The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

F1.2 - the fast lane

mazor

Rumour has it a whole host of f1.2 lenses are to be announced by Olympus any time soon.

We already have the 25, but a 12, 17 and 45 are in the works seemingly.

Well, according to 43rumors that is: We expect Olympus to announce these three prime PRO lenses and a zoom lens and the E-M10III on August 31.

Better start saving up right now ... :rolleyes:

:watch:
exciting times.

Wonder if I should be selling my Sigma 18-35 f1.8 which I use with the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra combo to achieve approx 13mm - 25mm f1.2 constant aperture zoom.

neilvan

That's the first I heard about the 12mm f1.2, thanks for heads up.

I am still waiting for a 100mm f2/2.8 1:1 macro, maybe one day... :rolleyes:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not bad - two out of three: M.ZUIKO Digital ED 45mm F1.2 PRO and M.ZUIKO Digital ED 17mm F1.2 PRO

I wonder how my PL 42,5/1.2 and 15/1.7 fare against Oly's 45/1.2 and 17/1.2 ...
It will be interesting to see how this develops. Knowing my own taste when it comes to lenses, I think I might light the two PL lenses more than the Zuiko varieties, although I'm sure the latter are better from an objective point of view. It's the Leica way vs. the Olympus way.

What I do notice on the usability side is:

- The PL 42.5mm offers dual IS on Panasonic bodies.
- The PL lenses have aperture rings (that work on Panasonic bodies).
- The PL 15mm is much cheaper, smaller and lighter, but also a stop slower.
- Personally, I like the Leica inspired, simplistic design of the PL lenses, but that's personal.

From what I see in samples, Olympus has done a fantastic job with these two lenses, and on an E-M1 body, they are clearly the ones to have. What I do find a bit worrying though is the following illustration:

It's the GX8 with the two new Zuiko lenses on the left and the D610 with Nikkor 35 and 85mm f/1.8 on the right. While I don't doubt that the Zuikos are better than the Nikkors in most ways, the same can probably be said about the D610 sensor vs. the one in the GX8 and any other m4/3 camera. It is after all 4 times as large. The Nikkor lenses are less than half the price and much lighter, making the weight of the combos comparable, but not the price.

These are totally different technologies, and I've come to the conclusion, at least for now, that I need both systems. That means I'm not really a candidate for the two new lenses. That's mostly for those who shoot m4/3 only.

Godfrey

Very nice to see Olympus producing such lovely new lenses for their mFT system! My current needs are such that I'll not be buying any, but the fact that they're there if I decide I need to re-up on mFT gear is a plus. I like options. :)

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
These new 1.2 lenses ensure me that I made the right decision going full m43 (with Olympus) at least for the next while. I loved my Fuji, especially the 100-400, but the rest of the lens lineup - while great - did not put me off my seat any longer - I could not care less about boring 2.0 primes anymore :cool:

In Olympus land this is much more interesting now and the current PRO lenses are covering most of my needs with highest quality. The 1.2/45 is already on my immediate wish list!

I might add another system later, but at least it needs to be FF and I still cannot get friends with the current mirrorless Sony alternatives, although they look stunning. And mirrorless FF Nikon - well whenever it comes it will take years to mature - but I am photographing now ;)

henningw

I now have a number of the Olympus Pro lenses, and while all are very good optically and mechanically, they are also all very large. The 7-14/2.8 is huge, and therefore is now supplanted by the 7.5mm f/2 Laowa for most of my shooting. I use the 12-100/4 a lot, but that lens is also as large as a general purpose 24-105/4 FF lens (while having both a greater range and better performance, of course). It's just that the size benefits of the m4/3 is largely lost, and why shoot m4/3 if not to gain a size advantage?

Leica has always maintained that producing an extremely good lens is not all that hard, as long as there are no constraints on size or cost. As soon as you constrain one factor, the other goes up. Unfortunately with the recent Olympus lenses, the size has grown to such an extent that I am no longer interested in many of their offerings.

I like the EM-1 mkII body, but even there I often leave it behind and just take the Panasonic GM5, 12-32 and 35-100 lenses for it along with the Laowa 7.5. Those, in total, are not far off in size, price or weight of any individual Olympus f/1.2 lens.

Knorp

Thanks Bart.
They need to learn to pronounce bokeh the Japanese way.:facesmack:
Emphasis on the last syllable. :grin:
I like my Nocticron and its sharpness! :thumbs:
Yup, I’ve no choice either: still pretty happy with my Nocti.
Above all, I like the ring of it better ... :loco:
Now I’m sure the Oly is great too.

:chug: