The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PL 8-18 vs. Pana 7-14 review

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I found this review interesting, and the 8-18mm seems to solve what in my view is the biggest weakness of the Panasonic 7-14mm: corner sharpness. Apart from that, it seems to be a slightly better lens in most respects. I currently use the Zuiko 9-18mm in 4/3 mount, but this is a lens that I'll consider.

Panasonic Leica 8-18mm f/2.8-4 vs Lumix 7-14mm f/4 ? The complete comparison
For that size and prize you can get the Olympus 2.8/7-14 PRO, that would top all the other WA zooms of m43 easily.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For that size and prize you can get the Olympus 2.8/7-14 PRO, that would top all the other WA zooms of m43 easily.
... if the corner sharpness can compete with the PL and if you don't need to use filters and if you can do without a lens that goes beyond 14mm.

One distinct advantage with the 8-18mm is that it reduces the need for a 12-35 or 12-40mm. I would typically travel with 8-18, 35-100 and a 25mm prime.

drofnad

Hmmm, IMO, this reads like a "I get to write a review" article aiming to say nice things about a new item. I'd prefer one of those Roger of LensRentals reviews where not merely one but several copies of lenses are used, and real usage over time is reflected (vis-a-vis "robust", which often seems to be most honestly read as "heavier").

I've not really pixel-peep'd my 7-14/4's corners, but in general I'd been quite pleased by what I saw casually when getting mine from KEH.com after missing another whose seller had asserted "sharp into the corners by f/5.6) --and mine seemed good wide open (4.0).

The bit about right-sizing for various bodies, at, what a half-ounce (15g) diff. and somewhat longer 8-18?! --really?!
And trying for bokeh, w/WA lens?
And that sometimes (too-)snug fitting 7-14 lens cap (I LIKE it; better protection) ... !

And as for weatherizing, "freeze-proof down to ...", what's the real merit of such claims? I was surprised when looking .... that neither of the truly rugged big guns 1D & D3/D4 gave such claims re temperature (though some guy used D200s left out on glaciers and of course these cameras --and others-- are regularly used in freezing temperatures. Seemed odd IMO for no claims, just perhaps guarding the promise of speed vis-a-vis battery flow, I guess?)

And what's this double-talk
At 8mm and their respective fastest apertures (2.8 on the Leica and 4 on the Lumix), we can see that the Lumix is a little sharper than the Leica.
&
If we compare a set of images taken at a working distance closer to infinity, we see that the results are the same as at a short focus distance. f/2.8 on the Leica is a little softer than f/4 on the Lumix at 8mm, whereas the rest of the apertures at the various focal lengths are very similar.
vs.
[and from where is this apparent quote (only ' " ' to open, none to close?) taken?
The only perceivable difference in sharpness can be seen in the corners. When set to the same aperture and focal length, the Leica is consistently sharper than the Lumix.
MOST importantly --given the review's rocky-beach & row-houses images-- looks to me to be that the 7-14 has more clouds & a crow :: not to everyone's taste, I'm afraid.

The current lone comment does raise a known issue : "purple blobs". If you need these, you might have to stick with the older lens, but no answer has been given yet.
:D

-d

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hmmm, IMO, this reads like a "I get to write a review" article aiming to say nice things about a new item. I'd prefer one of those Roger of LensRentals reviews where not merely one but several copies of lenses are used, and real usage over time is reflected (vis-a-vis "robust", which often seems to be most honestly read as "heavier").

I've not really pixel-peep'd my 7-14/4's corners, but in general I'd been quite pleased by what I saw casually when getting mine from KEH.com after missing another whose seller had asserted "sharp into the corners by f/5.6) --and mine seemed good wide open (4.0).

The bit about right-sizing for various bodies, at, what a half-ounce (15g) diff. and somewhat longer 8-18?! --really?!
And trying for bokeh, w/WA lens?
And that sometimes (too-)snug fitting 7-14 lens cap (I LIKE it; better protection) ... !

And as for weatherizing, "freeze-proof down to ...", what's the real merit of such claims? I was surprised when looking .... that neither of the truly rugged big guns 1D & D3/D4 gave such claims re temperature (though some guy used D200s left out on glaciers and of course these cameras --and others-- are regularly used in freezing temperatures. Seemed odd IMO for no claims, just perhaps guarding the promise of speed vis-a-vis battery flow, I guess?)

And what's this double-talk

MOST importantly --given the review's rocky-beach & row-houses images-- looks to me to be that the 7-14 has more clouds & a crow :: not to everyone's taste, I'm afraid.

The current lone comment does raise a known issue : "purple blobs". If you need these, you might have to stick with the older lens, but no answer has been given yet.
:D

-d
I didn't read much of the review, but compared the photos. In the corners, there is a clear difference. That matters to me, since I've had photos taken with the Panasonic 7-14mm refused by stock agencies due to lack of sharpness, and I had to agree: the corners where not nearly good enough at wide angles.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Being an Olympus m43 shooter I very much tend to the Only 2.8/7-14.

Anything longer I have covered by the 14-40 and the 40-150 PRO's anyway.

