The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My DMC-G1 with auto focus lenses

B

butterdada

In my memory , only few lenses (both M4/3 & 4/3 lens) can focus automatically on G1. Right?

DMC-G1 + Kit lens

R

Ranger 9

As always, beautiful photos regardless of what lens used.

Question: I have read that not only do few lenses autofocus on the G1, but most other than the kit lens also autofocus rather slowly. Do you feel that this is true, or not?

Brian Mosley

Ranger, that's correct - the lumix kit lenses are optimised for m4/3rds CDAF... about on a par with entry level PDAF for speed, but the ability to CDAF anywhere in the image frame makes them seem even faster.

CDAF is the future imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

Diane B

Ranger, that's correct - the lumix kit lenses are optimised for m4/3rds CDAF... about on a par with entry level PDAF for speed, but the ability to CDAF anywhere in the image frame makes them seem even faster.

CDAF is the future imho.

Kind Regards

Brian
Interestingly enough (to me LOL), this morning I decided that I really wanted the WAzoom for the G1--be it the Panasonic 7-14 f/4 or the 9-18 (I can't bring myself to pay $1500 USD for a lens that won't be used that much, i.e., the Oly 7-14 f/4---and the 9-18 looks like a very good WA). I'm waiting now to see just what the Panny WA is like, price, but I'd like to have one of them (and of course with the Oly I will have to add the adaptor--elusive as it is LOL) by Summer here in the US--that's June. Speed of AF in a WA is not one of my important criteria either.

The 9-18 shots here are very nice:clap:.

Diane

Last edited:
Beautiful and very sharp shots, butterdata., but I prefer your pictures shot with manual lenses because of the selective focus + bokeh.
Thanks for sharing
Peter

B

butterdada

Question: I have read that not only do few lenses autofocus on the G1, but most other than the kit lens also autofocus rather slowly. Do you feel that this is true, or not?

Most 4/3 lenses , even use of panasonic 4/3 to M4/3 adaptor, cannot AF.
My 35/3.5 , 50-200, and even L1 kit lens cannot AF on G1
9-18 is ok.
As I know, only L10 kit lens,25/1.4, 25/2.8, 9-18, new 14-54 can AF.
You can see the Panasonic website.