The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Newbie question: what is "machine" for?

pentacon6

Hi all,
I am a New Panasonic G1 user now and find a lot of amazing post here. Now I have a C-mount already and would like to try some TV lens on it. There is a term "machine" or "machining" for the lens. May some one explain why those TV Lens need to be machined and how can it be done. I have searched the old post but can't find some related "how to" topic of this matter. Would someone give me some idea of the technique that let my DIY myself?

Thanks for all of your sharing. :salute:

Paul,
from Hong Kong

iiiNelson

Machining is another term for fabricating or physically modifying. In this case they are modifying the mount to get it to work on the G1. How much modifying needed would be determined by the lens type and someone else could chime in on mount specific specifications (say that 3 times fast.)

pentacon6

Thanks HiredArm.
I do some research again and find that some said some lens need machining to reach infinity focus or let the aperture can be used in full range. Should all TV lens need this kind of modification? Their specifications show the iris and focus are all manual. That's the main point I can't get the full picture of the problem.

Hope this can explain my concern.

R

Ranger 9

Monza, how should people submit contributions to the spreadsheet?

monza

Ranger, updates can be sent via PM to monza or milapse, or email g1adapters at gmail.com (which is listed on the sheet.)