Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic G9

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Panasonic G9

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    There is simply no comparison here :-) The GM5 fits in a jacket pocket with a small Panny or Olympus prime without thinking about it. The G9 just doesn't do that :-)

That said, yes, in its class the G9 is not bad per se, but it's decidedly bigger than the GM5, GX85, GX850. And that's fine. Unfortunately that's what I want for my street work. If I was shooting weddings regularly, I would def. have pre-ordered the G9 by now :-)
    Of course, I quite realise - I've just been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to handle the G9 and 12-60 one handed for long periods.

This is the main reason I am sitting with an X-E3 now (though I get an extra bump up in IQ and Fuji lenses are great). But ultimately I see I prefer small. The minute a GM9 is announced, I am back. :-) Even Fuji X-E3 with the new Fuji primes feels a bit bigger than a GM5 with the m43rds primes, except with the XF27 F2.8 which makes it a bit "Ricoh GRish."

Let's add a bit more to that too - Dual true UHS-II speed ports. AFC to full f20fps. Super resolution to 80 MP. IBIS to 6.5 stops. Vastly superior video of any camera in that price range. Cheaper! Honestly I don't get it.

What you said of the UI which I whole heartedly agree with to me is reason alone (in fact a key reason I have had such a love/hate relationship with the PenF).

Not that an EM1 MKII is a bad camera per se (well I have my UI issues), but I just can't understand why the G9 didn't get their Gold.

- Ricardo

I got rid of the Pen because I couldn't be doing with the UI, and although the EM1ii wasn't so bad, finally I had been spoiled by the joystick on the SL and was fedup turning a dial to move the focus point (and somehow the touch focus with the camera to your eye was patchy at best).

I was just mentioning a couple of things off the top of my head . . also, they were so enthusiastic to start with - seems to me that 'somebody' told them to take a step back and the baseball match shoot was their tool for doing just that (I do like a good conspiracy)

Best
    Jono

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot the X-E3 side to side with the CL, and that was not my experience. Also the X-E3 can track with AF-C, I don't think the CL will have the same luck (no phase detection). Finally most reviews of the X-E3 have pointed out how fast the autofocus is, while the CL the AF speed has been described as not slow, but not as fast as better APS-C contemporaries.

One thing to keep in mind- a new firmware upgrade has come out for the X-T2 to make its AFC better, as the X-E3 introduced the latest algorithms for Fuji cameras.

Important caveat also on the comparison you made- I have noticed telephoto lenses in general, are trickier to AF than shorter lenses. And lenses with slower apertures tend to "focus better" because you have a less thin DOF plane.

I was using the CL with the new 18 prime, so I also needed to check a couple of other lenses, but my XF 27 F2.8 / X-E3 was clearly beating it.

- Ricardo
    Well, the 18 prime is certainly not the fastest to focus on the CL . . and you could be right about the firmware update which was after I had the X-T2 I think. I was using all the different lenses on the CL - some faster than others, but the zooms are quick.

Tracking and continuous focus isn't my bag, so I didn't do any comparisons - no doubt the Fuji would have been quicker (though why the CL doesn't use the DeFocus stuff on the Panasonic is beyond me!).

The lenses are so important - I also had a D500 for a few weeks - with the kit zoom (which was great - but didn't focus fast) . . but truth be told, if you want the wonderful quick focusing which it's certainly capable of, then you need to put on the pro full-frame lenses . . . in which case you might as well get a D850!

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I am not surprised. Leica has always come out on top and for very good reasons!
    I think we all get it. You’re not happy with Leica or the relationship Mr. Slack has with them. His professionalism is going to require that he not publicly make scathing comments about their products publicly but maybe raise them as points of concern for some sorts of photographers. Different people have different agreements with different companies but that’s sort of besides the point. His words are highly likely to be true of how he feels about Leica camera’s that he uses.

I’m not a moderator and I do feel that you generally add a tremendous amount to pretty much every forum... even as a highly critical photographer... whether directed at Sony, Fuji, Leica, etc. I hope you continue to do this on the forum personally but I can see how it may rub some the wrong way too.

Take Mr. Slacks’s reviews as one opinion and self evaluate for your needs if able... it’s how I decided the M240 wasn’t for me ultimately though he took nice pics with it.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please do not use me as an excuse to please anyone else. I remember distinctly from a few years ago that the NEX-7 did not cut it while the TL that debuted (and used for comparisons) did well.

I bought Jono’s NEX-7. Still have it. It still is working just fine.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am not surprised. Leica has always come out on top and for very good reasons!
    Touché

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    I think we all get it. You’re not happy with Leica or the relationship Mr. Slack has with them. His professionalism is going to require that he not publicly make scathing comments about their products publicly but maybe raise them as points of concern for some sorts of photographers. Different people have different agreements with different companies but that’s sort of besides the point. His words are highly likely to be true of how he feels about Leica camera’s that he uses.

I’m not a moderator and I do feel that you generally add a tremendous amount to pretty much every forum... even as a highly critical photographer... whether directed at Sony, Fuji, Leica, etc. I hope you continue to do this on the forum personally but I can see how it may rub some the wrong way too.

Take Mr. Slacks’s reviews as one opinion and self evaluate for your needs if able... it’s how I decided the M240 wasn’t for me ultimately though he took nice pics with it.
    Uhhh, Vivek has his point here - In terms of my agreement with Leica, I can make that clear - I signed an NDA contract, which means that I can't talk about cameras /lenses until the end of the embargo date (same as any reviewer). I interpret this to say that I can't criticise faults which existed before the embargo date - but I can certainly talk about faults afterwards. The CL is obviously really under-specified in comparison to most of the cameras discussed here:

No weather sealing
    No IBIS
    1 Card Slot
    (off the top of my head - I could go on)

I do point these out in my write up - I doubt if Vivek read it (I certainly wouldn't in his position). On the other hand I do really like the CL, honestly . . . . but I still haven't decided whether I like it enough to buy one myself. I've had it, together with the TL2 and a complete set of TL lenses on loan for 9 months or so now - on Monday they all go back to Leica.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping the G9.

Worth mentioning (perhaps) that Vivek and I have completely different criteria for liking a camera - he is incredibly interested in image quality and in value for money. I'm much more interested in the shooting experience (because it seems to me that, for my purposes, all the modern cameras produce good enough image quality). I think they're both valid points of view.

In that context I still prefer the T to the Nex 7 - I really tried to like the Sony cameras, I bought several of them, I didn't like the interface, and I didn't think they worked well with M lenses (and I haven't changed my mind).

What I will say is that I've never had a conversation with Leica about how I express myself online - they appear to be entirely uninterested in it, as far as they're concerned I'm a camera tester - and they don't seem to put people into two boxes.

Anyway - I quite understand Vivek's scepticism (although it does make me a bit sad).

best

Just this guy you know
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Please do not use me as an excuse to please anyone else. I remember distinctly from a few years ago that the NEX-7 did not cut it while the TL that debuted (and used for comparisons) did well.

I bought Jono’s NEX-7. Still have it. It still is working just fine.
    I’m pleasing of anyone man. Somethings just don’t necessarily warrant constant repeating is all.

I understand your feeling and divested from Leica for many personal reasons.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But Hey
    This thread is supposed to be about the G9
    Which seems to me superficially to be a fantastic camera.

I haven't even begun to explore the possibilities and complexities, but I really like using the camera - the UI seems to me to have been very carefully thought out, and I really do appreciate having a top plate LCD together with labelled buttons which you press and dial to change things (WB, ISO, +/- etc). Having been shooting with a D500 recently it seems to me that they've taken the good parts of the modern dSLR UI and combined them with the good parts of the mirrorless camera UK.

The EVF is wonderful and the speed of operation is just fantastic . . . . combine this with what seems to be an almost perfect grip (for my small/medium hands) and a rational and well thought out menu system (even if there's 863 options I don't need / want) and it makes for a really great shooting experience.

Now all we need is a bit of weather to try it out properly (it's unremittingly grey here).

best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Through the glass darkly
    G9 with PL 12-60 2000 ISO 60mm f4

Just this guy you know
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve always liked the natural color response from Panasonic cameras. Looks like this one still has “it.”

Post Thanks / Like

I have pre ordered a G9 here in Australia shipping was supposed to be mid January but I have received an email from my supplier to say it may now not arrive till sometime in February. I can be patient but I do have a couple of events coming up that would be perfect to test the G9, hopefully Panasonic can surprise us and get them out a bit earlier.
    So to those of you that have them now please keep posting your thoughts and images and any useful settings or tips that might come in handy.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Touché

Uhhh, Vivek has his point here - In terms of my agreement with Leica, I can make that clear - I signed an NDA contract, which means that I can't talk about cameras /lenses until the end of the embargo date (same as any reviewer). I interpret this to say that I can't criticise faults which existed before the embargo date - but I can certainly talk about faults afterwards. The CL is obviously really under-specified in comparison to most of the cameras discussed here:

No weather sealing
    No IBIS
    1 Card Slot
    (off the top of my head - I could go on)

I do point these out in my write up - I doubt if Vivek read it (I certainly wouldn't in his position). On the other hand I do really like the CL, honestly . . . . but I still haven't decided whether I like it enough to buy one myself. I've had it, together with the TL2 and a complete set of TL lenses on loan for 9 months or so now - on Monday they all go back to Leica.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping the G9.

Worth mentioning (perhaps) that Vivek and I have completely different criteria for liking a camera - he is incredibly interested in image quality and in value for money. I'm much more interested in the shooting experience (because it seems to me that, for my purposes, all the modern cameras produce good enough image quality). I think they're both valid points of view.

In that context I still prefer the T to the Nex 7 - I really tried to like the Sony cameras, I bought several of them, I didn't like the interface, and I didn't think they worked well with M lenses (and I haven't changed my mind).

What I will say is that I've never had a conversation with Leica about how I express myself online - they appear to be entirely uninterested in it, as far as they're concerned I'm a camera tester - and they don't seem to put people into two boxes.

Anyway - I quite understand Vivek's scepticism (although it does make me a bit sad).

best
    We could have this discussion about watches, you know, about the Casio and the Seiko and the Citizen, and they are all so techically advanced and so full of perfect, little features that hardly anyone will bother to figure out all of them. Then there's the Rolex, more expensive than the others and with less features, but it shows the time too, and the mechanics inside are to die for. The owner of the Rolex is probably the happiest of the bunch, and the others will forever tell him about the features he should be missing and the money he's been wasting.

We are way past the technical perfection needed to take good photos. If I had the money easilly available, I'd probably buy the CL or another Leica, but like so many, I've become restless in this hyperactive world. I don't have the patience anymore to wait past 17 other camera releases to save enough money for the little German monster.

So I've gone for something that I can understand, the ergonomically best solution, which in my case is the Panasonic. And when Panasonic launches something like the G9, it's hard to walk past it without being tempted to pick it up and keep it. I know I should, and I probably will.

We are btw. discussing some of the same fundamentals in the D850 thread. More or less off topic too, but with many interesting, and sometimes contradictive, viewpoints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

“Rolex ..the mecahnics inside are to die for”

Sir, at the expense of repeating myself, I ask, how do you know? There is no Rolex or Leica to die for or worth losing money over. If you do not believe me, plunk in the money and experience it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

“Rolex ..the mecahnics inside are to die for”

Sir, at the expense of repeating myself, I ask, how do you know? There is no Rolex or Leica to die for or worth losing money over. If you do not believe me, plunk in the money and experience it yourself.
    That depends on what gets your puls to increase. Personally, I would never buy a Rolex. I don't like the design, and I hate the image they convey. I had a fake gold Rolex with fake "diamonds" many decades ago, just to scare people off. I do like their sister brand Tudor, though, a lot, particularly the Pelagos. I've studied it in detail. Yes, there are reasons why it's expensive. It's not worth the asking price of course, but much more than a Casio. Will I ever buy one? Probably not, the same way I'll probably never buy a Leica. These companies sell dreams, not products. The fact that the products have certain qualities that some people desire doesn't change that. When my current plastic fantastic do-it-all watch thing sucumbs to extensive abuse, I'll probably end up with something similar, something that works... for me.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 12th January 2018 at 20:09.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But Hey
    This thread is supposed to be about the G9....
    Agreed....and thank you for sharing some G9 pics with us Jono.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

OK, a single photograph from the my recently acquired G9 + the Lumix Leica 200/2.8.

