The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samyang 50mm f/1.2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not so many have heard about this lens, and even fewer seem to know that it's available in m4/3 mount. From the outset, it's designed for APS-C mirrorless cameras. It gets excellent reviews though, and I got mine brand new for under $500, so I thought it was worth a try.

Manual focus and f/1.2 don't mix well with action photography, and my initial experience is that anything that moves represents a challenge. Here's a little resolution test of a mostly static object: my living room curtains. I was sitting about 3 meters away, and the pattern in the fabric is so fine that I can hardly see it with my bare eyes even close up. I show only the 100% crops. Please be aware that the f/4 shot is done at ISO 1600 while the f/1.2 shot is done at ISO 320. Both shots are done hand held sitting in the sofa while my 4 year old daughter explained to me all the food she was making for her dolls at her toy kitchen.

First the f/4 shot. I didn't have another prime lens of similar focal length available, but at f/4, this lens cleans the floor with any zoom lens I own, including the excellent Panasonic f/2.8 zooms. Here's the 100% crop. No sharpening or noise reduction, and when I did try to sharpen, the effect was minimal:

Then the f/1.2 shot, the same crop, which was where the lens was in focus at f/1.2. As expected, it's much less sharp, but still usable for many things, like portraits:

Finally, I wanted to see what happened if I applied some relatively heavy sharpening to the f/1.2 shot. I tried USM 80/1.5/0. That was when I got the surprise. The details are there, and because it's shot a much lower ISO, it can actually compete with the f/4 image, at least in the center of the frame. The corners are much more mushy though.

No conclusions yet, but this is a lens I'm going to have a lot of fun with.

Knorp

Jørgen, I think this is your second Samyang, right ?
I too am pretty impressed by their progress in optic design and execution, but a 'native' m43 lens without AF ?
That still is a no-no for me.
Anyway, hope to see more of your Samyangs ... :thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jørgen, I think this is your second Samyang, right ?
I too am pretty impressed by their progress in optic design and execution, but a 'native' m43 lens without AF ?
That still is a no-no for me.
Anyway, hope to see more of your Samyangs ... :thumbs:
Not only does it lack AF, but there are no electrical contacts, so stop down metering and total absence of EXIF data. Build quality is top notch though, except the focus ring that is a bit too hard. Aperture ring has two clicks per stop. I have a week of travel ahead of me, so this one and the 135mm will see some use.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My daughter got married yesterday. Here's one from the party. The Samyang was surprisingly easy to focus wide open in the dark of the dance floor.

GX8 with Samyang 50mm f/1.2 @ f/1.2, 1/50s and ISO 3200

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a weakness:
Sometimes there's distinct blue fringing in contrasty areas. It's difficult to remove, particularly if the background is also a shade of blue. Luckily, it's not as prominent or ugly as purple or yellow fringing. You can see it in the hair of my son in law and around the leaves here. I was able to remove it around my daughter's head.

GX8 with Samyang 50mm f/1.2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I really wonder how it would compare to the Nocticron 1.2 42.5 :toocool:
I can't afford to do the comparison, but my guess is:

- Centre sharpness is probably similar, but micro contrast of the Samyang is exceptional.
- Bokeh is probably smoother with the PL, and falloff less dramatic.

I would love to own both. The Samyang is a dramatic lens, and for beauty shots, it's important to know your tool. I've rarely seen an ugly background with the PL. With the Samyang, it happens more often. It's not unlike the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2, but is much sharper and more contrasty wide open. The Samyang keeps more or less the same contrast throughout most apertures.

Edit:
The portrait above was too contrasty at f/1.2, and I had to take it down a bit. I've never experienced that with an ultra fast aperture lens before.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I can't afford to do the comparison, but my guess is:

- Centre sharpness is probably similar, but micro contrast of the Samyang is exceptional.
- Bokeh is probably smoother with the PL, and falloff less dramatic.

I would love to own both. The Samyang is a dramatic lens, and for beauty shots, it's important to know your tool. I've rarely seen an ugly background with the PL. With the Samyang, it happens more often. It's not unlike the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2, but is much sharper and more contrasty wide open. The Samyang keeps more or less the same contrast throughout most apertures.

Edit:
The portrait above was too contrasty at f/1.2, and I had to take it down a bit. I've never experienced that with an ultra fast aperture lens before.
Seems to be a really great lens.

The only drawback for me is that it is not AF, which I need more while getting older ;) but otherwise this is definitely a lens to go for!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Seems to be a really great lens.

The only drawback for me is that it is not AF, which I need more while getting older ;) but otherwise this is definitely a lens to go for!
I'm pretty old too, but I've learned a few tricks to make manual focusing simpler:

- I use peaking, but to see the nuances of the peaking, I have changed the viewfinder to grayscale with red peaking. That means that image previews become grayscale as well, but they're changed to colour in Adobe Bridge. There are also certain "objects" that wont' be visible in grayscale, like rainbows on a dark, cloudy background (discovered that yesterday), but I have another eye for what happens outside the viewfinder.

- Learn what OOF areas look like just ib front of and just behind objects in focus. This will vary with lens, aperture and distance to objects, so it will never be perfect, but taking lots of images helps.

- Accept that not all images will be in perfect focus. "La netteté est un concept bourgeois." ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another portrait with this lens. I don't remember he aperture, but it's probably f/2 or 2.8.

GX8 with Samyang 50mm f/1.2