The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which shutter is best to use with E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

k-hawinkler

I typically shoot at 1/1000 to 1/2000 s @ F/5.6, C-AF, IBIS ON, HandHeld.
Which shutter works best: Sequential low? Anti-Shock low? Silent low?
Also should I use C-AF Tr instead of C-AF?
If this question has been posed before, could you please point me to the thread(s)?
TIA.

Knorp

I typically shoot at 1/1000 to 1/2000 s @ F/5.6, C-AF, IBIS ON, HandHeld.
Which shutter works best: Sequential low? Anti-Shock low? Silent low?
Also should I use C-AF Tr instead of C-AF?
If this question has been posed before, could you please point me to the thread(s)?
TIA.
First - what's the problem, K-H ?

Knorp

From FB group: Olympus E-M1II

I am not happy with the 'in focus capture rate' of BIFs when shooting in CA-F or CA-F Tracking AND Silent Low or Pro Capture Low - both with the 40-150 with TC and the 300 with TC. Shutter speed varies between 1/1600 and 1/2500. After doing some research, I discovered that Pages 46 has the following footnote: "Photographs taken in silent and pro-capture modes may be distorted if the subject or camera moves quickly during the shooting." Page 47 and 48 have a similar footnote. When I changed to using Sequential Low my good capture rate went way up. I thought Pro Capture would be ideal for BIFs, but the results I get are poor. Are the others that have the same issue? What do you make of the footnote? I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance

f6cvalkyrie

I shoot a bird from time to time (not with a gun ;-)) and do not use the silent mode, and always in S-AF
Silent mode is subject to distortion with moving objects, thus probably also with BIF but less so with stationary birds ...
I had a problem with distortion in silent mode on humans in the move ...

PS : this was with e-m1.1, but I don't think it will be better on 1.2

I hope this helps ...

CU,
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

do you mean distorsion-wise, or otherwise better, ptomsu ?
I am VERY interested to see a side by side comparison on moving humans/animals/birds/whatever between 1.1 and 1.2 !

C U,
Rafael

k-hawinkler

Hi Rafael.
To answer your question to Peter, distortion- and other-wise.
The E-M1.2 has much faster read-out speeds.
But distortion still can happen for jerky movements.
So, one has to keep an eye out for it. :banghead:
A direct comparison can be a tough one.
For example, using ProCapture one routinely can get shots with the E-M1.2 that are pretty much impossible or only with luck to get with the E-M1. If one takes a picture of a small bird that suddenly takes off and spins around its wings can get distorted and stretched out in the direction of helicopter blades. :LOL:

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Here are a few Bluebird images shot with E-M1.2 + Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150mm 1:2.0 @ ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/800s, C-AF, Silent low. You be the judge.

Knorp

Here are a few Bluebird images shot with E-M1.2 + Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150mm 1:2.0 @ ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/800s, C-AF, Silent low. You be the judge.
Can't see any anomalies, they just look absolutely lovely, K-H.
But how do you like your 'new' 150/2.0 ?
It's quite a beasty, right ?

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Can't see any anomalies, they just look absolutely lovely, K-H.
But how do you like your 'new' 150/2.0 ?
It's quite a beasty, right ?

Kind regards.

Thanks Bart for the feedback. It looks like Silent low works well.

Crop

E-M1 + 150/2 @ 1/10,000s, Silent low.

E-M1 + 150/2 @ 1/13,000s, Silent low.

Now to the question: S-AF or C-AF for 150/2 lens on E-M1.2?
I have to do more testing, but so far I get the impression S-AF focus is more precise and repeatable whereas C-AF varies in performance. Hmm. :facesmack:
But when the image is in focus, I really like the IQ. Doesn't S-AF use CDAF whereas C-AF uses PDAF?

I got the lens used from Japan.
I wonder whether it would benefit from Olympus Service.
There doesn't seem to be a firmware update for the lens though.

Knorp

Thanks Bart for the feedback. It looks like Silent low works well.

Now to the question: S-AF or C-AF for 150/2 lens on E-M1.2?
I have to do more testing, but so far I get the impression S-AF focus is more precise and repeatable whereas C-AF varies in performance. Hmm. :facesmack:
But when the image is in focus, I really like the IQ. Doesn't S-AF use CDAF whereas C-AF uses PDAF?