I'm posting a resized 100% crop but you can click through and inspect the full sized 100% crop (1mb 1478x1108).

So far, I am very impressed with the G9. But I am even more impressed with the 200/2.8. I've only used it for one afternoon in very dim light but the sharpness wide open at f2.8, centre of the frame (which is what bird photographers generally only use) is quite astounding. To get the definition of the feathers on a bird at 1/80 second is outstanding, imho. Indeed, if someone had said to me a m43rds camera could do this, vs a D500 or 700dMkII I would not have believed them. m43rds as a birding rig has finally come of age, imho (even though I have been using it as such for the last 7 or so years).

Now I understand why the 200/2.8 has such a high asking price. My only negative feedback is that it is heavy (1245g), much heavier than the 100-400 (985g) - and I don't recall that when I was testing one at an in-store event a couple of months ago.

I need to do some comparison testing with the 100-400 but I'm not sure now how much use that lens will get, for birding - at least.

iso200 200mm f2.8 1/80

This is the original frame - I estimate I was about 30-40 feet from the bird.

Last edited by biglouis; 12th January 2018 at 23:22.
    -----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another example of a cropped frame using the G9+200/2.8. You can click through to the full sized crop. iso200 f2.8 1/160

The feather detail at f2.8 is outstanding. The 100-400 would turn in a good result but a lot of the surface would be indistinct. The fact that this lens can do this wide open and at 1/160 is excellent. I'm thinking equivalent to the best Canon glass for birding, given the samples I have seen of the 300mm and 400mm pro Canon lenses.

The original uncropped frame:
    -----
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Louis for the images.
    The question in my mind is, how Olympus 300/4 Pro without or with MC-14 images under similar circumstances would compare?
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They’re great Louis
    I guess the real question is whether the extra reach of the 100-400 makes up for the quality of the 200?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Great results from the G9 2.8/200 combo.

Would also be interested in a direct comparison to the Olympus 4/300 Pro and TC1.4 ....

Not sure if anybody has access to both lenses?

Also how would the Only 4/300 work on a G9 body - I know there is no dual IS the but .... ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Louis for the images.
    The question in my mind is, how Olympus 300/4 Pro without or with MC-14 images under similar circumstances would compare?

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Great results from the G9 2.8/200 combo.

Would also be interested in a direct comparison to the Olympus 4/300 Pro and TC1.4 ....

Not sure if anybody has access to both lenses?

Also how would the Only 4/300 work on a G9 body - I know there is no dual IS the but .... ?
    Both good points and I was torn between the 300/4 and the 200/2.8. The decision I made is influenced by the fact I am a Panasonic shooter. If I was an Olympus shooter I would have gone with the 300/4. It is great that m43rds is shared by two (or more?) manufacturers but my advice is that for something very specialist - in my case a top-flight birding lens - then stick with the lenses made by the body manufacturer. If on the other hand you are willing to put up with some incompatibilities then both makers create great lenses and as I've stated elsewhere I am not giving up my Oly 7-14/2.8 Pro any time soon - even if there is now a Panasonic competitor.

They’re great Louis
    I guess the real question is whether the extra reach of the 100-400 makes up for the quality of the 200?
    The simple answer for a birder is, no. Although someone like Daniel Cox (Natural Exposures) would disagree with me as he maintains the flexibility of a zoom outweighs the loss of IQ. Even though I believe the 200/2.8 to be a superior piece of glass - the 100-400 is a phenomenal lens and well worth every penny (especially as it now has cash back in the UK). You only have to look at the Birds album in my Flickr stream to see some impressive (even if I do say it myself) bird captures with the 100-400. I'm fortunate to be able to afford both (just!) and I do not make investment decisions like this lightly - this is probably the only time in my life that I will buy such an expensive lens but then I also expect it to provide me photographs for a minimum of five years.

Incidentally, my GH2 body with the 100-300 lasted me just as long and it was only a foolish decision on my part to sell it to pay for Sony kit (which did not last long) that had me selling it in the first place. Otherwise, I could still be photographing birds with it now (and again there are some excellent results with that combination in my Flickr stream).

Thanks for the feedback.

LouisB
    -----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another grey day!
    No time for playing with a new camera. Still, I did go out for a couple of hours this afternoon, and although I didn't really get any good shots, I was really impressed by the AF and IS on the 100-400 lens. I'm pretty impressed by the IQ - even at 400mm and ISO 3200. Carrying the camera with the lens in one hand for two hours presented no problems, the grip shape is really good.

Thanks for the information on the 200 Louis - I think it's not for me (at least, not for the time being). I have the excellent 90-280 on the SL, and the extra reach matters to me more than the absolute image quality.

Here are two shots - both at ISO 3200

Matty

Caspar

All the best
    Jono

Just this guy you know
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Both good points and I was torn between the 300/4 and the 200/2.8. The decision I made is influenced by the fact I am a Panasonic shooter. If I was an Olympus shooter I would have gone with the 300/4. It is great that m43rds is shared by two (or more?) manufacturers but my advice is that for something very specialist - in my case a top-flight birding lens - then stick with the lenses made by the body manufacturer. If on the other hand you are willing to put up with some incompatibilities then both makers create great lenses and as I've stated elsewhere I am not giving up my Oly 7-14/2.8 Pro any time soon - even if there is now a Panasonic competitor.

The simple answer for a birder is, no. Although someone like Daniel Cox (Natural Exposures) would disagree with me as he maintains the flexibility of a zoom outweighs the loss of IQ. Even though I believe the 200/2.8 to be a superior piece of glass - the 100-400 is a phenomenal lens and well worth every penny (especially as it now has cash back in the UK). You only have to look at the Birds album in my Flickr stream to see some impressive (even if I do say it myself) bird captures with the 100-400. I'm fortunate to be able to afford both (just!) and I do not make investment decisions like this lightly - this is probably the only time in my life that I will buy such an expensive lens but then I also expect it to provide me photographs for a minimum of five years.

Incidentally, my GH2 body with the 100-300 lasted me just as long and it was only a foolish decision on my part to sell it to pay for Sony kit (which did not last long) that had me selling it in the first place. Otherwise, I could still be photographing birds with it now (and again there are some excellent results with that combination in my Flickr stream).

Thanks for the feedback.

LouisB
    By far the best images I have seen, taken with the PL 100-400, are by Tony Markle alias Imagemaster on FM. Lately Tony has switched from m4/3 to Nikon gear, D500 and 200-500 mm lens.

Having myself never used it, but looking at Tony’s images, my sense is that PL lens performs best at relatively short distances.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

@Jono - hey, grey days (overcast) are great for photography! :-) Portraits and soft nice light. And your camera is weather sealed! Get out! :-)

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

By far the best images I have seen, taken with the PL 100-400, are by Tony Markle alias Imagemaster on FM. Lately Tony has switched from m4/3 to Nikon gear, D500 and 200-500 mm lens.

Having myself never used it, but looking at Tony’s images, my sense is that PL lens performs best at relatively short distances.
    +1 I can confirm this. Up to 300mm all is pretty well, beyond 300mm only at shorter distances I had decent results.
    Especially details in feathers were lost. Well, at least with my copy of the PL 100-400.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny that - I had a d500 for a month, shooting with the 200-500 and the 80-400 . . . And I just switched it over to PL stuff. I guess the Nikon is better for tracking BIF . . . But for most of my stuff I’m using single AF, and I reckon the G9 is much better for this.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    +1 I can confirm this. Up to 300mm all is pretty well, beyond 300mm only at shorter distances I had decent results.
    Especially details in feathers were lost. Well, at least with my copy of the PL 100-400.
    Ah! That would explain why I’ve been surprised at how good 400 is . . Because all the shots have been taken relatively close (misty and grey here).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@Jono - hey, grey days (overcast) are great for photography! :-) Portraits and soft nice light. And your camera is weather sealed! Get out! :-)

- Ricardo
    Ah Ricardo - I do get out every day (2 hours today), but there’s no portraits (except the dogs) around here - it’s path photography, not street! The wildlife is mostly sleeping and the world is drab . . I usually do best shooting black and white with the M10 and 75 ‘cron...... But I did have fun today.

How good is the PL weathersealing? It looks good, but I’ve not seen anyone write about it (Olympus was just stellar). It rains a lot here!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever consider that at 400mm and longer distances we talk about lot of air between lens and subject - that usually does not improve sharpness! You would get a similar effect with any lens - also Nikon and Canon glass ...
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Did you ever consider that at 400mm and longer distances we talk about lot of air between lens and subject - that usually does not improve sharpness! You would get a similar effect with any lens - also Nikon and Canon glass ...
    That’s a different scenario. I had in mind fairly short as compared to just a bit longer, not really very far though. For large distances turbulent air flow indeed creates horrible viewing conditions, no doubt.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s a different scenario. I had in mind fairly short as compared to just a bit longer, not really very far though. For large distances turbulent air flow indeed creates horrible viewing conditions, no doubt.
    +1 really, turbulent air flow was not my major concern. I'm talking 8 to 12 mtr distance shooting tiny birds like wrens, robins, finches, starlings or sparrows.
    Up to 3 or 5 mtr it was alright. But you know, perhaps I underestimated the challenge of controlling 800mm focal length ...
    Last edited by Knorp; 13th January 2018 at 11:27.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 really, turbulent air flow was not my major concern. I'm talking 8 to 12 mtr distance shooting tiny birds like wrens, robins, finches, starlings or sparrows.
    Up tot 3 or 5 mtr it was alright. But you know, perhaps I underestimated the challenge of controlling 800mm focal length ...
    Bart thanks, I share your observations.
    In contrast, the Olympus 300/4 Pro doesn't exhibit these deficiencies.
    With best regards, K-H.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had in mind fairly short as compared to just a bit longer, not really very far though.
    You couldn't be just a touch more precise with that statement could you K-H?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

On another more serious note: I found my RW2 files are not recognised by C1.
    Now I'm stuck to the JPEGs till the next release ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    You couldn't be just a touch more precise with that statement could you K-H?
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Iridient? Or rename the extension?
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lightroom seems to work okay (sorry, you probably don’t want to deal with the devil!)

. . . Erm . . . Are we to understand that you just bought a G9 Bart?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Capture One supports RW2 files from some cameras and not others, but how they decide which one to support seems random. I can understand they don't support GFX since it might be a competitor to their P1 cameras, but files from some P&S Lumix camera such as ZS50 are also not supported whilst ZS60 is supported.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As an owner of Olympus M1mII, I am on the fence regarding G9. I like the better ergonomics of the Lumix. It took me at least two weeks to understand and set up Olympus M1mII to my expectations (and that as an owner of M5m1 & M5m2). There are many other things to like on G9: top LCD, USB charging, EVF, magnification when selecting AF focus point, etc.

However, I like Olympus lenses better. From what I have read so far about Panasonic Leica 100-400, it may not be able to meet my image quality criteria. Panasonic Leica 200mm seems great, but I could probably be also happy with the lighter Olympus 40-150/f2.8 (and 1.4TC). For longer reach there is the Olympus 300/f4 (also with 1.4 TC). The Panasonic 12-60 looks great but even more fascinating is the Olympus 12-100/f4. Sure, I could use Olympus lenses with G9, but then I would loose focusing speed and Dual-IS.

On the other hand, I really care about ergonomics.

Penny for your thoughts.

- Srdjan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    As an owner of Olympus M1mII, I am on the fence regarding G9. I like the better ergonomics of the Lumix. It took me at least two weeks to understand and set up Olympus M1mII to my expectations (and that as an owner of M5m1 & M5m2). There are many other things to like on G9: top LCD, USB charging, EVF, magnification when selecting AF focus point, etc.

However, I like Olympus lenses better. From what I have read so far about Panasonic Leica 100-400, it may not be able to meet my image quality criteria. Panasonic Leica 200mm seems great, but I could probably be also happy with the lighter Olympus 40-150/f2.8 (and 1.4TC). For longer reach there is the Olympus 300/f4 (also with 1.4 TC). The Panasonic 12-60 looks great but even more fascinating is the Olympus 12-100/f4. Sure, I could use Olympus lenses with G9, but then I would loose focusing speed and Dual-IS.

On the other hand, I really care about ergonomics.

Penny for your thoughts.

- Srdjan
    Ummm... there are only two Olympus lenses that offer dual IS with the E-M1 II and other Olympus bodies, and you've mentioned both of them. Not that much to lose if you ask me, at least not from that point of view

Post Thanks / Like

Just a couple of additional photographs from today using the G9+200/2.8. This time with the 1.4x teleconverter - which gives it a boost to 280mm (or 560mm equivalent) at f4.

The weather in the UK (and across Europe I suspect) totally sucks at present with very poor light levels. Next week there are supposed to be a couple of days with strong sunlight and I will head to the Chilterns to photograph birds for a real test of the lens.

One thing I will say is - I really like photographing with this camera. When I got my GX8, it was 'wow, this is such a comfortable camera to shoot with' - not the same with my GH5 which is a great camera but not my first choice to pick up. I'm seriously thinking now that I don't need my GX8 (and if you follow my posts you know how much I like that camera), that is how much I like the G9.

Both these photos are shot at ridiculously low speeds for wildlife. Even if the IBIS stabilises the lens with wildlife they are always moving. For birds, optimally I want 1/1000 minimum and 1/2000 if I can get it. Obviously, m43rds has an issue with noise but so far I think the G9 has maybe 1-stop better noise control than the GH5/GX8. Even so there is noise in these captures (which are RAW converted to jpeg in LR) but I know that it is at a level I can filter most of that out in pp.

I also mention the speed/noise issue because I wouldn't want to mislead you about how easy it is to capture wildlife with this camera/lens. These are the best two out of 450 images. The 20fps is a double edged sword - if you keep your finger on the button too long you can get through 40-60 captures without thinking.

As per my last post you can click through to full sized images.

iso1000 280mm f4 1/80

iso1000 280mm f4 1/60

Incidentally, even though I live in what might be classed as 'central' London - about 1 mile from the BT Tower - we have three urban foxes that visit us. More mouths to feed as my wife cannot resist them when they beg!
    -----
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Both these photos are shot at ridiculously low speeds for wildlife. Even if the IBIS stabilises the lens with wildlife they are always moving. For birds, optimally I want 1/1000 minimum and 1/2000 if I can get it. Obviously, m43rds has an issue with noise but so far I think the G9 has maybe 1-stop better noise control than the GH5/GX8. Even so there is noise in these captures (which are RAW converted to jpeg in LR) but I know that it is at a level I can filter most of that out in pp.
    Thank you for your feedback, Louis. And lucky you for having 'real' wildlife in your backyard.
    Getting good results with long tele lenses at low speeds is fantastic of course, but - and there is always a but - the problem I found is that at low speeds you must have a good deal of luck to get a reasonable sharp image if any at all.
    Shooting live gritters require the high shutter speeds you mentioned or otherwise you can shoot all day long only to end up with disappointing results. As was all to often the case for me.
    That said, at least you got these fine shots to show for ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Getting good results with long tele lenses at low speeds is fantastic of course, but - and there is always a but - the problem I found is that at low speeds you must have a good deal of luck to get a reasonable sharp image if any at all.
    Kind regards.
    Knorp, yes - of course. That is why I'm probably not going to bother much now until I have fine weather when I can shoot at 1/500 for animals like this and 1/1000 for birds. But I had to try out the lens and if it performs this well under these conditions then I expect to sparkle under better light.