Staying consistent with lens choices (same haptic and feel) seems to be far more important to me than some (if at all) small advantages ages of another brand's lens.

biglouis

Staying consistent with lens choices (same haptic and feel) seems to be far more important to me than some (if at all) small advantages ages of another brand's lens.
I'm a Panasonic shooter. But the 7-14/2.8 Pro produces such sharp and consistent output I'd be nuts to change to the 8-18 just because it is Panasonic. Maybe if I feel particularly rich at some point I might buy it as a second UWA.

If I was starting from nothing as a Panasonic shooter I'd definitely go with the 8-18, though.

LouisB

drofnad

I didn't read much of the review, but compared the photos. In the corners, there is a clear difference. That matters to me, since I've had photos taken with the Panasonic 7-14mm refused by stock agencies due to lack of sharpness, and I had to agree: the corners where not nearly good enough at wide angles.
I can understand your concern, then. But it's a fair question to ask if the difference is one of make vs. copy. Consider that the same review source gave this about the two m4/3 7-14s (and BigLouis isn't noting soft corners w/Oly) :

At the corners the results are similar once again. The M.Zuiko lens is ever so slightly sharper at f/2.8 and f/4 but at f/5.6 we can notice that the Lumix lens performs better.
-d

btw, your post in the Nikon forum re mirrorless not doing enuff for you (even w/newest offerings --G85?) hints at learned insights ! Thanks, :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I can understand your concern, then. But it's a fair question to ask if the difference is one of make vs. copy. Consider that the same review source gave this about the two m4/3 7-14s (and BigLouis isn't noting soft corners w/Oly) :

-d
This is what I'm talking about, and this is even at f/5.6. I assume that the difference would be even bigger at f/4, but he didn't test that (only f/2.8 vs. f/4). Not only is sharpness distinctively better with the PL, but contrast is much, much better and the PL seems to suffer less from vignetting:

btw, your post in the Nikon forum re mirrorless not doing enuff for you (even w/newest offerings --G85?) hints at learned insights ! Thanks, :)
I don't know what post at the Nikon forum you're talking about, but although I might buy another Nikon body (D810 or D820 most probably), depending on my needs, I'm quite happy with m4/3 at the moment, and when it comes to lenses, I would have to invest a considerable amount in F-mount glass to get a quality on par with what I have now with m4/3.

raist3d

Sure, but that's your preference and it has nothing to do with the lens being optically better or not. Also remember what he said- the range of the Panasonic reduces the need for the other lenses- at least for some people.

I don't see an issue with having good choices.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sure, but that's your preference and it has nothing to do with the lens being optically better or not. Also remember what he said- the range of the Panasonic reduces the need for the other lenses- at least for some people.

I don't see an issue with having good choices.

- Ricardo
Exactly, good choices are always a plus!

If I would be invested in Panasonic cameras, I would mainly stay with PL glass, nothing else. As I am invested in Olympus I try to stay with Olympus glass as long as I can - and so far I never did regret!

WRT range of the PL lens, this also has NOTHING to do with optical quality, is simple preference and I understand that. Especially when quality is as close I would always go for what suits my needs best - is as simple!

Peter

drofnad

This is what I'm talking about, ...
Ah, yes, the one where the 7-14/4 brought in clouds & a crow! ;)

I don't know what post at the Nikon forum you're talking about, but although I might buy another Nikon body (D810 or D820 most probably), depending on my needs, I'm quite happy with m4/3 at the moment, and when it comes to lenses, I would have to invest a considerable amount in F-mount glass to get a quality on par with what I have now with m4/3.
It was this remark, which hints at being less than quite happy (but maybe still happy enuff):
There's always the possibility to buy another one [viz., D810] at a lower price when the D820 has been launched, or simply buying a D820... if I have any money to buy it for. I've just put the sale of the 24-120mm on hold. My second mirrorless attempt isn't going spectacularly well, and it's increasingly clear to me why Nikon isn't venturing into that area.
-d.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ah, yes, the one where the 7-14/4 brought in clouds & a crow! ;)

It was this remark, which hints at being less than quite happy (but maybe still happy enuff):

-d.
Might that have been during my relationship with the E-M1? We really, really didn't go well together :ROTFL:

Two things have changed that:

- My return to Panasonic.
- Successful experiments with post processing.

Still, I might buy a high resolution Nikon in the future, but at the moment m4/3 works pretty well for me. I'll probably also buy another Olympus body soon, this time to use for object photography in hi-res mode.

Remember also that as a certified owner of a perfectly dysfunctional squirrel brain, I'm entitled to a change of opinion twice every 15 minutes :lecture:

biglouis

Panasonic UK sent me a mailshot yesterday with an offer of £100 cash back if I buy the 8-18. Maybe they read my post above (haha)?

LouisB

Knorp

Panasonic UK sent me a mailshot yesterday with an offer of £100 cash back if I buy the 8-18. Maybe they read my post above (haha)?

LouisB
Pfff - no such offers here: after my PL100-400 swap I suppose they've given up on me ... :facesmack: