The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Legacy glass on 4/3 and m4/3

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm starting this because I'm planning to increase my own use of legacy glass with the GX8. In my case it will to start with mostly be OM lenses, but I'm considering two CY mount Zeiss lenses as well, the 85mmm f/1.4 (had it and sold it) and the 180mm f/2.8. I have standard adapters for the time being, but plan to by Speed Boosters for both mounts.

Here's one with the OM Zuiko 50mm f/2 Macro for starters:

Knorp

It's a great shot, Jørgen. Made me smile ... :)

As for spending on legacy glass and adapters: why-o-why ?

Kind regards.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's a great shot, Jørgen. Made me smile ... :)

As for spending on legacy glass and adapters: why-o-why ?

Kind regards.
Thanks, Knorp.

Why legacy glass...? I have the OM glass, and I use it on my OM cameras. The 50mm f/2 macro is a really superb lens and with a Speed Booster it will become a 36mm f/1.4, very useful for portraits, and close focusing as well, as opposed to the more expensive alternatives, the Voigtländer 42.5mm f/0.95 and the PL 42.5mm f/1.2.

The Zeiss CY 180mm will fill the only big gap in the m4/3 lineup; a high quality 150ish prime. With a traditional adapter, it's obviously a 180mm f/2.8, while with a Speed Booster, it will become a 128mm f/2.0. The alternative would be the Zuiko 150mm f/2.0 in 4/3 mount, but it's more than twice as heavy and twice as expensive too. No, I don't like the Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8. Had it. sold it, don't regret it. I suppose the upcoming PL 50-200mm f/2.8-4.0 will suit me better than the Zuiko, but at this stage, it doesn't exist, and it's f/4 at the long end.

The tricky choice is the 85mm f/1.4. It's not better than the Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 which I have, but with the Speed Booster, it will become a 60mm f/1.0. That will be great for street portraits in low light and with good subject isolation too. It's also a very compact lens, although somewhat heavy at 595g. I might also buy another Contax body for portrait work to replace my broken RX, a fantastic camera.

As usual, I'm not 100% sure about any of this, and I might change my mind as I go. But the GX8 is such a great camera for manual focusing, so... we'll see :)

Knorp

Thans, Jørgen. As for a long(-ish) manual lens you may consider the Samyang 135/2.0 in m43-mount (€529).
Seems pretty good according to the boffins of Lenstip: Samyang 135 mm f/2.0 ED UMC

Note: you may call me 'Bart' .... just saying :lecture:

Kind regards.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thans, Jørgen. As for a long(-ish) manual lens you may consider the Samyang 135/2.0 in m43-mount (€529).
Seems pretty good according to the boffins of Lenstip: Samyang 135 mm f/2.0 ED UMC

Kind regards.
Knart? I'll remember ;) It was late last night.

Thank you for reminding me about the Samyang. 96mm f/1.4 too. Interesting option.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Kind regards.
Ordered it. Price was silly low, $400 from my local pusher. Takes 2-3 weeks, probably gray import from HK.

docfox

Not Available
I'm starting this because I'm planning to increase my own use of legacy glass with the GX8. In my case it will to start with mostly be OM lenses, but I'm considering two CY mount Zeiss lenses as well, the 85mmm f/1.4 (had it and sold it) and the 180mm f/2.8. I have standard adapters for the time being, but plan to by Speed Boosters for both mounts.
Dear Jorgen,

I have done a little "lens hacking", mostly with Olympus OM Zuiko lenses on 4/3 and m4/3 cameras. I wrote about my experience with 4/3 hacks in 2009. Click here for a PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bLj0xncj6UQWxCaXA1TnhoaG8/view?usp=sharing

In 2011 I wrote about using the same lenses on m4/3 cameras. Click here for a PDF:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bLj0xncj6URjRmblFzeW5JVm8/view?usp=sharing

I think you will find your GX8 gets along really well with OM lenses! In my opinion, a mirrorless m4/3 body is the perfect host for any legacy lens and its shallow body allows the use of almost any optic that came before. Having in-body stabilization and an electronic viewfinder with focus-peaking and/or image magnification really lets you get the most out of your old glass.

Regards,

George

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Dear Jorgen,

I have done a little "lens hacking", mostly with Olympus OM Zuiko lenses on 4/3 and m4/3 cameras. I wrote about my experience with 4/3 hacks in 2009. Click here for a PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bLj0xncj6UQWxCaXA1TnhoaG8/view?usp=sharing

In 2011 I wrote about using the same lenses on m4/3 cameras. Click here for a PDF:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bLj0xncj6URjRmblFzeW5JVm8/view?usp=sharing

I think you will find your GX8 gets along really well with OM lenses! In my opinion, a mirrorless m4/3 body is the perfect host for any legacy lens and its shallow body allows the use of almost any optic that came before. Having in-body stabilization and an electronic viewfinder with focus-peaking and/or image magnification really lets you get the most out of your old glass.

Regards,

George
Thank you for your comments, George. I'll read your documents as soon as I'm back to a better internet connection. In the meantime, I've bought a Samyang 135mm f/2 in F-mount that isn't really "legacy glass". I post photos taken with that in the "No 150mm" thread.

I fully agree that the GX8 is as perfect as can be for manual focus lenses. It's a camera that I enjoy a lot.

popcan

Here's a couple I took with a Canon FD 135mm f2.8 mounted on my Lumix GX7 a couple years ago....

popcan

-

...And here is one of my grandson, taken with an old thread mount Canon 50mm f1.8 mounted on GX8

Maverick.jpg

Last edited:

mediumcool

My new Minolta MD > μ43 adapter arrived today: available-light test

Olympus E-M5 with Rokkor MD 35mm wide-open 1/25 f/1.8 ISO 1250

100% crop

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've been considering buying a better 25mm lens than the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 for some time now. However, after trying the OM Zuiko 35mm f/2 with the Viltrox EF-M2, that project has been archived in the freezer for the overseeable future. It's a lovely lens, and it gets even better with the Viltrox.

GX8 with OM Zuiko 35mm f/2 and Viltrix EF-M2 @ f/2 (25mm and f/1.4)