I got the lens used from Japan.
I wonder whether it would benefit from Olympus Service.
There doesn't seem to be a firmware update for the lens though.
Using S-AF or sometimes C-AF+T and M when on a tripod.
As for CD-AF or PD-AF, wasn't it so you need PD-AF for the 43-lenses to AF properly ?
My GX8 is CD-AF only and it seems to work poorly with my 43-lenses.

Having your used lens serviced is not a bad idea, but if it works fine, why should you ?
No firmware update is made available for the 150/2.0 after the initial version 1.0, while my MMF-3 adapter has version 1.1

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

You'll find it in the menu under Firmware (E-M1.1):
  • Body : 4.3
  • Lens : 1.0
  • Acc : 1.1
Many thanks Bart. Of course, I believe you as I have known you as an always reliable source! :thumbs: Which lens did you have attached?
I have checked Firmware on all my bodies E-M1.1, E-M1.2, E-M5.1, and E-M5.2. I even reset my E-M1.1 and E-M5.2 with FULL.
On all of them, with mounted MMF-3 adapter and 150/2 lens, Firmware displays only Body and Lens information - but not the ACC info.

For E-M1.1 I get: Body : 4.3, Lens : 1.0
For E-M1.2 I get: Body : 1.0, Lens : 1.0
For E-M5.1 I get: Body : 2.2, Lens : 1.0
For E-M5.2 I get: Body : 2.3, Lens : 1.0, Interestingly C-AF and C-AF Tr are greyed out, so not available.

I am dumbfounded! :loco: :banghead: Maybe I need to try another FT lens I don't have? Hmm.

Also, in Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM - OLYMPUS Digital Camera the following items are not listed for Firmware updates AFAIK:

E-M1 Mark II
MMF-3 adapter
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital MC-14 1.4x Teleconverter
ZUIKO DIGITAL 150mm F2.0

Now mounting MC-14 with 40-150/2.8 Pro lens on E-M1.2 I get the following - again no info for ACC.

For E-M1.2 I get: Body : 1.0, Lens : 1.2

I must be missing something basic! What is it? I will be grateful for any pointers! TIA

Could somebody
please check for the MC-14. TIA.

Last edited:

Knorp

Many thanks Bart. Of course, I believe you as I have known you as an always reliable source! :thumbs: Which lens did you have attached?
I have checked Firmware on all my bodies E-M1.1, E-M1.2, E-M5.1, and E-M5.2. I even reset my E-M1.1 and E-M5.2 with FULL.
On all of them, with mounted MMF-3 adapter and 150/2 lens, Firmware displays only Body and Lens information - but not the ACC info.

For E-M1.1 I get: Body : 4.3, Lens : 1.0
For E-M1.2 I get: Body : 1.0, Lens : 1.0
For E-M5.1 I get: Body : 2.2, Lens : 1.0
For E-M5.2 I get: Body : 2.3, Lens : 1.0, Interestingly C-AF and C-AF Tr are greyed out, so not available.

I am dumbfounded! :loco: :banghead: Maybe I need to try another FT lens I don't have? Hmm.

Also, in Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM - OLYMPUS Digital Camera the following items are not listed for Firmware updates AFAIK:

E-M1 Mark II
MMF-3 adapter
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital MC-14 1.4x Teleconverter
ZUIKO DIGITAL 150mm F2.0

Now mounting MC-14 with 40-150/2.8 Pro lens on E-M1.2 I get the following - again no info for ACC.

For E-M1.2 I get: Body : 1.0, Lens : 1.2

I must be missing something basic! What is it? I will be grateful for any pointers! TIA

Could somebody
please check for the MC-14. TIA.
Just a thought: perhaps my 1.4MC was still attached to the Zuiko 150/2.
That could explain the ACC entry in my menu ...
Anyway, I'll have to check when I get home.

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Just a thought: perhaps my 1.4MC was still attached to the Zuiko 150/2.
That could explain the ACC entry in my menu ...
Anyway, I'll have to check when I get home.

Kind regards.

Hmm, hmm, hmm, thanks Bart. In an earlier version you wrote (I got that in my email):

"Here is the message that has just been posted:***************
Mmm - sorry K-H, I'll have to check when I get back home.
I'm surprised you don't see the accessory.
Anway, I had my E-M1.1 with MMF-3 and Zuiko 150/2 attached.
Just a thought: you're sure you've got a genuine Olympus adapter ?

