The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which shutter is best to use with E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

Knorp

To answer one of your other questions:

EM1.2 + MC-14 (µ43rd) -> fw: body only
EM1.2 + MC-14 (µ43rd) + lens (µ43rd) -> fw: body + lens

EM1.2 + MMF-3 -> fw: body only
EM1.2 + MMF-3 + EC-14 (43rd) -> fw: body + acc
EM1.2 + MMF-3 + EC-14 (43rd) + lens (43rd) -> fw: body + lens + acc

k-hawinkler

Hi there K-H,

indeed, I posted that at first but then I realised that my EC-14 (43rd) adapter might be the accessory popping up in the menu and deleted that post.
But I can confirm right now that it was the EC-14, so without it the menu shows only camera and lens firmware versions. Sorry for causing any confusion ... :eek:
I guess the MMF-3 is just a dumb adapter, only routing the signals between lens and camera and will not show up in the menu.

The MC-14 (µ43rd) can be used with the R-to-m43 adapter as it fits into the adapter perfectly.
If I remember well it was with my R350/4.8

You got me puzzled, but I'd say this is the logical order; first - attach the MMF-3 to your camera, second - attach the EC-14 to the MMF-3, third - attach your 43rd lens to the EC-14, right ?
Both adapters read Olympus and while the EC-14 has the same surface texture as my 43rd-lenses, the MMF-3 has a matt black smooth surface

Kind regards.
Many thanks Bart. That clears up a lot.

Also when you wrote previously 1.4MC you really meant the EC-14 (43rd) teleconverter.
However with MC-14 I was referring to the µ4/3 1.4x teleconverter.

So, in order to use a teleconverter with the 150/2 lens one has to use the EC-14 or the EC-20, correct?
My MC-14 only works with the µ4/3 40-150/2.8 Pro and 300/4 Pro lenses, but not at the camera end of the MMF-3 it seems.

Last question: Is the EC-14 or EC-20 worth getting?

Thanks again Bart, I believe we got this straightened out.

Now to a related topic, do you also experience more focusing variability with Silent low when using C-AF rather than S-AF with your E-M1.2? I certainly seem to. :facesmack:
Of course S-AF works only with stationary subjects I would think.

Here is a picture of the folks watching the deer. :ROTFL:

E-M1.2 + 150/2 @ f/2. :grin:

:worthless:

k-hawinkler

To answer one of your other questions:

EM1.2 + MC-14 (µ43rd) -> fw: body only
EM1.2 + MC-14 (µ43rd) + lens (µ43rd) -> fw: body + lens

EM1.2 + MMF-3 -> fw: body only
EM1.2 + MMF-3 + EC-14 (43rd) -> fw: body + acc
EM1.2 + MMF-3 + EC-14 (43rd) + lens (43rd) -> fw: body + lens + acc

Thanks Bart. By golly we figured it out. :ROTFL: :LOL: :ROTFL: :thumbs:

Knorp

Many thanks Bart. That clears up a lot.

Also when you wrote previously 1.4MC you really meant the EC-14 (43rd) teleconverter.
However with MC-14 I was referring to the µ4/3 1.4x teleconverter.
Yup, it's a 1.4x Tele-Converter that's coded EC-14 (43rd) or MC-14 (µ43rd) ... easy peasy :rolleyes:

So, in order to use a teleconverter with the 150/2 lens one has to use the EC-14 or the EC-20, correct?
My MC-14 only works with the µ4/3 40-150/2.8 Pro and 300/4 Pro lenses, but not at the camera end of the MMF-3 it seems.
Correct, you need one of the two EC-adapters for 43rd lenses.
You can't attach the MMF-3 to the MC-14.

Last question: Is the EC-14 or EC-20 worth getting?

Thanks again Bart, I believe we got this straightened out.
The EC-14 is absolutely fine and although I've got the EC-20 as well, I think with the latter you'll see noticeable degradation of image quality.
You really think we got this ironed out by now ... :facesmack:

Now to a related topic, do you also experience more focusing variability with Silent low when using C-AF rather than S-AF with your E-M1.2? I certainly seem to. :facesmack:
Of course S-AF works only with stationary subjects I would think.
Well, to be honest I guess I haven't used even half of the options, so Silent Low is still somewhere down on my to-try list.

All the best.

k-hawinkler

Well Bart, for the first 15 or 20 minutes it was just me and the 9 deer watching each other, pretending to ignore the other party!
On weekends Bandelier National Monument is very popular. Today on Presidents Day all National Parks and Monuments are free.

k-hawinkler

Yup, it's a 1.4x Tele-Converter that's coded EC-14 (43rd) or MC-14 (µ43rd) ... easy peasy :rolleyes:

Correct, you need one of the two EC-adapters for 43rd lenses.
You can't attach the MMF-3 to the MC-14.

The EC-14 is absolutely fine and although I've got the EC-20 as well, I think with the latter you'll see noticeable degradation of image quality.
You really think we got this ironed out by now ... :facesmack:

Well, to be honest I guess I haven't used even half of the options, so Silent Low is still somewhere down on my to-try list.

All the best.

Thanks Bart. I might consider the EC-14 provided one can use it on the 300/2.8, can one? :grin:
A 420/4 would be interesting to have. Other than that I like my 40-150/2.8 Pro and 300/4 Pro and MC-14. :thumbs:

Unless one discovers spurious artifacts with Silent low, this setting will give you the sharpest pictures.
Nothing wrong with that so far in my experience with the E-M1.2.

IMHO the question is when to use S-AF and when C-AF on the E-M1.2 for the 150/2, as C-AF seems to have a harder time getting perfect focus every time.
Also S-AF still focuses darn well in the dark when C-AF is simply hunting my 150/2.
One could micro adjust focus for the 150/2 in the menu of the E-M1.2.
But I don't think that's the problem for my lens.
Some variability in C-AF focusing seems to be the issue, as already noted in early reviews of the 150/2.

I am very interested to learn about your experiences with the E-M1.2 + 150/2. :grin:

E-M1.2 + 150/2 @ f/2.8, C-AF Silent low. Using f/2.8 rather than f/2 seemed to have improved my keeper rate when pixel peeping. :LOL: