The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samyang 50mm f/1.2

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If I had that lens, the aperture ring would be taped to f1.2. Just sayin...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One more at f/1.2. Saigon yesterday. It rained. Still the market for rain coats seemed slow :wtf:

GX8 with Samyang 50mm f/1.2 @ f/1.2

Children's day today.

GX8 with Samyang 50mm f/1.2 @ f/2.8

Hi Jorgen,

what a wonderful photo! That is exactly what I want to achieve with my MFT gear to be able to drop my fullframe gear. If my example of the Samyang would be as good as yours, I would be happy. I have to do more tests with mine.

How far away was the wall from the child in focus?
How far away have you been from the child in focus?
What was your shutterspeed and ISO?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen,

what a wonderful ophoto! That is exactly what I want to achieve with my MFT gear to be able to drop my fulkframe gear. If my example of the Samyang would be as good as yours, I would be happy. I have to do more tests with mine.

How far away wa the wall from the child in focus?
How far away have you been from the child in focus?
What was your shutterspeed and ISO?

thanks in advance.
Thanks. ISO was 500 (I used auto ISO) and shutter speed 1/125s with electronic shutter. B&W conversion in Photoshop (Image, Adjustment, Black and White). USM 64/0.4/0 after downsizing to web size (990px longest side). There were some colour and contrast adjustments in ACR first due to terrible coloured lighting, but that's irrelevant for the end result.

Distance from me to the girl in focus was probably around 3 metres, the distance from her to the wall must have been 4-5 metres, but I'm not 100% on that. The out-of-focus girl was 50-100 centimetres closer to me.

Please be aware that this lens shows a softer bokeh when stopped down a stop or two, something that it shares with a few other fast 50mm lenses, like the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2. While it's a fun lens to use wide open, and sharp enough when in focus, it's really exceptional at f/2 and 2.8.

o.k., I will try that this weekend with different apertures. Weather is really bad here. I have to avoid high ISOs, otherwise you do not know where the unsharpness comes from :)

I love to focus manually. Makes me a lot more relaxed. Memories from the "old times"...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Do you prefer in the situations above with your photo the Samyang or the Oly 75/1.8?
Since children were involved, the Zuiko with AF had been more convenient. It's a stop slower though, and it was pitch dark outside the stage, and the Zuiko is sometimes too long. Normally with children, I would carry two bodies, one with the Zuiko and one with the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8. A friend of mine is borrowing the Zuiko, so I chose to go for one body/one lens and it worked relatively well.

For pure portrait work, I usually prefer the Samyang. It does seem to have more "pop", and the shorter focal length allows me to move closer to the subject.

Since children were involved, the Zuiko with AF had been more convenient. It's a stop slower though, and it was pitch dark outside the stage, and the Zuiko is sometimes too long. Normally with children, I would carry two bodies, one with the Zuiko and one with the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8. A friend of mine is borrowing the Zuiko, so I chose to go for one body/one lens and it worked relatively well.

For pure portrait work, I usually prefer the Samyang. It does seem to have more "pop", and the shorter focal length allows me to move closer to the subject.

Do you own the Panasonic 42.5/1.7? If not, you should try that in a shop and compare it to the Samyang.

Unfortunately, manual focus with AF lenses is not a pleasure....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Do you own the Panasonic 42.5/1.7? If not, you should try that in a shop and compare it to the Samyang.

Unfortunately, manual focus with AF lenses is not a pleasure....
I know it's good, and might buy one to have an AF alternative. It's also smaller and lighter.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I tried to think of something meaningful to say about this, but gave up. I guess it's called progress :loco:

GX8 with Samyang 50mm f/1.2