I'll be back later ..."

I remember in the past you pointed out correctly to me the following.
The current µ4/3 1.4x teleconverter MC-14 can be used with an adapted Leica-R lens.
Of course, one also could use first on certain R-lenses an APO-Extender-R and then adapt to an OM-D camera.
I have used both with success. Thanks again for your special insight and pointer. :thumbs: :D

You pose an interesting question I colored in turquoise.
I bought online very recently my MMF-3 adapter from Adorama.
After your questioning I am not sure it's a legitimate original Olympus MMF-3 4/3 to µ4/3 adapter.
Why do I think that now?

Well, if I understand you correctly, you seem to be able to attach your MMF-3 adapter to the MC-14, and then the MC-14 to your E-M1.1, correct?
If that is so, then I must have either a fake MMF-3 adapter or a fake MC-14 teleconverter because there is no way to attach the two. They simply don't fit! :banghead:
The MC-14 seems made out of a shiny confidence inspiring solid metal whereas the MMF-3 seems made out of a dull and very light non-plastic material.
Amazingly both seem to work on their own separately between a camera and a lens - but no firmware version display. :facesmack:

Here is a suggestion for a couple of tests.
Attach just one or the other without a lens to an OM-D camera and check the Firmware information. What do you find?
I only get the camera body firmware version displayed. :shocked: :facesmack: :banghead:

Many thanks for your help Bart, as always. I appreciate that very much!!! :salute:

PS: BTW my MC-14 has something resembling a serial number, namely: AC6208602, The MMF-3 has just the marking: MADE IN CHINA.

Last edited:

Knorp

Hmm, hmm, hmm, thanks Bart. In an earlier version you wrote (I got that in my email):

"Here is the message that has just been posted:***************
Mmm - sorry K-H, I'll have to check when I get back home.
I'm surprised you don't see the accessory.
Anway, I had my E-M1.1 with MMF-3 and Zuiko 150/2 attached.
Just a thought: you're sure you've got a genuine Olympus adapter ?

I'll be back later ..."

I remember in the past you pointed out correctly to me the following.
The current µ4/3 1.4x teleconverter MC-14 can be used with an adapted Leica-R lens.
Of course, one also could use first on certain R-lenses an APO-Extender-R and then adapt to an OM-D camera.
I have used both with success. Thanks again for your special insight and pointer. :thumbs: :D

You pose an interesting question I colored in turquoise.
I bought online very recently my MMF-3 adapter from Adorama.
After your questioning I am not sure it's a legitimate original Olympus MMF-3 4/3 to µ4/3 adapter.
Why do I think that now?

Well, if I understand you correctly, you seem to be able to attach your MMF-3 adapter to the MC-14, and then the MC-14 to your E-M1.1, correct?
If that is so, then I must have either a fake MMF-3 adapter or a fake MC-14 teleconverter because there is no way to attach the two. They simply don't fit! :banghead:
The MC-14 seems made out of a shiny confidence inspiring solid metal whereas the MMF-3 seems made out of a dull and very light non-plastic material.
Amazingly both seem to work on their own separately between a camera and a lens - but no firmware version display. :facesmack:

Here is a suggestion for a couple of tests.
Attach just one or the other without a lens to an OM-D camera and check the Firmware information. What do you find?
I only get the camera body firmware version displayed. :shocked: :facesmack: :banghead:

Many thanks for your help Bart, as always. I appreciate that very much!!! :salute:
Hi there K-H,

indeed, I posted that at first but then I realised that my EC-14 (43rd) adapter might be the accessory popping up in the menu and deleted that post.
But I can confirm right now that it was the EC-14, so without it the menu shows only camera and lens firmware versions. Sorry for causing any confusion ... :eek:
I guess the MMF-3 is just a dumb adapter, only routing the signals between lens and camera and will not show up in the menu.

The MC-14 (µ43rd) can be used with the R-to-m43 adapter as it fits into the adapter perfectly.
If I remember well it was with my R350/4.8

You got me puzzled, but I'd say this is the logical order; first - attach the MMF-3 to your camera, second - attach the EC-14 to the MMF-3, third - attach your 43rd lens to the EC-14, right ?
Both adapters read Olympus and while the EC-14 has the same surface texture as my 43rd-lenses, the MMF-3 has a matt black smooth surface

Kind regards.

Last edited: