The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G9

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm much luckier than you guys. I just want that 200mm f/2.8 :grin:

Remember my "No 150mm" thread? This is the solution.

As for the size of the G9, the top display and (probably) the GH5 battery require a large camera. This looks like a real pro workhorse. It will be very difficult to resist.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

As for the size of the G9, the top display and (probably) the GH5 battery require a large camera. This looks like a real pro workhorse. It will be very difficult to resist.
I very much prefer the larger size of this camera. And the 2.8/200 might be a perfect lens aired with it.

Knorp

Permission to disagree here: I'm luckier than you for I do have a 150mm ... :angel:

k-hawinkler

Permission to disagree here: I'm luckier than you for I do have a 150mm ... :angel:
Me too Bart - 150/2.0 and EC-14, EC-20. :grin:
Resulting in 210/2.8 and 300/4.
But then I also have the 300/2.8.
Now a 200/2.0 would have been enticing.

i really want an E-M1.3 - much improved.
My E-M1.2 seems to switch inadvertently all the time to the focus point positioning panel. Annoying yes, but still useable. Will have to send it in though.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nothing to say really. I read the specs, saw the video. The people at Panasonic apparently read forums. Now it's just a question about when I have the monies available.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Nothing to say really. I read the specs, saw the video. The people at Panasonic apparently read forums. Now it's just a question about when I have the monies available.
Feel quite the same!

What intrigues me is not only this camera, but also the wonderful PanaLeica DG lenses, that again work best on a native Panasonic body like the G9 because of IS / Dual IS as well as the dedicated aperture rings that keep functionality.

Definitely great to be in m43 land! And it will get an even better place to be I am convinced!

Knorp

Feel quite the same!

What intrigues me is not only this camera, but also the wonderful PanaLeica DG lenses, that again work best on a native Panasonic body like the G9 because of IS / Dual IS as well as the dedicated aperture rings that keep functionality.

Definitely great to be in m43 land! And it will get an even better place to be I am convinced!
A better place perhaps, but definitely a more expensive place.
We're getting close to the 43 prices of old ...

The Panasonic LEICA H-ES200 Lens will go on sale in December 2017 and will RRP at £2,699 (€3,099).

SrMphoto

A very interesting announcement by Panasonic! Love my M1m2 and the Olympus lenses, but it is great to see an m43 camera with a 3.68m-Dot OLED Viewfinder (similar spec to A9's viewfinder) and finally an LCD on the top!

The main advantage of m43 is currently the low weight of great lenses. The 200/2.8 is a bit heavy (1.2kg) but still manageable. Do not see the need for heavier m43 lenses (e.g., 200mm/2.0, 300mm/2.8, etc).

Looking forward to seeing how AF performs.

Unfortunately, to get most out of a system, it seems that we should be using Panasonic bodies with Panasonic lenses and Olympus bodies with Olympus lenses.

k-hawinkler

If you pre-order from
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/...tm_content=Retail&utm_term=panasonic-preorder
the prices are:

Panasonic Leica DG Elmarit 200mm f/2.8 POWER O.I.S. Lens .......................... $2,997.99
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera (Body Only) $1,697.99
Panasonic DMW-BGG9 Battery Grip ................................................................ $349.99
Panasonic DMW-BTC13 Battery Charger ........................................................... $49.99
Panasonic DMW-EC4 Eyecup ........................................................................... $19.99
Panasonic DMW-TC14 1.4x Teleconverter ...................................... Price not yet available
Panasonic DMW-TC20 2x Teleconverter ........................................................... $599.99

It looks to me the camera by itself is a steal, no? :grin:

By comparison:

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f/4 IS PRO Lens ............................... ............ $2,499.00
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera (Body Only) $1,799.00
without instant discount ................................................................................... $1,999.00

Does anybody know the electronic shutter speed of the G9?

Last edited:

DougDolde

I'm having a hard time giving up 80 megapixels for a D8)0 or A7r III even though they're better in most respects and are much more capable

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It looks to me the camera by itself is a steal, no? :grin:
It's indeed a steal, and a total no-brainer, the same way the Nikon D500 is a steal. Although I would have preferred the GX8 form factor (but the GX8 would never room the larger battery), this is such an obvious upgrade, that it's not even up for consideration. I have the 7-14, 12-35, 35-100 Panasonic trio, and this camera will make those lenses look even better. I'll still use Nikon FX for portrait and low light work, but this camera seems to be capable of anything else. Absolutely anything else.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You seem not to be alone with this opinion: Lumix G9 - the Nikon D500 killer
I use both Panasonic and Nikon. For some applications, optical viewfinders and PD AF still have a place. If I was making a living from sports photography, I would have a G9 and a D500. For portraits, I use a D610. An optical viewfinder brings me closer to the subject. An EVF can be as good as it will, but it's still an electronic reproduction of reality.

k-hawinkler

How would a Panasonic camera that uses DFD focusing fair with, say, an Olympus FT lens, say, 150/2 that was built for PDAF?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
How would a Panasonic camera that uses DFD focusing fair with, say, an Olympus FT lens, say, 150/2 that was built for PDAF?
From what I understand it should not work properly, because for DFD Panasonic uses a special lens profile of their (Panasonic) lenses that allows the system to detect how a subject looks if it is out of focus and then take action to bring it in focus again. Since the Olympus 150/2 is not in their profile database this should not work - at least this is how I understood DFD. But I might be completely wrong ....

ptomsu

Workshop Member
An EVF can be as good as it will, but it's still an electronic reproduction of reality.
I disagree fully.

It is specifically this electronic reproduction of reality that gives a huge advantage, as it shows the image exactly as the sensor will take it. Sure it needs advanced EFV technology like high resolution, color accuracy, almost no lag, etc., but if this all is guaranteed then it works brilliantly. At least for me!

I guess it uses then only the normal contrast AF system without the help of the DFD communication & database. But this just a guess. Maybe Panasonic is also collecting bokeh data from Olympus lenses to use it for their DFD system?