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Incidentally, even though I live in what might be classed as 'central' London - about 1 mile from the BT Tower - we have three urban foxes that visit us. More mouths to feed as my wife cannot resist them when they beg!
    Lovely pictures Louis
    Isn't it ironic - we live in the depths of the Norfolk countryside, but seeing a fox close up is a very very rare occurrence! and very short lived (unless they're eating our chickens!).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely pictures Louis
    Isn't it ironic - we live in the depths of the Norfolk countryside, but seeing a fox close up is a very very rare occurrence! and very short lived (unless they're eating our chickens!).

all the best
    That does not surprise me. Urban foxes have adapted to their environment. They are well fed and less wary of humans. I've had them trot down the street in front of me in the early morning as if they own the place. Personally, I think it fantastic that a creature like this is available to me in this environment. I am also embarassed to admit we spoil them with food which is why they return to our garden so often. One year my wife was able to hand feed one with dog treats, although that is very, very rare indeed.
    -----

Post Thanks / Like

The G9 already sells for €150.- cheaper than the original list price on Amazon.de

https://www.43rumors.com/thre-first-...-panasonic-g9/

Post Thanks / Like

Another great review of the G9 - although it is in German as well, but one of the best I have seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNLfgnsuQ4

BTW that guy had the Olympus EM1.2 before and he says that the IBIS of the EM1.2 for video was even better than the DUAL IS of the G9 plus PL 12-60. Maybe Panasonic still has some way to go, but I guess the difference will not be so huge.

I think that as a pure photographers camera and/or hybrid camera (photo and video) the G9 should be the best one can buy today - especially in m43 territory.

PS: I am separately waiting for an Olympus EM1.3

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I will say is - I really like photographing with [the G9]. When I got my GX8, it was 'wow, this is such a comfortable camera to shoot with' --not the same with my GH5 which is a great camera but not my first choice to pick up. I'm seriously thinking now that I don't need my GX8 (and if you follow my posts you know how much I like that camera), that is how much I like the G9.
    While this is a happy state to be in, I should think that it thus serves you well to have both, both as a way to avoid (much) lens swapping --just reach for whichever great-feeling body holds the right lens--, and as having a back-up (which one experienced pro remarked "you will never need unless you don't have one" ). At least I know that I in ambling around (Reading, Pennsylvania, recently) will aim for things wanting some wide (24mm eq) view to another in need of 200mm concentrated image; and maybe esp. at 17^F my inclination to swap in/out lenses is small (and so though I had bodies w/12-40 & 35-100, the carried 7-14/4 went unused; had it been on a body, I likely would've found cause to use!).

-d.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, a single photograph from the my recently acquired G9 + the Lumix Leica 200/2.8.

I'm posting a resized 100% crop but you can click through and inspect the full sized 100% crop (1mb 1478x1108).

So far, I am very impressed with the G9. But I am even more impressed with the 200/2.8. I've only used it for one afternoon in very dim light but the sharpness wide open at f2.8, centre of the frame (which is what bird photographers generally only use) is quite astounding. To get the definition of the feathers on a bird at 1/80 second is outstanding, imho. Indeed, if someone had said to me a m43rds camera could do this, vs a D500 or 700dMkII I would not have believed them. m43rds as a birding rig has finally come of age, imho (even though I have been using it as such for the last 7 or so years).

Now I understand why the 200/2.8 has such a high asking price. My only negative feedback is that it is heavy (1245g), much heavier than the 100-400 (985g) - and I don't recall that when I was testing one at an in-store event a couple of months ago.

I need to do some comparison testing with the 100-400 but I'm not sure now how much use that lens will get, for birding - at least.

iso200 200mm f2.8 1/80

Excellent detail in this photo Louis. I am amazed at how good this one and the two photos of the fox look, even though they were shot at 1/80th and 1/60th. These images from the PL 200/2.8 lens are very impressive!
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quiz time and throwing "de knuppel in het hoenderhok": who said Panasonic's UI was a breeze ...

Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Great IQ indeed. For comparison
    https://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/56...tml#post748792
    FF ​ 1/50 s, 800mm handheld with image stabilization.
    With best regards, K-H.