The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does the EM5 Mk2 RAW need more sharpening than the Mk1 ?

As above.

Or maybe I could change the word 'need' for 'encourage'.

Please can you keep your answers to the EM5 range. I already read there are differences with the EM1 - it is the EM5s that I am referring to.

Tony
London UK

tomh

As above.

Or maybe I could change the word 'need' for 'encourage'.

Please can you keep your answers to the EM5 range. I already read there are differences with the EM1 - it is the EM5s that I am referring to.

Tony
London UK
To my eye the E-M5 MkII image is sharper than the MkI. I use a 4K monitor and this may influence comparison of the two cameras because the monitor has excellent resolution and can show differences better.

Thanks Tom,

March 16 my post. Clearly not a hot topic!

I have now used my Mk2 in good (even in the UK) sunlight and my conclusion is that the sensor is inherently a lot sharper than the Mk1.

My earlier tests were in poorer light and often indoors. Much of my extra sharpening was probably to erase camera shake - which I now cure by using shorter shutter speeds and higher iSO (as the Mk 2 is also kinder than the Mk 1 at resisting noise).

As people who read my threads will know I use Qimage to convert my RAWs. It loves the Mk 2. I have never converted one Lightroom user to Qimage yet - but I mention it in case there is anyone around here willing to spend half an hour giving it a go.

Tony

mediumcool

… I use Qimage to convert my RAWs. It loves the Mk 2.
I suggest that you give the demo of Capture One a tryout (it’s cross-platform); recently-added features including Halo Suppression and Diffraction Correction work very well with μ43 files.

I rent Lr—along with Ps—but don’t use it!