The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can someone explain HDR on the 5 mk 2 ?

Please.

I have to do a shot that requires as much detail as possible. The manual talks about 40 megapixel files and I'd love a RAW one of those.

I am not worried about compressing dynamic range which is where I have used bracketing which is combined in post processing.

The manual speaks of the camera moving the sensor by half a pixel at a time to pack more info into a small sequence of shots. But most of that section of the manual is concentrated on selecting different exposure levels - and auto combining jpgs. Neither of these seem relevant to my needs.

Can someone do some translating please?

Tony
London UK

Re: Can someone explain High Res on the 5 mk 2 ?

Sorry.

I did not mean HDR I meant High Res shooting.

Anyone tried it?

Tony

scott kirkpatrick

Please.

I have to do a shot that requires as much detail as possible. The manual talks about 40 megapixel files and I'd love a RAW one of those.

I am not worried about compressing dynamic range which is where I have used bracketing which is combined in post processing.

The manual speaks of the camera moving the sensor by half a pixel at a time to pack more info into a small sequence of shots. But most of that section of the manual is concentrated on selecting different exposure levels - and auto combining jpgs. Neither of these seem relevant to my needs.

Can someone do some translating please?

Tony
London UK
The little bit that is public knowledge about Olympus 8-shot HiRes doesn't explain all the mysteries. Hasselblad has a simpler system, that takes 4 shots, moving one pixel distance between shots. You can think of it as moving the Bayer filter mask over the pixels so that you get an R, a G, another G, and a B exposure for each pixel, leaving you no longer needing to do all the de-Bayer interpolation. But Olympus takes 8 shots, generating 128 MPx of data, over a timespan of a second or more. It might be that they take the same 4 shots that Hasselblad uses, and four more covering a pseudo array spaced exactly between all the pixel positions in the original chip, again with each pseudo pixel getting an R, G, G, and B exposure. This can't be done with only 1/2 pixel in x and 1/2 pixel in y moves -- one of the moves has to cover a full pixel spacing. Olympus chooses two output formats. One is a jpeg in which they produce 40 MPx, each with R, G, and B information. The other is a pseudo Raw file with 64 MPx, spaced evenly and as if there was a Bayer filter at the new spacing above it. So each output form is synthetic, and chosen so that standard programs can render them. It works especially well if you are shooting a static object indoors. Grass and leaves that move between shots outdoors can look a bit strange, although the M1.2 uses some fractal tricks to manage that.

You have to go back a year or two to see examples in this forum, but there are quite a few. Just try it and see for yourself.

scott

Thanks Scott,

When I try Search I cannot see anything - but if anyone else can please send me the link.

I want to learn.

Tony

Knorp

Hi there Tony,

I've never tried my hands on hi-res in earnest, but I think K-H did post some of his tries.
Hopefully he steps in ...

OTOH - Why not start experimenting ? I'd say it's far more satisfying discovering it yourself !

Kind regards.

Thanks Bart,

I'm doing some experimenting but if you bump into K-H could you give him a nudge over here.

The topic is poorly documented in the Manual and the two third party manuals I also bought.

Tony

Thanks Scott,

I'll look.

Certainly my experiments so far have not been encouraging as I already own the Sigma Merrill DP 123 cameras.

I will use them when I need higher resolution.

Tony