy who wrote it is merely a lens designer for Nikon, so you can't expect him to know as much as the experts who post on Internet photo forums ;-) ]

    Anyway, having the smooth bokeh behind the subject makes more sense for carefully-composed flower pictures, portraits, etc., where you probably want to subdue distracting backgrounds.

    But for documentary-style shooting, where it may be impossible to avoid having objects between the camera and the subject, it actually may make more sense to have the smooth bokeh in the front -- where it can help make these intruding objects less distracting.

    So, how the lens is designed with regard to "bokeh distribution" may depend in part on the designer's assumptions on how the lens will be used!

    I think Switars have the best front and back bokeh. Also Leica 90mm-Cron.

  46. #146
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    I take the risk of sounding very stupid, what's Cron ???

    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

  47. #147
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Endre

    That is a very nice natural portrait .
    Thanks for showing . I will try to do something similar with my KONICA HEXAR 2,8/50 .

    I think cron stands for SUMMICRON (Leica Lens)

    Jürgen

  48. #148
    Senior Member endre novak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Endre

    That is a very nice natural portrait .
    Thanks for showing . I will try to do something similar with my KONICA HEXAR 2,8/50 .

    I think cron stands for SUMMICRON (Leica Lens)

    Jürgen
    Thanks Jürgen. Appreciate your feedback!
    Indeed, 50mm f2 Leitz. Not the fastest but a superb performing lens both on M8 being (60+mm effective) and on the G1 (effective 100mm short tele)
    And in b/w I find it amazing, although I am not able to do the beautiful conversions some folks show on this site :-(
    cheers,-
    Endre
    _____________________
    www.endrenovak.com

  49. #149
    Senior Member endre novak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    I take the risk of sounding very stupid, what's Cron ???

    Rafael
    don't worry, Leicaland is a world full of slang (like most)

    Noctilux = f/0.95-f/1.2,
    Summilux = f/1.4,
    Summicron = f/2,
    Summarit = f/2.5,
    Elmarit = f/2.8,
    Elmar = f/3.5-f/4.

    but

    Noct, Lux and Cron are referred as short forms for Noctilux, Summilux and Summicron, respectively. Thus, 50 Cron uniquely identifies Summicron-M 50mm f/2 irrespective the date of manufacture, although for every lens there are countless (sub)versions. just too long history :-)

    cheers,-
    Endre
    _____________________
    www.endrenovak.com

  50. #150
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

    Really interesting to me. Seems reasonable--but hadn't read that before.

    Diane


    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Brief reminder about bokeh: All other things being equal, you can't have "smooth" bokeh both in front of and behind the focus plane; you can have "edgy" bokeh in front and "smooth" bokeh behind, or vice-versa, but not both.

    [Don't believe me? Read Section 2 of this; mind you, the guy who wrote it is merely a lens designer for Nikon, so you can't expect him to know as much as the experts who post on Internet photo forums ;-) ]

    Anyway, having the smooth bokeh behind the subject makes more sense for carefully-composed flower pictures, portraits, etc., where you probably want to subdue distracting backgrounds.

    But for documentary-style shooting, where it may be impossible to avoid having objects between the camera and the subject, it actually may make more sense to have the smooth bokeh in the front -- where it can help make these intruding objects less distracting.

    So, how the lens is designed with regard to "bokeh distribution" may depend in part on the designer's assumptions on how the lens will be used!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •