The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

F1.2 - the fast lane

But of course 2.8 and 1.4 are rather different when it comes to short depth of focus.

And the pictures of the two bits of kit show the size - and one has to guess the weight difference.

I am convinced that one should stay with m43 and follow the trend towards wider apertures.

There is a poster above talking about a Sigma zoom and a Metabones booster - maybe this is another route forward.

Tony

Knorp

There's a bunch of ultra-fast manual µ43 lenses from Voigtländer, but I don't know if they are any good (or good enough) wide open.

Thanks Bart.

I have only looked at the 25mm but these two reviews have put me off looking further.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/...95-25mm-micro-43-lens-review-by-david-babsky/

http://www.photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/voigtlander-nokton-25mm-f0-95-type-ii-review/

Maybe the other focal lengths are better but if they don't seem to mind selling a 25mm that is pretty unuseable when fully open I don't expect the others in the range are going to be radically different.

But thanks for the pointer.

Tony

Amin

The Voigtlander 17/0.95 is fairly sharp wide open and renders in a beautiful way. I like it so much that I bought it twice. I sold it twice because I so rarely want to shoot manual focus. Still, I'm thinking about buying it a third time :loco:.

A few family photos with that lens:

Knorp

But it is MF only, which is meanwhile a no go for dynamic type of shooting (almost exclusively AF-C Tracking with Eye AF) I mostly do.
I'm not sure I totally agree here, but perhaps AF is not required by Tony.

Thanks Bart,

Yes. Autofocus is important to me. I call myself a photojournalist and a lot of my best shots are grab shots of people.

Years ago I was a manual focus Leica man. The first shot was the one I wanted. The second was in focus but the moment had gone. The Leicas were traded for Canons and my success to failure ratio changed dramatically.

It would take a real level of improvement in lens speed and bokeh to make me abandon autofocus. Sadly I don't see that in those Voiglander lenses when I compare the f1.2 autos we have been talking about.

Tony

Knorp

Thanks Bart,

Yes. Autofocus is important to me. I call myself a photojournalist and a lot of my best shots are grab shots of people.

Years ago I was a manual focus Leica man. The first shot was the one I wanted. The second was in focus but the moment had gone. The Leicas were traded for Canons and my success to failure ratio changed dramatically.

It would take a real level of improvement in lens speed and bokeh to make me abandon autofocus. Sadly I don't see that in those Voiglander lenses when I compare the f1.2 autos we have been talking about.

Tony
Thanks for the explanation, Tony.
Your best option are the AF 1.2 OLYs then or perhaps the PL 42,5/1.2
I don’t know of any faster AF lenses than those. Someone else perhaps ?
Kind regards.

This was posted ages ago by mazzer but could someone tell me what this is? I did not realise these boosters worked on lenses like a Sigma Zoom.

Wonder if I should be selling my Sigma 18-35 f1.8 which I use with the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra combo to achieve approx 13mm - 25mm f1.2 constant aperture zoom.

And presumably it then becomes non auto focus?

Tony

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This was posted ages ago by mazzer but could someone tell me what this is? I did not realise these boosters worked on lenses like a Sigma Zoom.

Wonder if I should be selling my Sigma 18-35 f1.8 which I use with the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra combo to achieve approx 13mm - 25mm f1.2 constant aperture zoom.

And presumably it then becomes non auto focus?

Tony
The boosters, both the Metabones and the much cheaper Viltrox EF-M2 (similar image quality to the Metabones), work with the fast Sigma zooms and if the lens is EF mount, it's also supposed to work with AF plus transfer of all other electronics information.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jorgen,

I'll do some reading. There is quite a long thread on DPR.

Tony
From an optical point of view, I can strongly recommend the Viltrox. I don't know about the elctronics though, since I've only used it with additional F- and OM-mount adapters and lenses.

If I use one it will be with something like the Sigma Zoom

About an hour ago I ordered the 25mm 1.2 and I have the 42.5 wide aperture - so I am doing as much as I can with primes to get a short depth of focus.

But it would be nice to have a zoom doing the same thing if it worked with AF.

Tony

The 25mm f1.2 arrived this morning.

I think it will be just what I want to bring back the bokeh and will try to post some pix later in the week.

Tony

bensonga

Picked up my Oly 25/1.2 lens from local shop Stewarts Photo today after work. Looking forward to giving it a try this weekend.

Gary

bensonga

First test shot with the 25/1.2 lens. I wish we had a cat or dog in the house to take a picture of, but this black bear coffee mug was close at hand.

I received it about 30 years ago in a "White Elephant" gift exchange. This mug has served as a convenient pencil/pen holder for many years. Shot at very near the minimum focus distance and wide open at f1.2 (of course!).

In hindsight, I should have dusted it off before taking the picture, but on the other hand, you can see how well the E-M1.1 and 25/1.2 captures even fine dust particles. :ROTFL:

Very nice bokeh. I'm sure the overall effect will look more pleasing when/if I take some more interesting pictures with this fast lens.

Gary

E-M1.1, 25/1.2, ISO 250, 1/60th at f1.2