The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PL 12-60mm f/2.8-4

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm borrowing this lens for a couple of days. My gut feeling right now is that it's a very nice lens, but that it lacks the sharpness wide open that the 12-35/35-100 f/2.8 duo offers. It seems to have a "personality" similar to that of the 4/3 mount PL 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5. It's very convenient, and probably an excellent "go anywhere, any time" lens. Dual IS works like a charm, and basically obsoletes the need for a tripod. Compared to the Zuiko 12-100mm monster, it's a tiny lens. That helps too.

Oh.... and bokeh is fantastic. Look at the background in the "window" in the first image.

GX8 with PL 12-60mm f/2.8-4 @ 60mm, f/4 and 1/40s, cropped

GX8 with PL 12-60mm f/2.8-4 @ 34mm, f/3.8 and 1/13s

biglouis

I've found that all my 'Leica' m43rds lenses definitely have a Leica-glow and look. Mind you, so does my Lumix 20/1.7 and paradoxically the 12-35/2.8.

I wonder how much is 'in-camera' even though I shoot RAW.

Personally, I said as much at the time it was announced I am not sure what the 12-60 gives anyone over the versatility of the 12-35/2.8. Yes, you have to also carry the 35-100/2.8 to give you a similar range (a bit more, obviously) but the weight of both lenses and a camera is hardly a factor.

That said, you have to admire Panasonic - and hopefully Leica - for giving the 43rds community more lens choices. I'm not about to change mine at present but in the future it gives me more choice.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've found that all my 'Leica' m43rds lenses definitely have a Leica-glow and look. Mind you, so does my Lumix 20/1.7 and paradoxically the 12-35/2.8.

I wonder how much is 'in-camera' even though I shoot RAW.

Personally, I said as much at the time it was announced I am not sure what the 12-60 gives anyone over the versatility of the 12-35/2.8. Yes, you have to also carry the 35-100/2.8 to give you a similar range (a bit more, obviously) but the weight of both lenses and a camera is hardly a factor.

That said, you have to admire Panasonic - and hopefully Leica - for giving the 43rds community more lens choices. I'm not about to change mine at present but in the future it gives me more choice.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
The 12-35 is a fantastic lens, and I won't change it for the 12-60 either. I've also found that pairing it with the 75/1.8 instead of the 35-100 gives me the versatility that I need for travel. Not always long enough, but the extra stop is worth a lot sometimes.