The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

F1.2 - the fast lane

bensonga

It rained here last night. Since the garage is full of motorcycles and bicycles, my car is parked outside during the summer.

I'm very happy with the close focusing capability of this lens.

E-M1.1, 25/1.2 at f1.2

bensonga

I often like to create B&W versions of some color images. These were converted to B&W with SilverEfex Pro.

Both the color and B&W versions look good printed on a metallic paper (Polar Pearl Metallic by Red River Paper).

Gary

I photographed an event on Saturday with no zoom but my two E-M5 bodies mounted with the 25mm and the 42.5mm f1.2 primes.

I did post individual shots here last night but another photographer said it might be more helpful to see where the short depth of field also caused problems. Sometimes someone in a group does go out of focus. Does this matter? Maybe not? You folk are the best judge.

I am travelling at the moment and cannot access my FTP to change some links. I will do so when I return in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime I will say I was lucky in having excellent light but I also feel that the use of these wide aperture primes added a lot to the quality of the images.

Tony

Last edited:
The boosters, both the Metabones and the much cheaper Viltrox EF-M2 (similar image quality to the Metabones), work with the fast Sigma zooms and if the lens is EF mount, it's also supposed to work with AF plus transfer of all other electronics information.
I'm tempted towards the Viltrox and the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 with the Canon EF mount.

Does anyone know whether the electronics such as AF and AE work with the Oly E-M5 mark 2?

I have looked at the Vitrox web site but it does not list the 18-35 Sigma.

I was thinking of buying the Oly 7-14 f 2.8 but the above combo is at least £100 cheaper and the appeal of f 1.2 instead of f 2.8 makes it a no brainer.

Tony

I promised I'd post some shots from the evening event I photographed with my 42.5 and 25 f 1.2 lenses.
Above each frame is the lens length.

Tony

Bad news with the Viltrox and my E-M5 mk 2.

When I fit it the LED goes off and stays off.

I have puzzled out that there is a pin in the lens socket of the M5 and when it is pushed in it turns off the LED. On a normal lens there is a hole and when the lens is fully fitted that pin drops into the hole and the LED comes on again.

With my Viltrox either the hole is too shallow or it is not in precisely the right place.

At the moment I am arguing with the eBay vendor that it is a lens problem. I claim it can't be as there are clips on YouTube where people fit a Viltrox to a camera before they add the lens and one can see a live LED - albeit with an unresolved image as there is no lens attached.

Boring - but presumably solveable.

EDIT.

Could some kind soul with the EF-M2 Viltrox help me by fixing it to their m43 camera without a lens and tell me if the LED goes off or stays on. I know the image on the screen will be unresolved. My problem is that once my Viltrox is fitted to the camera body the LED is killed.

Tony

Last edited:
What a palaver but I managed to get the Viltrox EF-M2 to work.

It turned out to be nothing to do with that pin and I think my problem was due to getting the right firmware installed. Whether it comes with any at all is questionable. There are instructions findable on Google and in the end I got version 3.1 installed and working.

I have yet to check the infinity focus but in the meantime will post a couple of pix shot with the f1.8 Sigma registering F1.2. Not the most interesting shots but proof that the Viltrox works and it is great now to have an F1.2 wide angle zoom for less than 600 UKP.

Four more with the Viltrox and Sigma on the M5 mk 2.

I can't remember who used the combo around here but, gosh, it is quite a weight to carry around for any length of time. I will not be selling my 7-14 f4 and will keep it for when I have a long shoot and plenty of light. But the combo will be smashing for indoor avalable light.

A few rehearsal shots with the 42.5 F1.2.

Lots at around 5,000 ASA to trick the movement - sorry about the noise the lighting was pretty grim. But I do think working at 1.2 and the short depth of focus does help make them more into pictures rather than simple records of an event.

Tony
London SW6